Thursday, February 07, 2008

a boy after our own hearts

Garrett is his mother's son because he is apparently freaked out by unusual things: vacuums, blenders, and, judging by the fearful shrieks and tears produced by the sight and sound of it, he is also is mortally afraid of styrofoam.

He is his father's son because his hand automatically reaches up to his head to twirl his hair around his fingers, only instead of grabbing locks on the top, he prefers the straggly bit above his right ear.

And Garrett most assuredly belongs to both of us because even at this tender age, he is becoming a voracious reader -- literally.


At least he has good tastes.

17 comments:

Jenny said...

He is so cute! When I first got board books I wrongingly assumed they were sturdier than the normal books and would last longer. Such is not the case. For some reason all children feel the need to eat board books.

We just got this new book from the library and I think you'll like it. It's called the incredible book eating boy.

Anonymous said...

Most of our books are gnawed on now, too. Our kids must have similar taste :)

Heather said...

Glad to see you're training him young! Also, I find it rather funny that I have the exact same couch as you :)

Jenny said...

Lindsay, this comment is like two or three posts too late, but here are the books my son and the other little boys we know like

How I became a pirate
Tails
how do dinosaurs.... By Jane Yolen
Dinosaur Roar by Paul strickland (I think)

go dog go
mike mulligan
chuck murphy board books (these are really neat)

Mallory said...

The pages stick together and the corners are gnawed off every one of our board books thanks to Carson's magnetic mouth. I figure any kind early exposure to literature is good, including exposure to the inside of my child's mouth right?

Carson is also considered a giant baby in our ward. Several baby girls were born earlier in the year and he outweighs everyone one of them by at least a couple pounds. I happen to adore his solid frame and will be sad to see him lean and lengthened as he becomes more mobile.

Katie said...

Funny how they inherit some of the oddest traits. Hmmmm .... too cute!

heath said...

Oh, Peter Rabbit; he does have good taste! And that's funny about the styrofoam--Royce hates it. He won't touch it if he doesn't have to. We won a George Foreman grill at the bridal fair, and he started to open the box and then stopped suddenly when he saw the styrofoam staring him down. I finished opening it.

goddessdivine said...

Are you afraid of styrofoam?

Cute pic.

Lindsay said...

No, I'm not afraid of styrofoam (whew!), but when I was younger I did have irrational fears of things like fire drills (more so than actual fires, I'm afraid), reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, and Santa Claus.

JoEllen said...

Little Sal also hates anything that makes loud noises, like vacuums, blenders, popcorn poppers and sometimes even the blow dryer. The other day the vacuum was just sitting out (I wasn't even using it) and he just started screaming. I used to put him up in his highchair while I vacuumed thinking that would help...it didn't! He still hates it. Why were you scared to say the Pledge of Allegiance?

Sarah Kay said...

Fire drills more than fires? That's wiggity wacked!
jk. I just want to pinch that boy's cheeks. He's too cute.

Lindsay said...

JoEllen - why was I scared to say the Pledge? Pretty much because I was afraid of everything. :)

Melissa said...

Oh that is just cute! It is crazy to see what your kids will get from you. Like I play with my ear all the time, and my little girl who is aonly 4 months completly plays with her ears!

lori said...

this is DARLING.

Lippy said...

So funny about the styrofoam...my middle guy was afraid of bubble wrap!
He's growing so fast - sitting up, eating books :)

Claire said...

Don't worry, I used to be afraid of Santa, too. That picture with the book is too cute. Your baby is adorable (not just saying that out of obligation, he really is one of the best-looking babies I have seen in a loooooong time---now my children will probably be cursed, but it's true!).

Erin Bigler said...

Hey Lindsay I'm so glad you "bumped into me" on the world-wide web. Of course I remember you--Cooper's Biology class was fantastic (although I would NOT have admitted it at the time.) Garrett is darling, I love your blog, and pretty much want your life. Just kidding. New York does sound more appealing than Columbus, Georgia (which is where we ended up "for the job") but only just a little. Keep in touch. I LOVE books, and as the daughter of a Children's Librarian, find I am completely addicted to teeny-tiny stories. We should swap book lists sometime. Ciao!