Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Visit [Us in] Indiana

My latest project at work has been to make the annual update to our Resource Guide. This means that I have to go through the entire guide, making any necessary updates to the contact information provided in it. The easiest place to find current information is, of course, the internet. So I've basically been spending my days here at work surfing the web. Which would be cool, except for the fact that these websites generally only appeal to a very limited audience. I mean, how much fun can a person possibly have at the site for the National Association of State Development Agencies? Yeah...not too much.

Only today I came across the website for the Indiana Department of Tourism, and it pretty much made me want to go on vacation. Right now. Because, you know, it's fall here in Indiana, and it's all gorgeous and colorful, and the harvest is coming in, and the corn mazes are opening up, and the whole state has become a wealth of festivals worth attending.

The site also boasts some interesting state facts -- and more than just your usual state bird (cardinal), state flower (peony), and state tree (tulip tree). Because, after all, this site's meant to make you want to visit Indiana. I think I'm going to briefly borrow their list to see if I can make you want to visit us in Indiana. So let's see...what sorts of fascinating information can I tell you about this great state?
  • Every year, Indiana produces more than 254,000,000 pounds of popcorn and America's favorite popcorn maker, Orville Redenbacher, was born in Brazil, Indiana.
  • The Children's Museum of Indianapolis is the world's largest children's museum featuring interactive galleries, special exhibits, a planetarium, and Dinosphere.
  • John Chapman, aka Johnny Appleseed, is buried in Fort Wayne, Indiana. They hold a festival every year in September in his honor.
  • Parke County's 30 Covered Bridges is the most populated area in the State, maybe even in the nation.
  • In the early 1900s, legendary artist T.C. Steele and other award-winning impressionist artists were among the first to discover this artists' haven. Visit his home studio tucked away amidst the picturesque rolling hills of Brown County.
  • Northern Indiana is home to the 2nd largest population of Amish in the Nation.
  • Indiana borders Lake Michigan. That's right - We have 24 miles of beaches.
  • The Indianapolis Motor Speedway® is home to three of the "Greatest Spectacles" in racing the Indianapolis 500® (held annual in May), U.S. Grand Prix™ (held annual in June), and Allstate's® Brickyard 400® (held annual in August).
And here are a few "notable Hoosiers" (and where in the state they lived):
  • Abraham Lincoln - US president (Spencer County)
  • Benjamin Harrison - US general, US senator, US president (Indianapolis)
  • Dan Quale - US vice president (Huntington)
  • David Letterman - comedian (Indianapolis)
  • Ernie Pyle - WWII news correspondent (Dana)
  • Eugene V. Debs - Socialist leader (Terre Haute)
  • Gene Stratton-Porter - author, naturalist, photographer (Geneva (aka "Limberlost")/Rome City)
  • James Dean - actor (Marion)
  • James Whitcomb Riley - poet (Greenfield/Indianapolis)
  • Jim Davis - Garfield cartoonist (Muncie)
  • John Mellencamp - musician (Seymour)
  • Larry Bird - basketball player (West Baden Springs)
  • Wilber Wright - inventor (Millville)
  • William Henry Harrison - US president, congressman, senator, and 1st Indiana territorial governor (Vincennes)
So? Are you convinced? Are you going to come visit us (and Indiana, of course)? We have an air mattress now (as opposed to just the floor) if that helps. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds nice, real nice, but I'll be stickin' to Jersey this fall for budgetary reasons. Take pictures! Lots of pictures!

_sarah

Anonymous said...

Sniff...sniff...all right, Sarah. I suppose money is a good reason to stick close to home. Just know, though, that we -- and Indiana -- will miss you terribly. :)

Anonymous said...

I want to come! I'm trying to work in a business trip to get me out there!
- Dad