Well, not technically in the voting booth, seeing as how voting is something we Americans get to do privately. Not that folks these days are especially concerned about whether or not the whole world knows who they're voting for. So, in that vain, I would just like to say that I am definitely intrigued by McCain's choice for running mate.
I don't know much (yet) about Governor Sarah Palin, but what I do know, added to what I saw of her speech earlier today, I am so far impressed. She is a maverick, a conservative, a reformer, a mother of five, a woman. Her political experience may be limited, but then, so is Obama's. She can, however, based on her current position as governor of Alaska, mark that experience as executive, something that I think might give her a slight edge to Obama's background with the legislative branch.
I think this was a clever move on McCain's part. Where Obama seems to only talk about change, McCain's gone and, by choosing a woman as his choice for vice president, actually enacted change. Either way, my waning interest in this election campaign has been renewed, and I now have a better reason than "I don't want to throw away my vote and, thereby, my right to complain about politics" to go to the polls this November.
21 comments:
I agree that this was a savvy political move on McCains part, Palin should shore up some of the conservative voters which have been reluctant to jump on board. I'm not so sure she's a maverick just yet, as far as I know McCain is the only one calling her that so far. And he's the one that keeps saying that about himself as well. There's nothing maverick about voting with Bush 90% of the time.
I'm not sure how much confidence I can put in Palin's management ability, although I agree that there is a substantive difference between governing a state and serving in the legislature. I for one am concerned about McCain's age and health, he's led a hard life and should he not make it we would have a president with zero experience in national and international government. Obama has been in State and U.S. Senate since 96, I'm not sure her two years really mean all that much.
By the way, congratulations on jumping into the fray with a controversial blog post, you're a brave woman.
I was intrigued by the pick too. I like her. I like that she's a woman, and an articulate one at that. Plus, a mom? Incredible. I like her more than Biden. But I still dislike McCain more than Obama.
And maybe it's just my Eastern boldness, bluntness, whatever you may call it, but what's so wrong with talking about who you are going to vote for? I think discussion brings attention to important issues for policy makers and the public (though you'll never find me with a picket sign - ugh). I guess it's just a personality quirk of mine, but I really dislike the concept of privacy. I want to know the real you, your real opinion, and I want you to know mine. I think all the societal 'dancing' around touchy issues is overrated and frustrating.
As for the issue of change, I'd have to say it's a matter of perspective. Obama, himself, being nominated as a person of color represents a great change in American history. The fact that he picked an experienced running mate (no matter how much I dislike Biden) adds credibility to his campaign. And did McCain intend for change in his pick or is it an attempt to sway feminists his way? And I don't expect that you (or anyone) will necessarily agree with me. But it makes for good discussion, don't you think?
Wow. Just wrote a novel. I swear, I'm done.
I'm not sure how I feel about her being a mother. It seems like we want complete dedication from our leadership in such high offices. Obama has children that are still relatively young but Palin has a newborn. I just think it must be so hard on these families as it is, God bless Bush for taking almost 1 1/3 years of vacation while he was in office but even his daughters couldn't stay out of trouble.
I just don't think her being a mother is all that helpful as a job qualification, because a mother who puts her family first probably isn't putting in the hours at the whitehouse that the job requires.
And I agree Sarah Kay, I say the more discussion the better!
Okay, so, though I wasn't by any means intending this to be a controversial topic (my intention with this post was to state that McCain's choice intrigues me), I'm itching to make some response. So let's make this a conversation, shall we?
Davey - On the term "maverick." I actually haven't heard McCain call her that. The evening news reporters clued me into this adjective. I also don't necessarily think that McCain's age means that he won't be able to serve for at least four years. Now, before anyone jumps to any conclusions about what side of the partisan divide my heart lies on, let me just say that I'm not particularly happy with either McCain or Obama. McCain's choice to add a woman to the ticket does make things interesting, though. That's all I'm saying.
