Wednesday, September 17, 2008

the return of the ring

For nearly four years now, my wedding ring has never been off my finger for longer than a good night's sleep. So when, about a week and a half ago, as I took it off to wash a sink full of dishes, I noticed that one of the prongs supporting the diamond had broken off, I was a bit heartbroken. I knew that, in order to reduce the risk of any further damage, I should keep it off my finger until repairs could be made, so I tucked it safely away in the butterfly box Blake gave to me on our honeymoon as a wedding gift.

The jewelry store which accepted the insurance on the ring was all the way up on 34th Street in Manhattan, and it took me a few days before I could take it up there to get it fixed. The repair itself, minor though it was, took an entire week. For twelve days I felt like was walking around naked, which, let me assure you, is an uncomfortable feeling as you leave the house to go grocery shopping. I tried clothing my left ring finger with the silver knot ring I normally wear on my right hand. I even tried walking around wearing my Nauvoo prairie diamond. Neither, though, could fill the void.

But yesterday the call came: my ring was as good as new and ready to be back on my finger. Blake picked it up during his lunch break and guarded it with his very life as he finished out the workday and attended to some evening responsibilities at the church. Late last night, after he returned home from bishopric meeting, he put the ring, all pristine and shiny, back where it belonged.

It's nice to feel dressed again.

10 comments:

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Phew!
I know what you mean about the naked thing. I lost my wedding ring when we first moved here--for about eight months. It was horrible. Nothing felt right on that finger. Then, one day, I picked up a towel that had fallen out of the dryer in the laundry room and heard a 'clink'. There it was--what a relief!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

That's one reason I'm glad I have no prongs keepin' my diamond in. Good thing you caught it!

Anonymous said...

I had to take mine off during the last trimester of my pregnancy because I was so swollen all over. I had it off for so long it felt weird to put it back on after I finally got back to my normal size.

Mel said...

Lucky. My ring has been missing since Labor Day weekend. I have no idea where to look for it anymore.

Sarah Kay said...

Mine didn't (and still occasionally) doesn't fit when I'm really swollen - like when I'm pregnant. But I got really nasty stares for being pregnant and not having a ring. So I bought a fake...and it left my hand green. Nothing feels quite the same as a ring from your sweetheart - especially if you walk around with green fingers or nothing at all.

Ashley Thalman said...

um......you won!

Jolynn said...

I love the engagement story. So cute! I had to get my ring fixed last month and I know how you feel, it is really weird.

Lyndsie Miles said...

How sweetly put! I love your writing.
I understand the naked thing... except each time I'm three months pregnant... my finger's turn to short, stubby sausages and I can't put my ring on until three months after my babies are born! I also try to wear other rings, but it just isn’t the same… the naked feeling remains.

Anonymous said...

It is devastating to lose one's wedding ring. I lost mine when Darryl and I had been married almost two years. And I lost it at the hotel that he worked at...weird. Anyway, someone in residence at the hotel found it and turned it in. I was so happy to get clothed again!

On Tuesday nights I have class and am not allowed to wear any jewelry, so when I have my ring off, I really DO feel naked...what a mad feeling when you have to exercise in front of men....

Kristi said...

It's so interesting how missing a piece of jewelry can make you feel so naked. My ring both intrigues and scratches Katelyn, so I don't wear it (or my watch, or my CTR ring) very often. It's always nice to put them back on.