Monday, August 18, 2008

re-upholstery

About a month after Blake and I were married, my parents moved up the hill to a new house. An upgrade in their home meant a simultaneous upgrade for a few of their furnishings, and Blake and I were fortunate enough to be handed down some old pieces of furniture. One item (which I believe had been handed down to my parents around the time of their marriage) was an old sewing cabinet. The sewing machine was no longer intact, but, being a good, solid piece of well-put together wood with four drawers and an accompanying chair, we decided to take it and use it as a desk. For the last year or so, it has housed our computer.

A few months ago the upholstery on the chair pad began to rip. Not knowing exactly how to go about fixing it, and assuming that I lacked the funds to do so, I pretended not to notice as it gradually got worse.



Recently, during a webcam conversation with my family, my mom noticed the state of the chair and said, "You know, Lindsay, you can easily fix that. The seat just pops right off and you can staple a new piece of fabric to it."

Staple fabric?

Sure, she told me. Fold the fabric over and staple it to the bottom. She'd reupholstered it that way years ago to match the room it was kept in. It wouldn't take much for me to go find some fabric to match our new couch and rug to make the chair look as good as new.

Today I braved the tiny fabric store across the street from our apartment. The first time I went in, several months ago, I'd been scared away from the messy piles of unapproachable fabrics and foreign language the proprietor spoke. But this morning I tried again and was happily surprised that the quilting fabrics were now more easily accessible. I picked something out, spent about ten minutes tearing off the old seat cover and stapling on the new, and voila! Good as new!

16 comments:

Lyndsie Miles said...

Oh! That looks beautiful! I always have such a wonderful feeling after doing a fix-it project I thought was too much to do!
Great job!

Nancy said...

Could you do a couch for me?

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Looks fantastic! I LOVE it when things are easy like that.

KaLee said...

I really have an urge to take on a project like this--now I just need to figure out what exactly to recover. Hopefully it will turn out as fantastically as yours!

Jessica said...

Looks nice! I have a surprising fondness for that little chair as it's old home was somewhere in my new home...

Which room did this little chair used to call home?

Lindsay said...

Jessica - the sewing cabinet and chair lived in the master bedroom. I still think it's an incredibly small world that you and Elliot live in my old house! It's nice to know, though, that it's being loved by good people. :)

Kristie said...

Now you have a happy seat! (pun intended)

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

awesome. I wish our disgustingly ugly living room couch were so easily transformed.

JoEllen said...

You're so funny and now you know a little trick to spruce up any little well work chair seat! :)

goddessdivine said...

Dude, you are simply amazing. That chair looks awesome. I never would have thought to re-staple something like that.

Anonymous said...

What an improvement! It looks fantastic! I read Jessica's comment and also think it's weird that she and Elliot live in your old house. Do you remember Charlotte or Sharon McKinley from high school? I live in their old house. That is weird to me! Thanks for your blog..I really enjoy it!

xoBeau said...

Xcllnt job!

Anonymous said...

The chair had its beginning in your great-grandmother's home.

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Looks great!

Dave said...

Dear anonymous,
Was that the Grandma in Lovell or SLC?

jeanine said...

Looks beautiful!