That's right, folks: We're getting paid to sit on our couch, put our feet up, and watch TV. Not very much, mind you. But still...it's the principle.
See, essentially for the next week we've been adopted into a loving statisitical research family. Until next Wednesday we are a Nielsen TV family.
About a month ago, we got a postcard in the mail from Nielsen Media Research basically informing us that they'd heard we were pretty cool people*, so could they monitor our TV viewing for a week? They told us they'd call a few days later to make sure it was okay. Well, to be quite honest, we were flattered, so we told them, "Sure! Why not?" And then they sent us $15 in cash and a TV viewing diary in which we are to record all of the lounging we do in front of the tube.
First, we had to spend the money. Well, technically, I suppose we didn't have to, but they sent us cash (who sends cash these days?) and we were hungry for something we didn't have to cook ourselves, so we went and got some dinner. Then we had to fill out the demographic information in the front of the diary. The questions were basically thus:
- How many working TV sets do you have in your home (1)
- Do you have cable? (no)
- Do you have satellite? (no)
- Do you have TiVo? (no)
- What the heck do you have, rabbit ears? (yes)
Then we had to list, to the best of our knowledge, the stations our TV received, what channels they were on, and where they were broadcast from. This is the pathetic list we gave them:
- FOX (channel 59, Indianapolis)
- CBS (channel 8, Indianapolis)
- NBC (channel 13, Indianapolis)
- WNDY (channel 23, Indianapolis)
- WIPB (aka: PBS) (channel 49, Muncie)
We actually also get about 4 Christian channels, but we don't usually pay attention to those, and they really don't good enough reception to count.
Yesterday was our first day of monitored (read: paid) TV viewing. This is what we watched: Malcolm in the Middle, Seinfeld, and The Office. (Thursday's our big TV watching day, plus we were lazy.) After Day 1 wrapped up, I realized that $15 might not be enough to get me to keep doing this. Keeping track of laziness is a lot of work! Oh well, though...I guess our efforts our good for the statistically-inclined public. And besides, we were hand-picked because Nielsen thinks we're pretty great people.**
*Or maybe we were just part of a random sampling...whatever.
**See above.
5 comments:
I'm not sure I'd want to document my TV watching either...mostly because I'm sure it would reflect that fact that I can't seem to tear myself away from morning talkshows (Regis and Kelly, etc)...it's pathetic! I justify my actions by cleaning the living room and kitchen while listening...and then I'm not "really" watching. :)
Nice! I'm finding that I watch a little more TV these days on account of the SAHM gig. We've been contemplating the rabbit ears since most the stuff we watch is on network TV anyway. We had to sign up for cable along with the internet for three months in order to avoid all the hookup fees. I hope it's not painful to go back afterwards.
So cool! I have always wanted to be a Nielsen TV family, just like how I always want to fill out the long U.S. Census form. I guess we're just not as cool as you guys yet. How funny that they paid you in cash.
EYofA - I know! Just like having to document everything you eat for health classes, documenting everything you watch on TV doesn't always reflect well. I'm with you, though...TV noise is nice sometimes in that it makes you feel less alone when you're at home by yourself ironing.
AmyJane - We got the "amplified" rabbit ears (you plug them into the wall and supposedly get more stations). They work pretty well.
Claire - Oooh, yes...that would be cool to go down in history as a Census statistic. Instead, though, I suppose we'll have to settle for being a statistic proving that The Office is a funny show.
Theory: All Nielsen TV families live in Indiana.
Did you hear how the Nielsen business was started? I heard that back in the days of only three channels the people at the waterworks in a large city could tell what shows were being watched by the change in the water pressure (toilets flushing) during offsetting commercial breaks. Even if it's not true, it's a great story!
Post a Comment