Saturday, August 09, 2008

china on my mind

Last night Beijing blew us away. China certainly outdid themselves with their use of technology and precision during the Olympic Opening Ceremonies, making it incredibly difficult to pick just one favorite part of the program. But I will say that I especially loved watching the lighting of the Olympic flame. And even though I had to stay up way past my bedtime to see that flame lit, it was still burning brightly this morning. And so, armed with a day pack and a brother-in-law who speaks Chinese, we headed for Chinatown.

us, along with our weird alien-son, in Chinatown. (Yeah...not sure what sort of face he was trying to pull for this picture.)

It was my second visit to Chinatown, and probably my most enjoyable, owing, no doubt, in large part to the fact that Eric speaks Chinese. With his guidance, we braved a few shops (where his amazing skills brought down the price on an item we didn't actually want to buy), partook of exotic and strange free samples in a candy shop (and I use the word "candy" loosely), and purchased treats in a bakery (the fried buns, which are basically just sugar donuts, are delicious). I bought a lovely porcelain rice bowl for only a buck, and walked down crooked Doyer Street, where I spotted this fantastic sign in a restaurant window:



Other enjoyable highlights of today:

For most of the day, Garrett was all giggles, babbling, and happy squeals.


He even waved to us while on the swings in Madison Square Park:



And then, somewhere on the wild streets of New York City, Garrett kicked off and lost one of his brand new sandals. Ooh, I was upset. We looked and looked, retracing our steps to the best of our ability, with no luck. It's gone forever. I swear, the sidewalks here will eat your valuables alive if leave them even briefly unattended.

Sigh.

I guess it's a good thing that, even with only one sandal, he's still cute.

7 comments:

Lyndsie Miles said...

He is a cutie... even while missing one shoe. That sounds like a fun day in China Town!
Chris went to Japan on his mission and I've been looking for some cute rice bowls... I'm just looking in the wrong city... and state!

Sara said...

We definitely need to visit NY!

JoEllen said...

I hate to lose things, especially shoes! It's hard for me to find little boy shoes I like that won't break my budget! He is still adorable and I love the swing video.

Emily said...

I'm so jealous that you get to have a little taste of China! I have to agree that the opening ceremonies were very impressive. We also love cheering on Michael Phelps! Go USA!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, that's sad about the sandal!

You guys sure know how to show visitors a good time. I hope to be one of them someday.

Emily said...

Bummer about the sandal. Kids shoes are impossible. I'm amazed that I've never actually lost one, I've had so many close calls! I loved the opening ceremonies too. Talk about (can't quite think of a word good enough to describe it here)-ly impressive. I love the Olympics! You're an amazing tour guide, by the way. You should charge.

Anonymous said...

Cute is an understatement! He's completely adorable! He has such an exquisite little face. I love it!