When we moved into our building, Blake told our supers that I was a writer. Periodically, when they see me out on the stoop relaxing with Garrett, they ask me how my writing is going. Always I am at a loss for what to say. After all, I'm not technically a published writer, nor am I currently trying very hard to get published. And I think that, to so many people, having your work published is what makes you a writer. But it makes me wonder: if I don't write for a living, but I write every day, can I still call myself a writer?
I suppose, if you look at my history, you might argue that I am published, if only slightly. I spent a year and a half writing for my high school newspaper. And during my sophomore year of college, I had some poetry published in the school literary journal. Though it hasn't resulted in a printed version of my work, I've placed well in a few writing contests: an honorable mention for short fiction in The New Era magazine, third place for a poem while at Ricks, and third place for my 100-word story in a short-short story writing contest at BYU. Still, though. That was then. Can I call myself a writer if my now is not like my then?
But, Lindsay, you might be saying, you write frequently on your blog. You publish posts to your blog. Doesn't that count? And I ask, I'm not sure, does it? Is this blog more than just a public journal or a communication with faraway friends and family? Have I harnessed an audience who reads me more for my ability to write than they do for the family updates? Again, I'm not sure.
Whether or not you could title me as a writer, I do consider writing to be more than just my hobby. It is my craft, my art. Words are my medium and I mold them into sentences and paragraphs just as an artist would turn a chunk of clay into a beautiful sculpture. I love twisting grammar to my advantage. Word choice thrills me. And while I know that sometimes there are typos and mistakes sprinkled in my writing, there are, at the same time, rarely ever accidents in what I create as every detail, every syllable, is carefully considered. I keep a notebook and something to write with on my person at all times, and I pull it out frequently to jot down ideas or a pleasant-sounding combinations of words or an opening or closing sentence. I don't necessarily flesh out every idea, but occasionally one sticks with me and eats away at me physically and mentally until I'm finally able to spit what I'm trying to say out on paper. Though it is not what I do for a living, I do devote myself to this craft, and everything I write, from blog posts and comments to a short story or poem, is awarded some measure of care and devotion. It can be exhausting, and I'm not always satisfied with what I produce, but I love it just the same.
Here is what I write: I write my day-to-day personal history in my journal. I write carefully crafted letters and emails. I contribute to a monthly writing group. When writing for an audience (i.e. on my blog), and sometimes also just for myself, I write personal essays. Occasionally my ideas come out looking like poems, and less often looking like fiction. I'm not very good at writing fiction -- can I still be called a writer?
I do write. I might not be prolific, but I do write. Whether or not I'm any good is not necessarily for me to decide, but I must admit: I do think I'm decent. So maybe I am a writer.
17 comments:
I say go for it, call yourself a writer. I think most of us are probably better writers than we think, and probably better writers than some authors who have been published. So yes Lindsay, you are a writer.
I say that you're a writer! But check this out too... http://borrowedlight.blogspot.com/2008/08/blog-book.html
I've tried to find a quotation I heard once that basically says the moment you sit down and begin writing --then you're a writer. I found another quotation by Meg Cabot: "the difference between someone who WANTS to write, and someone who DOES write is the person who FINDS the time is the one who is going to become a writer. The person who doesn’t, won’t." But you're a writer.
I happened on your blog by chance. I've come back time and time again because I enjoy the way you write. You make me smile and I feel like I've spent a year living in New York, through your writing. You are most definitely a WRITER!
Call yourself a writer...
Indeed, you are a writer. And a good one at that!
You definitely are a writer! Just not one actively pursuing monetary compensation for it.
Anyone can get something published - even paying for it themselves. When the time is right (meaning no toddlers under feet), I have no doubt that you'll be published on someone else's dime. And even if you choose never to seek publication, well, you'll certainly still have so much to pass to those you love, and they'll be the most appreciative audience imaginable. It's your craft and your passion, and dang it, you're fantastic at it. Keep it up, as always.
If the opinion of a lowly fellow blogger counts for anything, then my dear, you are most emphatically a writer.
Heck YES!!! You are a writter! I know a few people to help you in having a book published… just put a few ideas together… I know people will enjoy your writing… I love it!
I've wondered that about myself at times, but you qualify more as a writer that I would. You do a lot more with it.
So yes, you are a writer!
(Published, smublished.....)
You are definitely a writer. You know, when I open my Reader, and you have a new post, I always save it for last because I know that it will be well written and fabulous!
Today I read the end of Emily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery and thought of YOU when Emily said, "Why, I have to write--I can't help it by times--I've just got to."
I love that. Sometimes you just have to write something--you just do. I love to write also, but am very narrowed in my writing and style. I need to branch out more. Anyway...sorry for the long comment, you writer, you! Keep on writing! (Of course you will!)
I love this blog! I don't always have the time to keep up with all of the blogs I would like to but I always make sure to read yours. I have never met you but I feel like I know you and your family from the stories you share. I'm sorry I don't leave more comments but I count you as a very successful writer. Thanks for sharing your craft with us... we love it.
Kim
Even though I am your mother-in-law and read the post daily (and usually even more) to see what is going on in your lives (and to see the pictures of Garrett), I constantly marvel at how well you write. I feel like I am there with you experiencing these things myself. You have a real talent for writing that not everyone has. You are definitely a writer and I would read your blog even if you didn't have the best looking family in New York! (Please note -- I am not "anonymous" anymore.)
I didn't read any of the above comments but I'm sure they said you're totally a writer, b/c you are, but I still think it would make you happy if you got something "published" published, you know? One day? Go for it. Write a book. You do have a knack for it. Although I hate when people tell me to "go for my dreams" when I don't really believe it's something that can actually happen, so I guess...just do it if you want to! What a boring comment I made!
Absolutely you're a writer. Just because you're not published right now doesn't mean that it's not a hat for a different time. You're a writer, but can save being a world-famous writer for a later day when your little man's at school. :)
i think carrying around a notebook to jot down ideas--that alone--qualifies you as a "writer," in my mind. all the ppl i know that i consider real writers do that.
Post a Comment