Sarah Kay - You're one smart cookie, you know that? I suppose that's why you went to law school. I love it when you share your political opinions because, even though I don't necessarily agree 100% with them, I can always respect them because I know you've considered them in a well-rounded way. I wish sometimes that I was less of a quiet, private person and more of a "let's discuss" kind of person. Discussing is fun. Speaking of, have YOU ever considered a career as VP? :)
Rachel - You bring up an interesting issue with Palin's double-duty line of work. I agree with you that I, for one, could not do both. I couldn't devote myself full time to being a mother while meantime holding a high political office -- or a measly desk job, for that matter. But I've known some women who are absolutely incredible in that they somehow can manage both -- and successfully, at that (for my fellow Muncie friends...don't you think Charlotte W. would make a killer VP?). Some women, too, I think might have personalities that love their children better when they're able to spend some time away from them. It doesn't mean they love them any less, they just prioritize their time differently. And somehow they make it work. Palin's job as a mother doesn't necessarily better qualify her as a white house candidate, but it does add an interesting perspective.
While her appointment is a huge demographic ploy, it does make things interesting. She could potentially bring a fresh new perspective to a room full of crusty old men. Even more so than Obama.
I was in the middle of the road with Obama and McCain since I'm not a huge fan of either, but Obama's appointment of Biden turned me off and Palin piqued my interest. She seems smart, articulate, and is actually a conservative (something you can't say about McCain). We'll see how she holds up under media fire between now and the campaign.
Celia - You pinned down my thoughts almost exactly, only it wasn't so much that I was "middle of the road" with Obama and McCain...I just didn't much like either option. But the VP choices have tipped the scales slightly (in favor of McCain, in case this post didn't make that obvious). It's definitely intriguing and definitely makes me more interested in going to vote this year.
Intrigued is right! I was getting quite bored with the whole thing until yesterday. At first I was disappointed... I was still hoping for Romney. But the more I listened about Palin the more I like her... she just seems REAL. We'll see what happens.
The vast majority of politicians are fathers but nobody gets too intigued by that. While it is nice to have fresh face, one that has won a few beauty pageants, I think this is exactly what McCain wanted. It distracts from his age and crotchetiness, and gets us all intrigued so we will associate him with someone more palatable. Really she's not qualified.
I too am excited with the choice, and I like what I see so far. She seems like a straight-shooter, which is very refreshing. I like the conservatism she brings to the ticket....something badly needed. I have slight concerns about her being a mother of five YOUNG children, but if she has a supportive husband, then what's the big deal? While I think this was somewhat strategic on McCain's part, it is also wise. McCain has alienated much of the RNC base, and needs to prove that he can appeal to these grassroots values. Picking a young intelligent female blows Obama out of the water and shows flexibility on his part. (Obama never stood a chance for my vote anyway.) McCain was not my first choice for the nomination, but this latest decision has me intrigued.
(Most Senators have a voting streak of 90% with Bush--since they count everything: attendance, minuscule appointments, commending persons or teams, etc. Most of the votes in the Senate are unanimous.)
Meh. Qualified...all the people who are qualified in years of political employ are so jaded and corrupted. That's why Obama (who is hardly qualified himself) and Palin are interesting fresh faces with appealing ideas.
If we keep doing what we're doing (voting for the same old crusty "experienced"--corrupted--men), we'll keep getting what we've gotten. How's that working for us? Not so well. Our economy's bust. Our kids aren't measuring up intellectually. It's time for something new. (Yes, I understand it's ironic that the new I think I want is saddled with the oldest of the old crusty men I mentioned.)
Plus, it's not like the president really does much on their own. They have a cabinet to advise. If McCain dropped dead and she were left as Pres., she'd most likely pull an Obama and pick someone a little more seasoned anyway.
I think this had added a whole to new light to the campaign thus far. I had become very bored with it all. There is one thing I'm particularly interested in though. Palin's newborn has Down's syndrome. She knew this before he was born and chose not to abort him. I'm hoping to have more awareness on this subject whether she makes it to the White House or not. ~Joyce
I would agree that should McCain die, she will most likely bring in some experience but that's what Bush did as well. Eight years ago I would have thought that no one man can do that much damage but I was proved wrong. We haven't had a leader in the whitehouse in eight years, I just don't think we can place any significant faith in the inexperience of Palin.
And I know that most Senators have voting records in line with Bush, Obama has made some votes recently that have made me very upset. But most senators don't run around calling themselves mavericks either.
