Thursday, March 20, 2008

they say you can learn a lot about a girl by looking at the contents of her purse

Or in my case, diaper bag.

Jessica tagged me to share with you the contents of my purse. However, since both Garrett and Brooklyn entered my life, I've sort of stopped carrying one. My vitals (as in wallet, phone, and keys) get stowed away in the pocket of the baby carrier when I'm toting Garrett around in that, and when he's in the stroller, I stash them in the diaper bag. Really, the diaper bag has become my purse and so, in the spirit of New York governors, I will now divulge to you the contents of mine.

Here is my diaper bag:


And here is what's in it:


  • a cloth diaper/burp cloth;
  • a pair of knit gloves for me,
  • and a pair of knit sock mittens for Garrett;
  • an empty plastic grocery sack (in there for the discarding of stinky diapers but you never know when an empty bag will come in handy)
  • two sanitary napkins;
  • a board book copy of The Tale of Peter Rabbit, which, you'll remember, Garrett likes to eat...err, read;
  • the dinosaur blanket;
  • two extra binkies;
  • a bottle filled with 6 ounces of water;
  • a container with enough powdered formula to make two 6 oz bottles;
  • baggies of rice cereal for thickening the bottles;
  • toy keys;
  • a rattle;
  • a coupon for a free tube of A&D diaper rash ointment;
  • four AA batteries (for when the camera dies);
  • diaper rash ointment;
  • a notebook and pen;
  • a packet of tissues;
  • a moist towelette;
  • chapstick;
  • trial size of Aveeno lotion;
  • tropical passionfruit scented hand sanitizer;
  • a dime;
  • a Cold-eeze lozenge;
  • two subway maps, a Manhattan bus map, and a Brooklyn bus map;
  • baby wipes;
  • three diapers;
  • a bib;
  • a spoon;
  • some squash.

And now I'm pretty sure this was the most exciting thing you've read all day.

So what do the contents of my bag say about me? That I like to collect maps of New York City public transportation? That I don't like to be caught unprepared? Or just that I have a baby perhaps? You decide.

15 comments:

Lyndsie Miles said...

Very prepared! That's the best!

Carrie said...

Wow...I have been totally confused as to what to put in my diaper bag. Thanks for enlightening me on what is in yours. So, for when they are little how many onesies did you have on hand in case of blow-outs?

Lindsay said...

When Garrett was tiny, I got in the habit of keeping one extra onesie in the diaper bag. But I stopped having one on hand when I realized that I never, ever used it. We were always close enough to home that we'd just head there if some disaster occurred. Of course, when we head out on longer outings and I have reason to think I might need one, I'll tuck an extra outfit in there. I imagine that once we reach the potty training stage, I'll be better about keeping extra changes of clothes on hand.

Have fun packing your diaper bag! How much longer is it now till you'll need one?

Jessica said...

I'm so glad you did this. You really can learn a lot about a girl from the contents of her bag.

Wendy said...

After I stopped needing a diaper bag, I started carrying a pretty big purse. I like the options of having those just in case items you listed. I think it just comes with the "Mom" territory

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I always have an extra outfit on hand (mine's only 5 mo.). When he was really little I carried 2 outfits when we went to church or on long trips (airport). Mine was a pooper! One day at church I went through both of my back up outfits! And when we traveled to CA, both coming and going he had blow outs. So, it kinda just depends on how frequently and how explosively your little one poops.

The things moms talk about...

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Love that you have squash! I am also feeling really glad that I can still carry around a wallet - no purse, no diaper bag. So much easier for me.

For Easter ideas, I wish I had good ones. I am sure you have the Primary 1 book for ideas (and if you don't, look on lds.org). It has cute ideas for the Easter lesson. I still love the story of the empty Easter egg. I recommended a little board book to Lori on her blog about Easter books, but since it is from Deseret Book, I don't think you will find it in the NYPL. I would suggest (and mind you, I am so flattered you asked, since I really have no Nursury experience) that as many pictures as you can get would be helpful - pictures of the resurrected Lord (and it would probably help them if you had one of the crucifixion - just so they can understand He died first.)

I am positive you will do something fantastic! Best of luck! I suppose I got it easy with the 11-12-yr-olds :)

goddessdivine said...

So, that squash is for you, isn't it?

Lindsay said...

Melissa - thanks for your ideas. I wasn't sure if you had nursery experience or not, but I did know you had niece/nephew experience AND librarian experience. For some reason, those two reasons made me think to ask you. I agree, though: lots of pictures are never a bad idea (especially if you let the kids hold them or DO something with them...they love that).

Also, to get back to the diaper bag topic at hand, I have to agree with Silly Marie...you fill your diaper bag with the things that your baby needs. Where her baby had blowout problems (sorry, Silly Marie! That stinks...quite literally), mine had constipation problems. So I packed our diaper bag accordingly. And yes...the things moms talk about...we're a funny bunch, aren't we. :)

And Kristen, how did you know I loved to snack on strained squash? ;)

Mallory said...

You just described the contents of my diaper bag...minus the maps of New York (I wish I needed those).

Sara said...

I think it says you're adventurous and prepared. For anything! Maybe you're the mommy version of a Boy Scout? (I hope I am!)Our diaper bag says we're afraid of letting Christopher get too bored...or loud. :)

Krysta said...

I purposely pick tiny purses so that I can only fit so much inside of them. However, who knows what I will be carrying around if I ever have to haul around a diaper bag! Looks like youve got it down to the essentials :)

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

ps i have the same diaper bag.

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

I an glad that I am out of the stage of carrying all that stuff around! I still, however, have baby wipes in the car--they come in handy for everything!
When we sold our van a few weeks ago, I pulled out of the glove box 3 baggies with clean little girl unders that I had been in the habit of keeping handy for a few years. Now, our thing to carry around is books for each of the girls. That's what we all grab when we leave the house. (Only they read them as opposed to eat them.) ;)

lori said...

classic! What a perfect picture of a NY mother! To me this bag says: "adventurous, but prepared!"