Thursday, March 06, 2008

this is where the books live

The other day a friend of mine posted pictures of five things in her home and wrote a little bit about each one. The idea to do this tickled me enough to come up with my own variation. And so today I will tell you about our five bookshelves.


This folding bookshelf is in my living room. It's home to some fabulous reads including the Nicholas series, Where the Wild Things Are, my collection of New York books, and my Robert Sabuda pop-up. The paper flowers on top of the Harry Potter books, along with the vase they're in, were a find in San Antonio's Mexican Market. The pretty blue and white vase with the totally fake daisies came from Portland, Oregon's Saturday Market.


This is our really, really, super tall IKEA bookshelf. After moving from our apartment in Indiana, which had some pretty marvelous built-in bookshelves, we needed something of our own to house all those books here in New York. Some of my favorites on this shelf include my collection of books by Indiana authors, books by and about the Bronte sisters, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, To Kill a Mockingbird, our poetry collection, works by J.D. Salinger, and a history of the 20th century told entirely in letters. Blake's philosophy books also live here. The bottom left corner is home to our eyesore of an enormous dictionary. It used to belong to BYU's philosophy department and was given to us as a wedding present by the philosophy professor Blake TA'd for. As for a few of the knick-knacks: the wooden car and the elephant came from Blake's mission in Uruguay, the nesting doll is from Russia (via my mother and her killer eBay skills), the Willow Tree statue came from my good friend, Nancy, in Muncie after Garrett was born, and the painting is one we got cheap on the sidewalk in front of the Met. It depicts the Flatiron Building, which Blake sees everyday when he gets off the subway in Manhattan.


If I had to pick a favorite bookshelf, this one would probably be it. It was handmade by some friends in our BYU singles ward and given to us as a wedding gift. It lives in our hallway and houses my collection of children's novels as well as the handmade books I crafted in the bookbinding class I took at BYU. The framed drawing on the top is a glass etching Blake did of an illustration from Betsy-Tacy (which are living on the bottom shelf). The cross-stitch piece was passed onto me by my mom. It was given to her at her bridal shower, which I was shocked to learn because the little family it depicts could very well have been the beginnings of our family: the oldest child is a blond-haired girl (me), and the next two are boys (my brothers, Tyler and Riley). The marbles and the jar they're living in came from Muncie's Jar Museum, and the metal register bank belonged to Blake's dad.


This shelf is in Garrett's room and it's home to the picture books, the board books (which are in the red bin), and Garrett's toys (which are in the other bins). The majority of the picture books were passed onto me when I got married and moved away. They were the stories I grew up loving as a child. I'm a huge fan of the Wallace and Gromit poster sitting on the top, as well as the Slinky Dog, which I received one Christmas shortly after Toy Story was released. Also, the adorable little school chair beside the shelf was sitting next to our apartment complex dumpster shortly after we moved to Indiana. There were no children in our family at the time we rescued it, but I sure can't wait 'til Garrett's old enough to sit in it.


This last bookshelf is also in Garrett's room. It houses the rest of our literary collection. Highlights include my cookbooks, my baby and pregnancy books, the Christmas books, as well as Blake's collection of psychology books that were deemed "not pretty enough" to live in the living room. You can't really see it, but my collection of Classic Winnie-the-Pooh figurines lives on the top, as well as the Winnie-the-Pooh books and Garrett's baby book.

I probably could have also taken a picture of Blake's nightstand, as quite a few of our books are temporarily living there. I think we're going to allocate some of our tax return money to get another bookshelf from IKEA. Our book habit appears to be serious, and pretty soon we'll need more shelf space.

17 comments:

AmyJane said...

Hey, we're going to IKEA to buy yet another super tall bookcase this weekend too! And with tax return money! How funny is that.

I feel to warn you that the bottom shelves of all of your beautiful cases are...not going to be so beautiful soon. It's a hard line debate as to whether you should just move the books and make all bottom shelves baby friendly (i.e. toys and board books) or just start spending the million hours of gentle discipline necessry to "teach" the baby that those are off limits. We ended up doing a combination of the two. Baby mobility is such a catch 22. Good luck!

