Wednesday, October 18, 2006

And Now For That Good, Hard Kick in the Pants

Which of the following correctly completes the sentence below?

Today I...

a) kicked myself if in the pants, in light of yesterday's post.

b) decided to act on the whispers and rumors I'd heard that November is National Novel Writing Month.

c) went to the National Novel Writing Month website to sign up to participate.

d) discovered that being a participant means that I have from November 1st to November 30th to write a 50,000 word novel.

e) signed up anyway.

f) realized that I've thrown myself into a giant heap of literary abandon because I'm pretty much reckless like that.

g) all of the above.


For those of you smart folks who still need validation, the answer is G. And look! I even got a little participant icon to prove it:


Only the thing is, I'm generally not reckless like this (even though it's fun to say that I am). It sounds like fun, and it's free. And they've promised me that it's all about quantity and not quality (because sometimes you just need to see what it feels like to be that sort of dedicated). So I ultimately said, "Why not?" And now I'm attempting to write a 50,000 word novel during the month of November. Wish me luck because, boy howdy, am I ever gonna need it. We'll see how this goes.

4 comments:

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

nice new color.

Sara said...

Wow. I'm impressed. Good luck with the novel! And be sure to let us all know when you've finished. I'd love to take a chance and write a novel...maybe next November...something tells me it would be an impossible project this year. :)

Sarah said...

WHAT!! You are crazy. Why don't you give yourself another good hard kick in the pants and try to write 100,000 word novel instead. It's amazing what a little butt-whooping can inspire!

Crazy or not, good luck! I take it the blog will be sparse during November but we're rooting for you :)

Lindsay said...

Yeah, so I think I pretty much am crazy. It sounds fun (so maybe I have a twisted sense of fun...), but I honestly don't know how seriously I'll be able to take it this year. Leisure time is not something I have an abudance of. We'll give it a go, anyway, and see what happens. :) (So, don't get too prematurely impressed...hehehe.)

I don't think, though, that I could give up my blogging. I'm too addicted.