Yeah, so remember that whole National Novel Writing Month thing I signed up for? Yeah...so...I'm pretty sure I don't fully understand yet just what I've gotten myself into. I mean...what if I'm not ready for this type of commitment? Um...yikes, anyone?
Also, writing...it's great and all, and I love doing it, but I have this problem of coming up with ideas. It's sort of my own personal plague as a [wanna-be] writer: I love words, and I love forming sentences, and I find grammar ridiculously fascinating and all that jazz. I also find personal pleasure in building up my collection of Things That Would Be Great In A Story. But I have the most difficult time picking a place to start and a direction to go in. What to write about? And how to dive in? I have about a thousand little snippets of stories floating around in my head, but none of them by themselves really have the potential to turn into a whole novel. So I'm going to recruit your help, if you're willing.
Brainstorm, if you will, along with me. I'm looking for two things to help me get started:
1) A one-sentence description of a plot (I generally stick to a general literature genre, and I could do something young adult-ish. I don't, however, do well with fantasy, sci-fi, mystery or romance).
2) An opening sentence.
I'm pretty sure I can come up with the rest (for the most part anyway...I may come crawling back for more help at some point).
So....any ideas?
6 comments:
But please don't think I'm a total slacker. I'm brainstorming, too. :)
Yeah - this is tough. I have a brain block after about 650 words EVERY SINGLE TIME. I'm pretty sure I could never write anything longer than that.
But ideas...
Try to get into the life of some fanatic - like a china plate collector who's whole world revolves around the quest for a certain teacup. Or a food critic's adventures in a metroplex filled with MSGs, questionable meat and his/her newly developing phobia of silverware.
The opening sentence: He was pretty sure what he had just put in his mouth wasn't beef tenderloin.
Lindsay, I think you should know that after reading your kick-in-the-pants post, I was inspired and now I too have signed up to write a novel in November, so now I'll blame you if I go insane somewhere in the next six weeks. ;) I am also tearing my hair out (don't worry, it's just eyebrow hairs) trying to come up with a plot. For you, I think something historical fiction would be great. Since this is a brainstorm session, though, I will also need some more information from you before I can give you that sentence plot description and first line. What are your favorite periods in history? Since this will be a speedily written novel, which periods do you feel like you could write about without having to do too much research? Hmm, I'm thinking maybe something taking place in Utah in the 50s involving submarine races at Utah Lake. *wink, wink*
Sarah - Great idea! That is hilarious! It has now been thrown into the Consideration Pot. :)
Becca - Ha!ha! I'd forgotten about the submarine races! Oh, good times we had...good times! Also, yay for novel writing! It's nice to know I have someone I can whine with when I get frustrated in November. :)
Let's see, though...time periods in history. I'm a big fan of pretty much anything in US history from 1890 to 1960. Big fan. I don't know, though, that I can say I know a lot of factual information about that time, but I sure love reading books set then. Does that count? :)
Also, Becca, since brainstorming goes many ways, and since you have also signed up for a November Breakdown, let's rummage up some ideas for you. I'm thinking something involving a character who likes to don a fake New York/Jewish. Opening line: "I'll give you two topics for you to discuss: David Bowie and polyester. Discuss."
Thanks for the help, guys! I really, really appreciate it.
I've never been good at this game. I too enjoy writing, but telling a story is often lost on me. Coming up with beginnings is difficult.
You could always start in the middle of a story and then flash back and tell the story of what went on previously. My mind often gravitates to tragic scenes.
"The first thing she noticed was the dismal gray ash covering the now dead flowers she'd recieved the week before.
A week ago she'd been most concerned about getting to work late and leaving a sink full of dishes. Who knew that life was so fickle yeilding a power that could change your course in a matter of moments?"
Then you can flash back to her normal life and proceed to tell about that and how it got to the beginning sentence. A fire? A volcanic explosion? A terrorist attack?
Celia - Me too: I'm a writer, not so much a story teller. I mean, I can force myself to do it sometimes, but it doesn't come naturally.
Thanks for your ideas. They are most dramatic...very nice. :) It's true that starting in the middle is sometimes the best way to get yourself going.
Post a Comment