Monday, October 30, 2006

A Busy Weekend in Indiana

So, I had every intention to write about seven different times this weekend on at least fourteen different topics, but as it is, I was so busy with those twenty-eight different things that I didn't have time to sit down at the computer. See how this weekend's busy-ness grew exponentially? So now you just get a summarized recap.

Table-or-Treat
The Trunk-or-Treat went swimmingly. And please take that water allusion literally because we totally got rained out. So instead of holding it in the church parking lot, we had it in the cultural hall. They had set up tables around the gym in a circle, and the costumed kids just made the rounds, gathering more candy in seven minutes that I ever did in 2 hours of neighborhood trick-or-treating as a kid! Each time a kid came to our table with seemingly sugar-deprived eyes, we had a conversation that went something like this:

Kid: [reaches into our bowl for candy]
Me: [moving the bowl away to stop said candy thievery.] Hey, now, you wait just a cotton-pickin' minute there. Is there anything you need to tell me so I'll give you candy?
Kid: Thank you?
Me: Um, no, that's a start. You can say that after I give you candy. But what do you need to say before so I'll even want to give you candy?
Kid: Um...please?
Me: Good grief, kid! It's Halloween. What do you say to get candy at Halloween?!
Kid: [the light bulb suddenly turns on] Oh! TRICK-OR-TREAT!!
Me: Finally! Okay, here you go, you greedy little hooligans.

A few choice trick-or-treaters scowled at me when I made them say "trick-or-treat." I only gave those kids one piece of candy instead of my usually generous three. So there.

By the way, I posted a few pictures of the evening o' fun here.

Fall Cleaning
We walked into Saturday a disorganized mess, and we walked away from Saturday much more put together. We discovered the joys of Steralite containers and filing cabinets. And now pretty much everything has a nice, neat place to go in our apartment. (I know...it's about time, isn't it?) Everything, that is, except our dirty laundry. I'm not sure if any of you realize how difficult it is to find a clothes hamper in Muncie that's not made of ugly plastic and that has a lid. Honestly, we're not asking much, but apparently Muncie isn't willing to work with us. So now we're going to go to Indy to see what either Bed, Bath & Beyond or the TJ Maxx Home Store can do for us.

(Lest you think we've spent the last 14 months living in filth, let me tell you that everything - including the dirty laundry - did have a place to go. Only now they have better places, and our cramped apartment feels less cluttered.)

Stake Conference
I'm pretty sure that the Brethren in Salt Lake believe that the people in the Muncie, Indiana stake are real swell because there were not one, but TWO general authorities that came to our stake conference this weekend. And our stake presidency wasn't even reorganized, and we were not part of any multi-stake broadcast! Elder Charles Didier and Elder Bill Marriott came and, wow, they are great speakers! They also have great comb-overs, but I'm willing to let that slide. The overall theme of the conference, led by Elder Didier, was that of the need that we have as members of the church, knowing all that we know, to ACT on those things that we know. ACT on our faith. Turn our beliefs into behaviors. He is a wonderful speaker. They both are, actually, but Elder Didier has this amazing ability to tie everything in, to help us see the bigger picture while also simplifying things. He's very personable and very enjoyable to listen to.

Opossum in the Yard
After the Adult Session of conference, we came home to find our headlights spotlighting a fat, ugly 'possum waddling through our yard. Ew gross! But fascinatingly so, I must admit. I knew they existed in our neighborhood because I've seen who-knows-how-many dead ones on the side of the road, but this was the first live one. It, and it's long bacteria-ridden rat-tail, were a little too close to our front door for my tastes, though.

Daylight Savings

Like all of you, we enjoyed an extra hour of sleep this weekend. But unlike most of you, we were surrounded by people who freaked out about it. You see, this was only the second time that the good people of Indiana had to adjust their clocks by an hour (the first being last April...you should have seen the frenzy then! Whoa Nelly, I tell you! To hear them fret about it, you'd think the world was going to explode or something). They handled things a little more calmly this time around. But that didn't stop newscasters from making Daylight Savings their top story 3 days in a row. It also didn't stop the natives here from whining about having to move their clocks back an hour.

Things to do with Mushy Apples
I'm sad to see apple season slowly ending. It really is no fun to pull out the apple you packed for lunch only to find that it's totally lost its crispness. I know I've talked before about how old apples make great applesauce and apple crisp. But I was eager to try something else this time. So I tracked down a recipe for apple bread. It was delicious. And for those of you who so lovingly read all the way to the bottom of this admittedly long post, I will reward you with the recipe. Enjoy!

No comments: