Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Recent Correspondence

Dear WTHR Weatherman,

So what you were trying to tell me last night on the news is that there’s snow in the forecast? SNOW?! And what’s this about freezing temperatures beginning tonight? I’m not ready for winter! For crying out loud, I was just getting used to the autumn! I really think you should reconsider your prediction. After all, there’s no need to rush into anything. Indiana winters are long and cold enough as it is.

Sincerely,
Lindsay

Dear Apple Cider,

At last! You are on sale! I have to say, dear Cider, that it’s been a long year waiting for you to be stocked in the grocery stores again. I’m so happy you’re back!

Cheers!
Lindsay

Dear Word of the Day Calendar,

I love you – you know I do. New words are treasures for my hungry brain. But I have to ask – who uses these words? At least, who uses them on a regular basis? Quay is common enough, I’ll admit, as is dolce, but uxorial? Ludic? Gnosis? Maybe if my nose was still buried in scholarly journals and half-ton textbooks as I hid myself in a university library, I’d see these words as more useful. As it is, though, I’m afraid they are now only bits of trivia. …Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, as they’ve often come in handy during evenings of Jeopardy! watching. Anyway, though, thanks, Calendar, for your daily entertainment and moments of intellectual stimulation.

Linguistically Yours,
Lindsay

Dear Pandora Internet Radio,

I just have to say: I am a Big Fan. I can’t tell you enough how nice it is to not have to listen to the same commercial every three songs…or any commercials, for that matter. You’re not like some internet radio stations I know of (ahem…Yahoo…ahem). I especially like how you are able to find more music that my tastes appreciate – though some of your recommendations surprise me (who knew I wouldn’t rush to fast forward through a Hillary Duff song?). Through you, I have been introduced to a much wider world of music, and now my long, quiet days at work are happily a little bit noisier. Anyway, thanks a million!

Your Friend,
Lindsay

Dear Blake,

I’m sure you thought me a bit stern this morning when I stated that you would have time to eat lunch with me. It was only because I knew that if I asked rather than stated, you would have let your stress speak for you, and we both know that hectic schedule or no, you have time for a 10 minute lunch with your wife. Anyway, thanks for the time, the pleasant conversation, and the brisk walk. All were very much needed on my end. Good luck on your test!

Love,
Lindsay

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Linguistically Yours,
I wonder if "Word of the Day Calendar" ever thought to start publishing "New Words in the Dictionary" that our culture has created. For example, there are many words in the tech world that have been abused into lingo. For that matter entertainment, if you want to call it that, like the Simpsons, have even been contributors to the Oxford. Who do we send these suggestions to?
[grin]