Wednesday, August 20, 2008

wacky dreams all around

To start this post, I want to share a poem that was published last October in the New Yorker:

Dream with Flowers and Bowl of Fruit

Too many of my dreams these days are boring.
I expect to drop into the pillow
and see the kind of action night is for --
a psychic workout, romance, close escapes:
Not much gets accomplished in a still-life;

nobody looks at asters as a way
to get a taste of life. I want to happen,
not to slightly rearrange my day
nightly in a recurring tablescape.
Dreams! However beautiful the apples,

fruit is low on drama, and I miss
passion, flying, falling, being chased,
crashing, panic -- trauma -- and I miss,
small and quick, a movement in the grapes,
and the shiver of a petal in the vase.

--Deborah Warren

Awesome poem, don't you think? Such an interesting way to express a wish for nighttime dreams which are more than just a rearranged still life of daytime routines. I especially love the line "However beautiful the apples,/fruit is low on drama."

More often than not, my dreams are wacky and drama-filled, anything but rearranged fruit on a quiet table. Some of them have been so vivid, I still remember them quite clearly, like the bizarre one I had when I was about 14.

Before I dive into the dream itself, a quick geography lesson is in order. The house I grew up in was a split entry, with the main living area upstairs, and the laundry room and a large playroom/family room downstairs. The latter was located to the right of the bottom of the staircase, just beyond the under-the-stairs storage, and was entered by way of a dark brown, wooden door.

And now the dream:

I was calmly walking down the upper flight of stairs. Everything was present day and in technicolor. But as soon as I reached the landing by the front door, my world turned black and white, I was in an enormous hurry, and I'd been transported back to the 1940s. I rushed down the second flight of stairs, turned to the right to face a door no longer solid brown, but which now had a window on the upper half. The glass was of that thick, pieced together sort that is all but impossible to see clearly through, and there was black lettering, displayed in an arch, announcing what sort of room I was about to enter. I don't know what the words actually said, but apparently it was some sort of open newsroom.

I flung the door open and yelled, "Stop the presses! I've just discovered a new word!" Everyone gave me their full attention and then suddenly the screen of my dream when black and a twirling newspaper spun into focus, highlighting the fabulous new word I'd just created. I don't remember what the new word was, or what it meant, but I can tell you that it called for a lovely assortment of little-used letters like "x," "z," and "q." Also, it was beautiful, not only for its useful meaning, but for the actual shape the letters made joined together in this particular order.

My creation of this word helped me to quickly achieve world fame. The next thing in my dream that I remember is an image of me, dressed in fabulous post-war garb, including a large hat worn tilted to one side, riding in the back of a classic convertible car through a New York City ticker-tape parade held in my honor. I somehow was able to produce the most exquisite wave as I acknowledged my adoring public. It was awesome.

And that, my friends, is a classic example the wacky dreams, which are about as far removed from a "still life" as I think you can get, that I am wont to often have. What are some of your wacky dreams?

9 comments:

Desmama said...

Pregnancy gives rise to all sorts of craziness on the dream front, and last night, for me, was no exception. Except that the dream was so wacky and embarrassing I just can't bring myself to share it. I'm sure I'll have other dreams that may be less, er, odd, to share.

Claudia said...

Do you realize your dream was premonitory?? You were waving at your crowd in NY ... well now you have your "crowd" (the two men in your life) and you live in NY. :D

I've had tons of weird dreams, I've had the typical walking naked on the street and everyone noticed but me. Or the one where you are running late and things keep happening preventing you from getting to your final destination. I've had dreams about water floods covering the whole beach, houses and everything with unrealistic big waves but somehow I always manage to find a safe spot and survive :D
The list could go on and on.
Cool Post!

Heather said...

I actually had this extremely bizarre dream last night. I was extremely pregnant and went into labor at my grandfather's house. We weren't able to get the hospital and I delivered my 13 1/2 lb. baby with no complications and NO PAIN in my gradfather's living room. I was so amazed that it didn't hurt at all! I was equally shocked when my grandfather was furious that I had gotten blood on his carpet...go figure.

Kristi said...

I often have MacGyver-type espionage dreams that are vivid enough that I could draw the layout of the land after I wake up. But then I also have random weird dreams where BlueEyes leaves me at a planned family campout to go to Belize with his dad. And my dad had a pet squirrel that I was afraid of, so BlueEyes was leaving me with the scary squirrel for Belize.

Sarah said...

That is a dang awesome dream, Lindsay. I wish i had such exciting dreams. And please tell me you've read "Ella Minnow Pea" b/c you should as the lover-of-words that you are consciously and subconsciously.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I have been having very vivid dreams for many years now and just started realizing it was because I sleep very lightly, especially in the morning hours. I remember all kinds of crazy stuff happening, mostly because I wake up right after. I have a long list of dreams made into stories that I hope to write sometime. I won't bore you with the details, or this comment will go on and on...

goddessdivine said...

I have some wacked-out dreams. I actually had one last night, and was thinking about it on the way to work, and now I can't remember it.

Anonymous said...

That is an awesome dream, Lindsay. And it's made greater by the fact that I know your old house and what your talking about. That's cool. I have strange dreams all the time, most unwanted and freaky, but there are some that I can remember having since I was a little girl. One was about me and my family (pre-mom's death) and we were driving in our old blue and gray van. Do you remember that van? Anyway, the dream goes on that we're driving along a cliff with a drop of about 400 feet or so. The van falls, and miraculously I get out of the van and am holding onto the edge of the cliff, my legs dangling. That's where the dream always ended. I never did find out what happened since I don't have that dream anymore. But I used to dream that quite often as a kid. Weird, eh?

JoEllen said...

I am well known in my family for crazy dreams! I once dreamt so vividly that my sister had been murdered in a really horrific way (sparing you the technacolor details) that I had to call her in the middle of the night just to make sure she was still alive.

Lately, I have been dreaming about twins. Twin boys to be precise, whose names are Vincent (Vinny) and Nicholas (Nicky). I dream about being pregnant with them, I dream about them as toddlers and I dream about them as infants. I dream about them so much that it makes Big Sal a little nervous! :)

In Texas I had a dream that a friend of ours was called to the bishopric and I was talking to his wife about it in the hallway at church. About a month later he was called as the second counselor! :)