Sunday, September 28, 2008

sunday menu with a side of saturday night

On the menu today was Laurel's delicious honey lime enchiladas, with sides of green beans and secret-family-(stolen-from-the-Bisquick-box)-recipe corn bread. And because what's Sunday night without a tasty treat, we made some yummy caramel popcorn.

I'll have you know that I'm a quick one and as such have the ability to anticipate your desire to know how to replicate this menu in your own kitchens. So in that vein, here are the recipes:

Honey Lime Enchiladas

6 tbsp honey
5 tbsp lime juice (or the juice from 1 large lime)
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 lb chicken, cooked and shredded
8-10 flour tortillas
1 lb Monterrey jack cheese, shredded (I only used 8 oz)
16 oz green enchilada sauce
1 cup heavy cream
diced tomatoes and chopped green onions, if desired

Mix the first four ingredients and toss with shredded chicken. Let it marinate for at least 1/2 hour. Pour about 1/2 cup enchilada sauce on bottom of 9x13 baking dish. Fill flour tortillas with chicken, green onions, and shredded cheese, saving about 1 cup of cheese to sprinkle on top of the enchiladas. Mix the remaining enchilada sauce with the cream and leftover marinade. Pour sauce on top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese, remaining green onions, and tomatoes. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes until brown and crispy on top.



Corn Bread


Beat 2 eggs and add 1 cup milk.
Add 1/2 cup oil and mix.
Add 2 cups Bisquick,
2/3 cup sugar,
1/2 tsp baking soda,
5-6 tbsp cornmeal.

Mix well and pour in well-greased 9x9 pan. Bake at 400 for 30-35 minutes.



Caramel Popcorn

7-9 cups popped popcorn
3/4 cup brown sugar
6 tbsp butter
3 tbsp corn syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Mix sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt together and bring to a rolling boil for two minutes. Turn down the heat and simmer for 5-7 minutes. Add vanilla and pour over popcorn, stirring constantly. We liked ours chewy, but for crunchy caramel corn, bake on cookie sheet at 350 for 5-10 minutes.


Also,

Happy day! Tina Fey has reprised her role as Governor Sarah Palin for Saturday Night Live. This time it's a hilarious interview with Amy Poehler's Katie Couric. My favorite part? Definitely gotta be when Couric asks Palin her opinion of the bailout plan. Really, though, the entire skit is a riot. Do enjoy.


8 comments:

Kristie said...

It must have been an enchilada day yesterday...

Laurel said...

Did the enchiladas turn out okay? I finally finished mine on Saturday. They were SOOO good!

Emily said...

Oh man! Lindsay, did you watch any of the real interview? It's painful and so sad. Saturday Night didn't have to work hard to come up with material. They could have just showed clips from the real thing and ppl would have laughed heartily. Or cringed at the awkwardness and sadness of it all, like I did. Here's the link to the clip on her Russia question: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4478156n

Joyce said...

Thanks for the link to your recipes! It will really help me a lot. You are so quick and efficient. And I do want to try this recipe -- I love lime!

Kristi said...

Oh goodness, SNL's Palin clips are too much! Tina Fey for VP!

And those enchiladas sound fabulous. I'll have to try them.

Desmama said...

Great post. I'm going to try the recipes. I loved the SNL skit, and Emily is right--the original interview is painful. DesDad wondered if it's possible for one to retract their VP pick. "Probably not," I told him, "but they can sure regret it."

Sarah said...

Thanks for the enchilada recipe. I love enchiladas so we'll be trying these soon.

Krysta said...

that sounds fabulous! ill have to see if i can get my mom to make those for me!