Davey, isn't that exactly what Barack is doing? He's not particularly qualified to be pres., so he brings in the seasoned politician as his VP. I don't see much difference.
A friend of mine posted some of his thoughts that really captured what I was thinking here. He also included a couple of links to some pro and anti Palin arguments. He quotes this passage from David Frum at the National Review, which I think makes an interesting point:
"Yes, if I had been a Democratic donor back in 2006, I'd sure worry about whether Barack Obama had what it took to be president. That was before he took on the toughest political operation in America, before he beat Bill and Hillary Clinton, before he won 18 million primary votes.
Obama's nomination was not handed to him. He fought hard for it and won against the odds. "Qualifications" predict achievement. Once you have achieved, it doesn't matter what your qualifications are. Who cares whether the guy who built a big company from nothing didn't have much of a resume when he started? But if you are applying to run a big company built by somebody else, the resume matters ...
I too don't particularly care for either candidate. Obama is full of hot air and McCain isn't very motivational. But when it comes to VP choice, Obama's makes me roll my eyes and McCain's makes me sit up and take notice. I think he made a very interesting move.
I don't know much about Palin but other people seem to. She wouldn't have even made the short list if she wasn't doing something right.
I like Palin. I have listened to her speak a couple of times now and she sounds very down-to-earth. I like that she is cut and dry on the issues. She isn't wishy-washy. I think it may hurt McCain that she is so conservative, but it could help too. This whole situation has made me pick up and take notice. I wasn't so interested with Hillary, but Palin has my attention!
PS I LOVE that she is a mom! Yes, you have to prioritize differently, but women are amazing that way!
Here's an article on the response to Palin in terms of her motherhood. I don't think that the vice presidency is really the kind of job that someone with so many issues to juggle can really manage in the way that the American people should require.
Also, in terms of her doing something right, apparently nobody really checked into that, according to this article.
Lindsay, I love that you've opened this up for discussion. I tried and tried to think of something eloquent and clever to say but really didn't come up with much. When it comes to this topic, the right words seem to elude me. But the simple fact of the matter is this: if McCain wins it will be absolutely devastating to the men and women in the military and to their families.
I personally have a lot at stake this election year and I intend to vote for Obama. My children went without their Daddy for FIFTEEN months last year. If you're not the one "doing the time", it's hard to wrap your head around, but just try to imagine having Blake gone for over a year at a time. That would mean essentially that your husband would NEVER have even met Garrett yet and wouldn't get to do so for at least a couple more months.
Some of our brave soldiers have deployed FOUR and FIVE times. That means over FIVE years away from the people they love. You simply can not imagine the toll this takes on their families.
McCain promises to continue the policies of the current Bush administration and as his vice president Palin would/could only do the same. While Obama promises a plan for troop withdrawal, McCain says he would leave US troops in Iraq for another 100 years if he has to. Enough US blood has been shed--enough lives lost, enough damage done. I need my husband, and my kids need their dad.
"Interesting" though she may be, Palin, and more importantly McCain, are the worst possible choices for our country at this time.
Erin, thank you for sharing your heartfelt thoughts and feelings. Sometimes on blogs I forget that there are real people behind the words I read, but that wasn't a temptation when I read your comment. There was so much vulnerable honesty in your efforts to express your experience and thoughts on the issues facing our country and you personally. I, and I'm sure everyone participating in this discussion regardless of our political ideologies would want to offer our support and gratitude for all the sacrifice and pain you've gone through. Like you said, I'm sure there's no way to really understand what it's like to be in your position without actually being there, but I just want to thank you for offering us a tiny glimpse.
I find her to be a total embarassment. She has a son with down's syndrome. Who is going to raise that little boy while she is in office? And her daughter is preganant. Who is going to help that little girl raise her child? The GOP could have picked another VP. Bristol and Trig Palin only have one mother. Those are not my family values.
Lindsay, I feel I should appologize for keeping this thread going. I just wanted to say that while it's noble to think of Sarah Palin's family, realize that as VP she will more than likely have a much more lenient schedule than she did as Governor, and will have more opportunities to spend time with her family. For an already working mom, this will probably be a welcomed blessing for her family.
Post a Comment