Sunday, September 07, 2008

trivial knowledge gained by the experience of living here

Whether or not everything on the following list is actually true, I've been led to believe it is in the time that we've been here.

  • You order a pie, not a pizza.
  • How much you pay for rent is everyone's business.
  • Humid weather (like the intense humid heat we experience yesterday and the day before while waiting for Tropical Storm Hanna to hit) makes it very difficult to bake.
  • To be a New Yorker is to be a food critic. They are one in the same.
  • You don't push a button for an elevator, you call it.
  • Neighborhoods with lots of eights in the addresses will likely have a lot of Chinese people populating them. Also, if you need to sell your house, and there are multiple eights in the address, it is likely it will sell quickly, and to a Chinese person.
  • Borough hierarchy, according to a Manhattanite: 1. Manhattan 2. Brooklyn 3. Queens 4. The Bronx 5. What was that other borough? 6. New Jersey
  • Borough hierarchy, according to a Brooklynite: 1. Brooklyn 2. Everywhere else
  • Manhattanites typically only go to Brooklyn accidentally.
  • It's a cellar, not a basement.
  • They may have been in California for the last fifty years, but the Dodgers never really left Brooklyn.
  • Sushi is a New York institution.
  • So is handball.
  • Kids trick or treat at small business storefronts, not at homes.
  • A New York cookbook consists of take-out menus.
  • Every public clock in the city is in tip-top working order and tells the time precisely.
  • Distance is not measured in miles, but rather in blocks/avenues, minutes, and subway stops.
  • Once you've eaten a fresh New York bagel, there's no going back to "lesser" varieties.

18 comments:

Desmama said...

Heh, those are pretty cool!

Sarah Kay said...

I knew most of those, but not the number 8. That's really interesting. (And hey, what's so wrong with Jersey? JK. New York - anywhere in NY - is better.

Sarah said...

Love the list, Lindsay. Have you had anyone talk about NY bagels? I dated a guy from Scarsdale and he was impressed when I knew about the difference b/t NY bagels and other bagels. Doesn't that just sound like a New Yorker?

Lindsay said...

Oh my goodness, Sarah. Bagels! I can't believe I forgot to list how FABULOUS New York bagels are. Seriously. We have a favorite bagel shop two blocks down from us, and eating their goods is a privilege, they're so delicious! Once you've eaten a fresh New York bagel, there's no going back to "lesser" varieties. I'll have to amend my list.

Erin said...

Wait, wait...I have one: You wait ON line, not IN line.

I LOVE this! Every bit of it is entirely true.

Kelly said...

I think the other burrough is Staten Island.

Carrie said...

What is the difference between NY bagels and the lesser varieties? I trust that you are correct in your judgement, but I am really curious. Could you give a description of why they are so yummy?

Leslie said...

Ha! These are hilarious. I've never been to NY. But, I'm getting a nice picture in my head of what it's like. I want to do a list like this someday of the things I'm learning here in Madison.

Lindsay said...

Oh, we all know the other borough is Staten Island, but I'm under the impression that other New Yorkers (especially Manhattanites) often "forget" it's there.

And those bagels. They could be so good here because they are fresh. Or maybe it's because many times they're made by Jews. I can't quite pinpoint as to WHY they're so good. They just are. Especially when they're plump and toasted and smeared with "house specialty" cream cheese. Oh, heaven.

Also, I haven't heard the ON line rather than IN line, but I'll take your word for it, Erin. After all, you live in these parts, too. :)

Kristie said...

Those are good things to know, maybe (once we finally get to visit) we won't look so non -New Yorky. Although when I'm eating 1/2 a dozen bagels in a sitting people might get suspicious!

Lyndsie Miles said...

Oh, I LOVE NY bagels!

jeanine said...

What a fun list!

Wendy said...

How about these:

1- You stand "on" line not "in" line.
2- New Yorkers "ax" a question, not "ask."

cherry said...

Funny how "Wendy" mentioned that New Yorkers "ax" a question and not "ask"....i thought i was the only one who noticed it....

Krysta said...

Cute post! Isn't it funny how we all share the same country, but very different nuances, depending on where we live??

And I beleive you on the bagel. Once I had Irish and English yogurt, it has been hard for me to go back to American. Bleck.

Eric said...

I'm impressed you picked up on the Chinese liking the number "8". "8" is the luckiest Chinese number because it sounds very similar to the word for prosperity. "8" is "ba" and prosperity is "fa". In China, you have to pay extra to get license plates or offices with 8's in them.

Katie said...

Culture shock!

I love it!

Lance and Kristi said...

I actually used your blog posting to teach the boy that I am tutoring what "dialect" is....Thanks for providing great teaching material! He will now remember the difference between dialect, accent and diction for the rest of his life.