But then I'd remember that too many miracles came to pass to bring us to the place and position we now found ourselves. We were supposed to be here. For what reasons exactly, I didn't know yet, but that didn't matter. I had a city I needed to learn to love.
I found the laundromat, the grocery store, the library, the bank, the pediatrician. I learned how to get places on the subway and how to tote an infant around on foot. Slowly I adapted to the culture of Brooklyn. With time I became a recognized part of my community. And in the process a certain fondness for it developed somewhere in my heart.
The other night in my Book of Mormon reading, I came across the following verse from Alma:
Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go [...] and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success.
Success we have indeed found. And blessings in abundance. More than once Blake and I have stopped to consider the fact that, had we been living in any other part of the country at this time of economy-crumbling, we'd be suffering greatly: the cost of living may be high here, but where else can you get away from the burden of monthly car and insurance payments, in addition to explosive gas prices? Where else can we stay so healthy just by going about our daily routines?
Which isn't to say that some days are just hard. I struggle with Blake's long work hours. I still wonder how well I fit in my ward. And life on foot in a big city is exhausting. But I've realized that my happiness is a choice: I can choose to wither in misery, or to bloom where I'm planted. I've decided to blossom, and this choice has led me to a kindred spirit, exhilarating outings, and a realization that my situation is in fact a pleasantly comfortable one.
This last year has been one of struggles, learning, and adapting. But it's also been one of happiness, growth, and incredible memory building. I like Brooklyn, and I'm starting to think that Brooklyn likes me.
19 comments:
I love your outlook on life. I do believe we make our own happiness, and so much of that depends on simply how we choose to see things. LOVE the "How sweet it is!" sign.
I admire your attitude so much. I'm glad you guys came and that you're a kindred spirit. I really think it's true (though corny) that once you've made it here, you can make it anywhere. Happy anniversary.
Oh Lindsay, Thank you so much! You have brought some beautiful light in my life today when I definitely need it. I too feel so much the same way about where we’re planted and having quite a bit of re-planting pains. But that is the point of life. Growing pains are part of the joy we feel. I guess what I feel in my ward isn’t so strange as well. Well, off for more learning and growth today! Thank you!
I loved this post Lindsay! I've had moments like that before of "do I really belong here?" I love that you have such a great perspective.
We sure miss you but are glad that you are "blooming in Brooklyn."
What the???? How the heck has it been a year?
Wow, a whole year! I so enjoy reading about your adventures and your sunny view on life. Thanks for sharing your positive attitude with all of us!
I occasionally stop to consider how amazing it is that we all are in God's hands, and how carefully he leads each of us to right where we belong if we just listen and follow. Sure things hurt along the way, but I love that he makes it all right somehow.
Lovely and inspiring! Thanks!
Congratulations on your year in Brooklyn! You really are an inspiration to anyone who's been uprooted and replanted somewhere new. Thanks for your thoughts.
So glad you are liking where you're at. That's always a helpful step towards happiness. ;-)
Happy Anniversary! Does that make you an official New-Yorker? :)
Happy Cityversary!! And thanks so much for letting us come along these past few years. I love keep up with my Lindsay and her beautiful family and her beautiful thoughts. Love to you.
Has it only been a year?! You seem much like a much more seasoned city girl... I'm inspired by your words. I'm not sure I could do what you've done in adapting and learning to love a place so different from what you're used to. I hope for much more happiness to come your way!
As a natural cynic, I have to say that your optimism isn't the type that annoys, but inspires. And that's a hard asset to find in anyone. That's why, I believe, your blog is so infectious and why it's on everybody's Must-Read list. I know that though I've espoused, "bloom where your planted" for years, you have helped me realize it to the fullest: be a tourist in your own town, and I've found that I'm happier. A curious thing I did not anticipate: I've lost friends. This is good and bad, because the friends I've lost were very negative, and I felt badly around them. But it hurts, nonetheless. Here's to blogging! It helps me stay in contact with wonderful people like you!
I may have said this before, but I am definitey a "bloom where you are planted" kind of girl myself.
I am glad that you have found the good in your situation. I know I sure have been enjoying all your adventures!
Well, well, you're officially a city-girl now! How fun! Congrats on the anniversary and I hope you continue blooming in the city!
Wow. Happy Cityversary. I have always been impressed with your astoundingly positive attitude in taking on the city, though like any good New Yorker it does its best to make you hate it. I admit I secretly hoped I was the kindred spirit because I so loved spending time with you (as did my girls), but it's impossible to compete with Emily, and I would never try. You are a beaming example of adaptation and you have made me miss you and Brooklyn terribly with this post! Sometimes I still wonder when we're going to quit this "vacation" and return home.
Thanks Lindsay! That was exactly what I needed today. I can totally relate to your comments about how you felt when you moved to Brooklyn and I am glad that I have had the opportunity to read your blog this year and see how you have adapted and blossomed.
Thanks for inspiring me to have a better attitude and making me laugh with your cute little boy's antics.
Hi! I don't know you but we both know Carrie. I just read her blog today and she referenced yours so I took a peak. I hope you don't mind. I do have a comment too. I know how you feel....we moved to Paris w/our then 8 month old and went through a depression for about a month, after the "honeymoon" phase was over. And now I miss it more than ever. That transient lifestyle that the city lends itself to is so convenient! Plus being a missionary is nice.
But I do have a question for you, that I hoped you could just comment on my blog about. My husband and I are going to be staying in NYC for 2 nights. Do you have any suggestions as to where NOT to stay. Or what parts in Brooklyn (or other areas) are safe? Our budget is as cheap as possible so we're willing to stay somewhere that is not perfect. But your suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Post a Comment