Tuesday, September 02, 2008

me and george

Elisa at Diary of an Unlikely Housewife tagged me the other day to share six random things about myself. I don't normally like to participate in tags (so if you tag me, and I appear to ignore it, please know it's nothing personal), but I was able to tweak this one to include a few thoughts that have been on my mind recently. So here we go.


1. I ardently admire George Washington. I am eager to be introduced to him on the Other Side.

2. Last week I finished reading 1776, by David McCullough, which highlighted the first year of George Washington's career as general commander of the Continental Army. It was fantastic, and I think that it should be required reading for all Americans because not only did it portray the god-like character traits Washington's gone down in history as being known for having, but it demonstrated his human side...that side we all have that isn't perfect, that makes mistakes.

3. Like George Washington, and the rest of the Founding Fathers, I think politics can be interesting and enlightening. I believe that we should not turn a deaf ear to the political happenings occuring in this country, that it is our duty as citizens to pay attention.

4. I agree, however, with George in that party politics has the unfortunate habit of dividing a nation. In his Farewell Address of 1796 (which is another piece of literature I believe should be required reading for all Americans), he highlights his concerns about the dangers of party politics:

I have already intimated to you the danger of parties in the state, with particular reference to the founding of them on geographical discriminations. Let me now take a more comprehensive view, and warn you in the most solemn manner against the baneful effects of the spirit of party, generally.

This spirit, unfortunately, is inseparable from our nature, having its root in the strongest passions of the human mind. It exists under different shapes in all governments, more or less stifled, controlled, or repressed; but, in those of the popular form, it is seen in its greatest rankness, and is truly their worst enemy.

The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders and miseries, which result, gradually incline the minds of men to seek security and repose in the absolute power of an individual; and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction, more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of Public Liberty.

Without looking forward to an extremity of this kind, (which nevertheless ought not to be entirely out of sight,) the common and continual mischiefs of the spirit of party are sufficient to make it the interest and duty of a wise people to discourage and restrain it.

It serves always to distract the Public Councils, and enfeeble the Public Administration. It agitates the Community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms; kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection. It opens the door to foreign influence and corruption, which find a facilitated access to the government itself through the channels of party passions. Thus the policy and the will of one country are subjected to the policy and will of another.

There is an opinion, that parties in free countries are useful checks upon the administration of the Government, and serve to keep alive the spirit of Liberty. This within certain limits is probably true; and in Governments of a Monarchical cast, Patriotism may look with indulgence, if not with favor, upon the spirit of party. But in those of the popular character, in Governments purely elective, it is a spirit not to be encouraged. From their natural tendency, it is certain there will always be enough of that spirit for every salutary purpose. And, there being constant danger of excess, the effort ought to be, by force of public opinion, to mitigate and assuage it. A fire not to be quenched, it demands a uniform vigilance to prevent its bursting into a flame, lest, instead of warming, it should consume.

5. At the very least, I think we, as Washington's "fellow-citizens," should respect the political opinions of others. Our choice of party system, candidate, or legislation is just a choice. It is neither right or wrong, and we, in our impassioned political debates would be wise to remember this. We owe George, who did so much to help form this country, at least this much.

6. I am completely torn as to whether I should leave the comments open in this post. While on the one hand I'd be honored if people shared their thoughts, on the other I fear another heated debate where none was scheduled to occur. I think I will leave them enabled, but please, for all involved, be mindful of what you say and how you say it.

6 comments:

Sarah Kay said...

Oh, it takes strong stomach to weather controversial topics, doesn't it? I've felt that way sometimes, like oh geez, did I really want to post? I thought it was civil enough, I've seen (and even spurred) some much more heated comments. I thought it was good. And this is good commentary on the founding fathers and their motivations. Perfect. Keep it up.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Haha. I guess I don't feel uptight about conflicting opinions and points of view anymore, so I probably say more than I should. Sorry if I was one of the insensitive people in the last "controversial" political post.

Lindsay said...

Really, no need to apologize. I realize that the debate that followed my post was on the mild side when compared to the myriad of other political debates that occur on the internet. But I also wasn't expecting it, so I guess I wasn't prepared enough mentally to "stomach" it. I don't know. I really do, though, get irked with political bickering. We're all entitled to our own opinions and should respect that right in others instead of feeling it a duty to shoot them down. I also have strong opinions about the importance of employing tact when engaging in public debates and conversations. You guys were careful, though, which I appreciate.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I think my main complaint in political conversations is when it turns to "liberal idiots" or "religious self-righteous republicans" when people don't see eye to eye. I don't care if we disagree since people have different opinions, but when someone is belittled or put down because of their opinions or beliefs, that's when it goes too far imo.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I just read an interesting post about politics and party divisions. I think that it is a good thing in our country, except when it is taken to extremes (which, it most of the time is now). Interesting thoughts.

Oh, and I too loved the humanizing aspect of George Washington in that book! I think it is good to remember founding fathers were human as well. They even made mistakes!

goddessdivine said...

Glad someone else is dying to meet 'His Excellency' on the other side. I've seriously thought about it; he's in my top 3. He's one of my heroes.