We sang Popcorn Popping:
I looked out the window and what did I see?
Popcorn popping on the apricot tree!
Spring has brought me such a nice surprise,
Blossoms popping right before my eyes.
I could take an armful and make a treat,
A popcorn ball that would smell so sweet.
It wasn't really so, but it seemed to be
Popcorn popping on the apricot tree.
We imagined that we were trees. First we curled up into tiny seeds. Then we felt the rain fall down on us. And when we started to grow, we reached up to the sky as high as we could. Soon apples bloomed on our branches and we picked them and took a big bite. They were delicious.
We read The Carrot Seed and learned that we can get food from small plants as well as tall trees. We also learned that we can grow plants to eat in gardens. Taking care of a garden is hard work. You have to do a lot of weeding, a lot of watering, and a lot of waiting before you see plants come up. But they do come up!

We learned that Heavenly Father and Jesus gave us beautiful flowers, shady trees, and edible plants because They love us. We learned that we should thank Them for their generosity. And so before snack time, we blessed our food and thanked Heavenly Father for the tangy apple slices, juicy oranges, and chewy raisins that we got to eat.
Afterward we made a glue-and-construction-paper tree:
I know I'm thankful for trees, plants and flowers. I know my nursery children are thankful for trees, plants and flowers. Are you thankful for trees, plants and flowers?
(And now if March would just stop teasing us with warm-one-day, bitter-the-next sorts of weather, I'll get to SEE the blossoming trees, plants and flowers I've been missing so this winter.)
14 comments:
Thank you for the wonderful thought! You also gave me a wonderful idea to scan into the computer all those cute pieces of artwork Josh does for me all the time. That way, when the fridge is covered, I can still keep them!
Awesome idea!
I want to come to your nursery class! Your ward is lucky to have you teaching--great lesson. There are so many simple things we sometimes take for granted. Nursery can make you "stop and smell the flowers" a bit more. (If, as you say, they'd finally get here!)
Before I got called to Primary I mostly just looked at nursery as "babysitting". But the lessons are really neat and I love the way they help kids learn about creation and about the world around them. When S-Boogie was littler and didn't really remember what she'd learned at church I used to use the nursery lesson for our Family Home Evening. Especially if she had missed Primary that day. I love the fact that the Church has all the lessons and all the copies of The Friend online--it makes teaching your kids so much easier!
I love the popcorn popping song.
Sounds like a fun lesson.
That was such a cute way to teach the lesson. You have always been so good with kids. I wonder if that has to do with you being the oldest.
Little Sal just started nursery and I am grateful for good nursery leaders, like you, who put time into making a real lesson for him and can adapt it to his understanding. He loves nursery so far and I'm hoping he'll keep learning. He also loves the Popcorn Popping song. It's a favorite.
What an awesome lesson....and awesome nursery leader you are. The kids in your class are so lucky!
Well yea, I would be more thankful for trees and flowers if they were here already :)
How fun! We're the nursery leaders in our ward too. We're a week behind you though, we learned about water this week. I love nursery! It is my favorite calling out of all the callings I've ever had. It is so fun to be part of these little ones first experience in primary! (I also loved the bookshelf post...I may be stealing your idea :)
i cannot believe i didn't think of this earlier!! my aunt and uncle are serving a mission and i think you might run into them....
http://depaulamission.blogspot.com/
love your newest updates!
I want you to be our nursery leaders! What a fun lesson.
I love the simplicity of Primary teaching, especially in the younger classes. I think we all need a healthy dose of extreme gospel essentials from time to time. It helps us keep things in perspective and realize just how much we have to be grateful for.
Do you cut out all the little pieces for your crafts so its easier for kids to glue together? Frank has been getting some practice with that... as I bring home those often for my preschool storytime kids!
Kristeee - I wholeheartedly agree.
Laura - Yeah, I cut them all out. It's actually not as painstaking as it appears to be, thanks to the science of folding before cutting. I'm glad Frank helps you out! Definitely makes for a hearty finger workout. :)
Post a Comment