Located on the corner just two blocks down from us, Bagel Boy would seem from the outside to be nothing more than your typical New York bagel joint. Based on the nearly round-the-clock business it receives, not to mention the mouthfuls of breaded delicacies I've devoured, I must conclude that, to their devoted patrons, at least, Bagel Boy is something more.
Their menu consists of the usual deli items: sandwiches, pasta salads, muffins, and the like. I must admit, though, that the only things I've eaten there are bagels. Wait, I take that back. Once I tried a filled croissant (they're buy-one-get-one-free in the evenings), and it was good, but I like the bagels more.
A bagel, which is always plump and freshly baked on the premises, and which comes in such varieties as plain, whole wheat, onion, cinnamon raisin, egg, everything, and poppy seed, served with plain cream cheese will cost you $1.75. You must get it toasted because, well, it's just better that way. For an additional $1.25, you can have your toasted bagel smeared with a flavored cream cheese. I've tried the vegetable, honey almond, and banana walnut, and prefer them in the order listed. I'm dying to try their sun dried tomato, but it's always out of stock when I go in, and I have it on good authority that their lox is delicious. But no matter what kind of cream cheese you get, it will always be piled on so high and thick it will drown out the bagel it's spread on.
Just in case all this talk of delicious New York bagels makes you want to hop on a plane and come see for yourself what all the fuss is about, let me first give you some basic instructions on how to order one. New Yorkers, in general, are fantastically nice people, but if there's one way to step on their toes, it's to order a bagel incorrectly. It might not seem a difficult thing to do, but there is definitely an art to it which I'm still trying to master. First of all, speak loud and clear. The hustle and bustle of good business and background baking brings up the decibel levels, and no one likes to be told after they've made your order that they didn't hear you right. Second, be quick. Know what you want to order before you get in line and make sure that your instructions are given in an orderly fashion. If it's a group order, tell them so at the beginning; it will save everyone unnecessary hassle at the register. And last, don't be afraid to make small talk. New Yorkers, whether they know you by name or not, love to tell you their life story, and as such expect you to do the same.
If you're still not convinced as to the lip-smacking wonders of Bagel Boy, try this little tidbit on for size. One day, as we were walking home, Blake and I were passed by a hurried ambulance blaring its sirens. We wondered for a moment what the emergency was, but then we saw it pull up and stop in front of Bagel Boy. The engine died, and all on board got out and sauntered inside. Apparently the alarm was for bagel-craving induced hunger pains.
11 comments:
Okay. I'm coming. And I already know what I want so I'm halfway ready to order. Sounds delicious.
I'll hide in Mommyofthree's suitcase:-)
Ahh, I really do need to come for a visit. My mouth is drooling.
Ordering bagels sounds a lot like ordering soup in NY.
I dearly love NYC. Hearing about it's wonders (like Bagle Boy) makes me want to visit again, and again, and again. Don't be surprised if I show up at your place sometime soon!
Your instructions about ordering a bagel remind me of the Soup Nazi episode on Seinfeld. "No soup for you!"
Funny you guys should mention the similarities between ordering bagels and ordering soup (a la Seinfeld's Soup Nazi) in New York. Honestly, it's the connection I made, too, back when I ordered my first bagel. Unfortunately, though, "No bagel for you!" doesn't have quite the same ring to it that "No soup for you!" does. :)
And come, all of you. Eat bagels! It's always more fun to eat them in good company. :)
Part of this is an East Coast thing too. Down in SJ/Philly we have the Wawa. It's an institution. And if you're slow to order, or slow to grab your wallet and pay, you might be shot (or shot a nasty look). Rob is probably THE WORST at this, though he's getting better. Oh, and ordering gas (because Jersey girls don't pump gas). That's an art form too: "Debit, Regular, Fill it up please." Otherwise people are pretty friendly! hehehe
Emily took the words out of my mouth, not only I thought about the soup Nazi but the apartments on top of bagel boy look just like the ones on Seinfeld!! :D I can almost see Kramer hanging his head off the window there!
The first time I had a bagel was in CA. In Chile we eat something similar but we just call it bread! (We don't eat the kind of bread everyone eats here) :D
My tummy is rumbling!
These posts are great! I love bagels... hopefully we can visit you guys next year and see (and taste) for ourselves! I referred your blog to my mom, who loves NY!
Mmm. We had breakfast at one while we were out there. It was quite tasty, but I definitely took too long deciding what I wanted. Poor guy behind the counter was getting testy. But there wasn't anyone behind me. Doesn't that make it better?
Post a Comment