Governor's Island, located about a half mile from the southern tip of Manhattan, and even closer to Brooklyn, has a very rich history:
- Sighted in 1524 by Giovanni da Verrazzano;
- Explored in 1609 by Henry Hudson;
- Settled in 1624 by the Dutch West India Company (and called "Noyten Eylant," or Nutten Island);
- Privately acquired in 1637 by the Dutch governor of New Netherland;
- Overtaken in 1664 by the British during their occupation of New Amsterdam;
- Renamed in 1698 to Governor's Island, for the “benefit and accommodation of His Majesty’s Governors";
- Occupied in April 1776 by George Washington and his rebel troops, and fortified that summer in preparation for battle with the British;
- Falls, in September 1776, to the British after the disastrous defeat at the Battle of Long Island (then known as the Battle of Brooklyn);
- Surrendered, in 1783, to the Americans at the close of the Revolution;
- Ceded in 1800 by New York to the United States. At about this time, construction begins to build up the island as a military post;
- Served, from 1861 to 1865, as both the central recruiting station for Civil War soldiers on the Eastern Seaboard and as a prison camp for captured Confederates;
- Hosted, in 1909, as the starting point for the first airplane flight over American waters. Wilbur Wright took off from the island, circling the Statue of Liberty once before returning;
- Was, from 1914 to 1918, a major supply base and embarkation point during the First World War;
- Served, from 1939 to 1945, as an administration center and the chief reception center during the Second World War;
- Was handed over, in 1966, by the U.S. Military to the U.S. Coast Guard;
- Was abandoned, in 1996, by the Coast Guard;
- Was purchased, in 2002, from the federal government by New York for only $1;
- Became, in 2003, a National Monument, open on weekends in the summer for visitors...
and began our explorations of the island. Some of the highlights included:
The circular Castle Williams was, hands down, the most impressive defensive fort on Governor's Island. Built in the decade before the War of 1812, the stronghold was so commanding that its very presence on the island influenced the British to not attack New York during that war. During the Civil War, it served as a military prison for captured Confederate soldiers, and, in the years following, continued to simultaneously serve as both a military prison and a barracks.
Despite the unfortunate sunburn I received during the course of the day (the one outing I forget to don sunscreen for...), I give Governor's Island two thumbs up. We had a blast wandering around this serene piece of history. And this weekend was an especially appropriate time to visit because the parks service was commemorating the infamous Battle of Brooklyn, which was fought 232 years ago later this week, with various activities (none of which, unfortunately, we timed right enough to participate in). We plan to return again next summer and maybe then we'll take them up on their offer of inexpensive bike rentals and ride around the island.
8 comments:
That is something I have never heard about before. How fun! And very educational!
If I were still homeschooling my kids this year I would totally use your blog for educational purposes! I learned alot!
I am smarter now than I was five minutes ago... thanks for the education! I'm glad you got to enjoy a little escape from the city. It seems like you had fun.
I love the picture of Garrett sticking his head in the breeze. Ah, the simple pleasures! It reminds me of riding in my dad's truck as a kid.
It must be so fun to have seen so much already, but to still have an infinite number of things to see.
I am so jealous of all the history you get to experience out there. That sounds like a fascinating trip.
It looks like New York is still lots of fun in the summertime. Hope you guys are well... Garrett looks so much bigger than last time we saw him!!
We always meant to go there but family days together were just too scarce. Now I don't have to!
beautiful,
i have lived soo close for soo long and have never been there. i will surely try to go soon and see everything for myself, thanks
Post a Comment