Wednesday, September 03, 2008

letting go

Garrett is fourteen months old now, and I've decided that it's time to start weaning him off the bottle. My goal is to have him completely bottle-free by Christmas. To aid in the process, we purchased over the weekend some "big boy cups" to add to the beginning sippy cups he's been drinking water from since he was about seven months old. (Since first introducing him to the cup, we've been consistent at making sure that the only liquid offered to him in his bottle was formula/milk; water and juices were reserved for the cup.)

Two of the four cups we bought are regular sippy cups; the other two have straws. Because I prefer not to have milk splattered this way and that, I usually only serve milk in the regular sippies, saving the strawed cups for water. He knows, though, how to drink from both. But even so, this weaning process is proving to be a little more difficult than I was hoping it'd be.

First of all, in the last three or four months, Garrett has grown extremely attached to his bottles. When he picks up on the sounds of me preparing him a drink, he makes a mad dash for the kitchen. Where, during the first two-thirds of his life, he didn't seem to care one way or the other how he got his milk, he lately prefers that it comes from a familiar, comforting bottle.

Another challenge is the fact that Garrett is still a lazy eater. He has been from day one (which was a major reason why breastfeeding was unsuccessful). Though he is capable of doing it, he often refuses to hold his bottle or cup himself; but he adamantly (unless he's very, very thirsty) refuses to let us hold his new cups for him. Before I could express to my mom over the phone the other day my concerns of whether or not he's now getting enough milk, my mom commented that cup-drinking children often drink less than bottle-drinking children, which made me feel a little better, but I'd still like to know my son is drinking enough milk throughout the day.

Also, it doesn't help that Garrett often loses interest in cup drinking faster than bottle drinking, and demonstrates that loss by chucking his cup forcefully to the floor after only a few sips.

I'd love it if I could wean by the Cold Turkey method, but, given the circumstances, I'm not so sure that would work. So, taking these challenges into consideration, I think I've been able to come up with a bottle-weaning plan. As of a few days ago, Garrett gets a morning bottle and a bedtime bottle, but his milk during table meals and snacks is served in a cup. So far it seems to take him all three meals and the one or two snacks to drink about eight ounces of milk. Ideally, I'd like him to be drinking more during these sittings.

I'm hoping that my persistent offering of milk in a cup will help encourage Garrett to keep at it. Patience, too, is also something I know I'll need to have. Once I notice that he's taking to the cup better (i.e. not throwing it on the floor as quickly, and drinking more during meals and snacks), I will take away the morning bottle. After a little while longer, his bedtime bottle will be taken away as well.

I have no idea how long this will take, or whether my planned approach will work. If any of you have further suggestions for me, I'm all ears. Because I'd really like to only have to pack cups, and not bottles, too, for our Christmas trip to San Antonio.

10 comments:

Samantha said...

I just found your blog again! We got a new computer and I lost my bookmarks. So hi!

I don't know- I think all babies are so different. With Z, I basically did what you're doing- I mean I breastfed her until she was a year but at about 7 months she got bottles too, and was super attached. So I started the bottle at bedtime, every other time was a sippy cup. She got the hang of that and when she turned like 13 months I just threw away all the bottles and gave her only sippy cups and she didn't even notice, but it sounds like Garrett is way different from that. I think it will just happen, keep doing what you're doing I guess!

Kristie said...

I truely can't remember how my first five transitioned from bottle to cup. I just know that none of them are still on the bottle, so what ever happened worked:-) In other words, don't stress about it too much, time has away of helping transitions, and when they're 18 they will probably be OK wether it took 2 weeks or 2 years for it to happen!

Sarah said...

My kids were never good at drinking milk after the bottle...Tessa finally converted to drinking after we added chocolate :). Abel still won't drink...so, I have no advice b/c I'm still working on my own kids!

Krysta said...

Note to self: Start weaning process EARLY!! :)

AmyJane said...

My experience was a little different but for what it's worth... Patrick never really liked his bottles. He was a good nurser, until we had to quit (at 6 weeks) and then he took his bottles purely for sustenance. He loved solids and transitioned quickly. He was also on a sippy for water. One day when he was nine months old, I just decided to can the bottles and give him all his milk feedings in sippy's, and he never cared. I think it helped that he was so young. As I'm sure you know, they only get more and more set in their ways from a year on. Case in point--we still have to get rid of the binky. We're on the countdown for the binky fairy to come at the end of this month. Anyway, the one thing that was hard for me was to eventually give up monitoring constantly the amount of milk that he took in. When he was a baby we always made his formula in a container that held a day's worth and I kept right on filling that up with whole milk after his birthday and trying to convince him to take it all. However, when he was 15 months or so, he really just wasn't interested as much as he used to be. We were at my mom's house and I was trying to force/cajole him into drinking and my mom pointed out to me that as he was no longer a baby, he technically could have a healthy diet that was completely liquid milk free. Basically, she told me it was time to start watching food groups as a whole and pushing water for fluids. At this point (almost three) Patrick has about 8 ounces of chocolate milk in the morning and about 8 ounces of regular in the evening. Some days he doesn't want it at all and other days he asks for milk with his lunch as well. If he doesn't ask, we usually just serve him water with lunch and dinner.
Anyhow, good luck with the bottle weaning. I was sure glad I dodged that bullet, and there's a big part of me that has always wished I'd nixed the binkies back then too!

Claudia said...

Here is my experience. When Nicolas was 1 we went to Chile for 2 weeks so I decided to wait until we got back home to do the change!!

I don't remember the first time he had a big boy cup, I think during the day we just change into a cup and I guess he was fine with it b/c I don't remember. The hard one was the night time bottle, since he took that to fall asleep. I just did it cold turkey and he cried 45 minutes the first night and he cried 30 minutes the next and so on. And now he is happy to drink from his Diego cup every night before he goes to bed, he drink all his milk, we read a book and then is "Nighty night time".

On the other hand, what I have not mastered is the full night sleep, we are blessed when we get those 3 days in a row. Oh well, you can't have it all, right?

By the way, not sugar added nesquick is what we use for his whole milk now and he loves it.

Good luck and like someone else had already said, do not stress over it. Look, a year ago I was in the same situation and I've already forgot how we got to big boy cup during the day!

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

This is what my pediatrician said:
If they don't drink a lot of milk, let them have water and juice for liquid. They'll drink something if they're thirsty. Then, just make sure that you are giving them calcium in other ways--cheese, yogurt, broccoli. And don't stress. Babies need about two tablespoons of each food group a day, so do what you can, and they will be fine.
I also mixed peach baby food (I know, sounds gross, but it was the only kind she liked) in with her milk and she would drink more. i think she just wanted a little sweetness. I never thought about the chocolate milk. That's a good idea too.

Lindsay said...

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. You've eased some of my worries and gave me some good things to consider...which is exactly why I posted about this in the first place. Blogs are great like that, don't you think? :)

Jolynn said...

McKinley had to go cold turkey on nursing and the bottle. She wouldn't take the bottle until she realized that she couldn't get milk from me anymore and she wouldn't take a sippy cup with milk until she realized there was no bottle anymore. It didn't take her too long to realize. Everest just doesn't care how he gets milk as long as you give it to him. We just need to be brave and nix the pacifier. Good Luck!

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

My cousin's wife blogged about their success with getting their son to drink milk today on her blog. Here is the link, if it will work. http://jbjohnsen.blogspot.com