let me be the first to tell you that not only is his style very surreal and a little weird, it can also be incredibly creepy.
"Soft Construction with Boiled Beans"I learned this evening that Dali was not only a painter but a filmmaker as well. He worked with Alfred Hitchcock to design the set for Spellbound:

He also worked with director Luis Buñuel on the bizarrely surreal (and intensely disturbing) film Un chien andalou:

He also worked with director Luis Buñuel on the bizarrely surreal (and intensely disturbing) film Un chien andalou:

On the walls throughout the exhibit were projected the various films Dali took part in the production of. I watched about three minutes of Un chien andalou before I couldn't stomach anymore. I don't know about you, but watching ants crawl out of a hole in a man's hand is really not my cup of tea.

It was an interesting exhibit, and worth the "free Friday" crowds, if only to be able to see "The Persistence of Memory" in person, but as we walked out of the museum, I couldn't help but agree with Blake's thoughts: "I'm not sure if I can trust anyone who says that Dali is their favorite artist."
Intending to prevent any potential frighteningly surreal dreams tonight, I did a little Google search once we got home in the hopes that I'd find some redeeming qualities in Dali's style. Happily, I did. Here are a few gems that I'll leave you with:




6 comments:
I have to admit that I'm jealous you get to go to MoMA whenever you want! I definitely would have gone to see this exhibit. My fifth grade teacher loved Salvador Dali and always showed us his paintings (not the disturbing ones, thank goodness). I've always like Dali ever since! I really like the Woman at the Window picture. Well, you've inspired me to get to the St. Louis Art Museum again soon (although it won't hold a candle to the MoMA of course.)
I love the Woman at the Window.
"The Persistence of Memory" is the only photo I really have experience with too. In fact, it was the only one I recognized in that exhibit. Did you watch the movie at the end? Weird...
My English teacher senior year incorporated a lot of art in our curriculum. I totally remember that "Persistence of Memory" one. And I really like the "Woman at the Window". Never seen it before but it's beautiful. That's something I would hang in my house.
LINDSAY!
I was looking at the august photos and you have my shirt!! When did you get it??
-Chelsea (your sister)
You should have seen the creepy stuff in the Dali museum in Paris. Very interesting and at the same time disturbing. I wouldn't be too thrilled to watch any movies he helped out with (though, I am in general a Hitchcock fan).
Post a Comment