Thursday, October 05, 2006

To Cut a Cake

"Nay Way or Wiest Way?"

It is a simple question -- with weighty significance.

You see, in our family, there are two ways to cut a birthday cake: the Nay Way, introduced to us by my dad, and which allowed all birthday party-ers to get an equally large slice of cake; and the Wiest Way, brought to us by my mom, and which generously favored the Birthday Kid with the largest piece of cake (which also was the slice with the most frosting) while the rest of the group only got a sliver of a piece.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you which way the Birthday Kid always chose. Because the Birthday Kid always got to pick which way the cake was cut.

(So what if we were pretty greedy when it came to celebrating our birthdays? Don't tell me you didn't milk your special day for all it was worth!)

We celebrated a birthday last night at Activity Days. Shaylie turned 10 (the big 1-0! Two whole hands!!), so her mother brought in a cake (homemade and shaped and frosted like a basketball -- so cute!). Out of habit, I popped the question to Shaylie: "Nay Way or Wiest Way?"

"Huh?" she asked. So I explained. And afterwards she had a big grin on her face as she contemplated the overall effects of requesting it cut the Wiest Way, while the rest of the girls tensely waited with nervous longing in their eyes and whispers under their breath of "Nay Way...choose the Nay Way."

Ultimately, in a moment of total birthday girl power, Shaylie chose the Wiest Way. And even though the rest of the girls desperately wanted it cut the Nay Way, they knew deep down that if it had been their birthday cake, they would have done the same.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

This is hilarious! I've never heard of people cutting a cake the Wiest Way but will have to introduce the concept to my kids. It sounds like the reason it's the best is because you have to look forward to it all year after being stiffed by everyone else.

I'm a big fan of favorites.

Lindsay said...

As the Wiest side of my family claims, "East or west, Wiest is best." I guess birthday cakes are no exception. :)

And yeah, the concept of Nay Way and Wiest Way seems to be spreading. It initially started in our family with the traditions my dad (a Nay) contributed to the family plus the traditions my mom (formerly a Wiest) contributed to the family. But I've heard rumor that it's spread to my cousins family, too (who are only 1/2 Nay not 1/2 Wiest). Maybe now we can spread the tradition to folks we're not even related to! So here's to passing it on! :)