Lindsay said...

Once Garrett is mobile, I'm sure we'll be doing some shifting around (that's one reason we'd like another bookshelf...more shifting around space!). But at the same time I can't totally reconstruct my life and livingspace just because I have an on-the-go child. It's just not practical (at least not for me). Besides, I'd like to be able to teach Garrett that books should be treated with a certain degree of care.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I really need to get another book case, I have double rows on them and stacked books on top. How embarrasing to admit that and be a librarian!

Jenny P. said...

My husband served his mission Paraguay.

I love your books. I have books coming out the wazoo too. One in the living room, one in the office, one in the playroom, one in the kid's bedroom, and two nightstands and a blanket chest in my room that are covered... my shelves aren't near as organized or practical as yours are though!!

I'm glad you did this. It was fun!

KaLee said...

And know you make me want to organize my books. Since organization is one of my favorite past-times (ok, really just the feeling afterward). :)

Emily said...

Good luck when Garrett starts crawling! It was a bit of an adjustment for us who also have tons of bookcases. Eventually, they get used to the fact that it's just not something they're supposed to play with. Until then, we cram the books they can reach in tight so they can't pull them off. Good luck!

Lyndsie Miles said...

I love book shelves! They are the home to a wealth of knowledge and fun in imaginative worlds! I have two bookshelves I’ve been trying to paint black and move them into our family room so I can house more books that are shoved in every nock or hole in our house. That and to house toys and children’s books on the bottom shelves. Josh was easy to teach to leave things alone and respect them if he was going to look at them. McKenna, not so easy to teach… I think she enjoys the looks of things how she likes them...EVERYWHERE! I hope Andrew will be like Josh… we’ll find out soon enough! He’s army crawling like a pro this week… next week, who knows! Agh!

goddessdivine said...

Books are so addicting, aren't they. I'm impressed with the wealth of knowledge you have in your house. I actually need to buy more bookshelves myself, as I as running out of room; but I'm not near the number in your collection.

Anonymous said...

I love the decorative box in the top corner of Garrett's bookcase. It's great when storage can also be pretty!

Erin said...

I can totally relate! We have massive amounts of books and need a new bookcase too. The worst thing is that the shelves to "my" bookshelf were somehow lost in our move.

Even though I tried really hard to artfully organize them, yours are much prettier than mine!

Melissa said...

Wow...do you guys read much!? :) and super jealouse with the IKEA! I use to live near one....not so much now :( I do miss it!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

I really, really love the multi-directional way you've got the books. It's so decorative! And yet functional, too.

Also, I need to get more bookcases myself. I'm starting to double up the books two-deep.

Also, I know you do this a lot, but we all love to learn about you, so... I kind of tagged you. (In fact, there's no 'kind of' about it. I just straight up did it.)

Jessica said...

I am so impressed with how many books you have. You have really inspired me to buy more books for my kids. Where am I going to start? Your list a couple of posts back!

FoxyJ said...

Also, when you have a baby that is crawling/pulling up on things, you really should make sure the bookshelves are attached to the walls. Especially the taller ones. My brother-in-law didn't want the holes in the walls, but he relented after my nephew pulled a dresser over on himself (he wasn't hurt, but it was scary). Just a little safety tip :)

Lindsay said...

FoxyJ - Oh, of course. We've already secured all the bookshelves that readily can be to the walls (which, I guess, is only the really tall one. But the other one we're planning to get will also be bolted to the wall). The last thing we want is for a 7 foot, fully-filled bookshelf to be falling on anyone -- whether it's a baby or an adult!

N.F. said...

I love looking at your bookshelves. Gives me the urge to buy a book or two! Or, at least organize all the books I have currently.

Maybe I could do a post like this...

Lance and Kristi said...

Lindsay - Where did you get Garret's bookshelf? I love it and want one just like it for our baby's room....I thought maybe IKEA but I couldn't find it on their website.

Good post...