Yesterday was a nice day and Garrett and I were itching to leave the apartment. We were running low on fresh produce, so we decided (err...I decided) to make the hike over to 3 Guys.
Three Guys from Brooklyn is a large produce market on the northeast end of my neighborhood. It is always busy, but definitely worth the crowds because their fruits and vegetables, most of which are of remarkably good quality considering the state New York City produce is usually in, and which are piled up so high, they fill this stand to bursting, are cheap cheap cheap. Seriously. Here is my receipt from yesterday's trip:
- a head of romaine lettuce
- a large bunch of beautiful bananas
- 2 red onions
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 2 cantelopes
- 2 zucchinis
- 5 bartlett pears
- a bag of carrots
- 1 cucumber
- 10 gala apples
Before she moved away, a friend of mine did a little write-up about 3 Guys on her blog, and in it she gives a brief history of this marvelous establishment. She also mentions how it is not a good idea to plan your shopping trip on a Friday, as every Jew in Brooklyn is shopping for Shabbat. I could not agree with this advice more. For those of you in or familiar with grocery shopping in Utah, it is comparable to attempting a "quick trip" to Costco between the Saturday General Conference sessions, or to Macey's at 11:30 on a Saturday night. Three Guys is crowded enough as it is on an average weekday. It is no easy task to maneuver my stroller, with grocery basket attached to the handles, in and out of the stalls, meanwhile trying to keep Garrett from pulling an apple from the bottom of the pile or from swiping one of those delicious green grapes he's so fond of. I've learned, though, that to survive day-to-day living in Brooklyn -- including those trips to narrow-aisled and crowd-filled grocery stores -- one must act like a native, and though I'm more timid than most, I can still confidently shove my way in with the best of them.
The trek from my apartment over to 3 Guys is long (about 5 avenues and 17 blocks, which typically takes me about 45 minutes to walk), and I have to be really careful not to over-buy, seeing as how I'll have to lug my goods every step of the way back, but I'll tell you what: this place is incredibly worth it.
6 comments:
This makes me want to cry. Our produce here is not good right now. Our one lonely little farmer's market that's open on Saturdays is fairly pathetic and expensive. While I wouldn't want to lug my goods and a baby around, I would love to buy all that yummy stuff on the cheap!
That is great. I guess there are good things everywhere. Too bad you can't get everything in one place!
Yeah, I agree that the "everything-in-on-place" has its appeal when you're lugging groceries through the streets. Then again, Wal-mart just doesn't have the same charm as 3 Guys or places like it. In Pittsburgh we had the "strip" district. And despite its questionable name, it was fantastic for fresh produce, meats, fish and ethnic groceries.
What a steal! Orem just got a Farmer's Market and I'm so excited about the sales they currently have, but your receipt totally trumps mine!
What amazing prices! Here Gala apples are 1.59/lb on SALE! It is amazing if you can get any produce for less than a dollar a pound, even bananas. No wonder you can stay within your food budget!
Wow that is really cheap! I thought we were getting really good deals from Henry's, but that is way better than what we get.
Post a Comment