Sometimes it feels like I have the entire collection of the Brooklyn Public Library checked out and sitting in stacks in my living room. Anyway, for the last, oh, really long time, I've been plowing through them, as evidenced by "recent reads" list on my sidebar. As a book-loving blogger, I sorta feel like it's my duty to tell you about them. So here is a long overdue book report. I'm going to let amazon.com tell you what the books are about (just click on the linked titles) and, because I'm pretty sure my apartment was blown away last night all the way to the frigid South Pole by the bitter winds whipping off the bay, which left my fingers in a frozen state, I'm going take it easy and just share my thoughts concerning them.
Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader by Anne Fadiman
Pretty much the most fabulous book about reading EVER. Seriously, if you are as devoted to books and the reading of them as I am, you need to check this book out. If you want to know more about what I thought, see the post I wrote about it here.
Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Krouse Rosenthal
Also fantastic. It's a memoir written in encyclopedia format, which - hello?! is totally and utterly creatively awesome. Added bonus? It's hilarious. Because I want to be in the same Cool Club as Rosenthal, after I read it, I wrote a post mimicking her style (which was as fun to write as it was to read her book...seriously, I think she's onto something with the encyclopedia format).
The Epic of New York City by Edward Robb Ellis
Even though it took me, like, three months to read, I give it two thumbs way up. Heck, if I had a green thumb, I'd throw that one up high as well. Maybe I'm just biased because I call this place home now, but seriously, it's a great narrative history of the city covering from its discovery by Verrazano in 1524 up until its publication, roughly in the middle of the 20th century Civil Rights movements. It's not boring to read (which, again, as a history major, I might be biased here) because it's told in story format and looks at glimpses of the lives of actual citizens to tell the larger story. And where else would you get to pick up fascinating tidbits such as the fact that Broadway was built over an old Indian warpath and that the extravagant Waldorf-Astoria hotel was built because of an Astor family feud?
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
If you're into memoirs about squalid childhoods, you'll probably like this one. It's a page turner that leaves you wondering what possessed this girl's parents to think like they did. It will also make you want to kick her parents in effigy because, seriously -- if your kids, who are starving to the point that they'll dig for food out of the bathroom garbage cans at school, find a two carat diamond ring amidst the trash on the family property, you DON'T chose to wear the ring because you feel you've been denied pretty things instead of cashing it in to feed your children. Come on.
I Feel Bad About My Neck by Nora Ephron
I liked this one, even though I'm not in the age group targeted to enjoy it (it's a collection of essays about aging). But Ephron is funny and she writes about New York City, which, yeah, appeals to me. There's also an excellent essay in here about reading, which ranks up there with Ex Libris.
Big Fish by Daniel Wallace
For those whom this might be an issue for, yes, the book DID come before the movie. And yes, I thought the book was better (which is really saying something because I LOVED the movie). As I read it, I felt like I was sitting on a rickety Southern porch listening to some old guy in a rocker tell me tall tales. Wallace's written voice in this book is superb.
Daddy-Long-Legs by Jean Webster
This is a children's classic, written in letter format (which is almost as fun as encyclopedia format) that I should have read a long time ago. But then, I'm a sucker for turn-of-the-century coming of age stories.
The Hours by Michael Cunningham
I loved the movie that this book was based on, so I thought I'd give the book a try. It was beautifully written, and I could almost hear the movie's soundtrack (which is hauntingly gorgeous) playing in the background as I read. I also loved how the lives of the characters were so intertwined. But the homosexual lifestyles of some of the characters got a little tiring for me.
The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio by Terry Ryan
Also picked this one up because I loved the movie, but, even though the book was good, I think the movie did a better job portraying the overall mood of the story.
The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches by Jeff Yeager
I liked his frugal philosophy and his idea to go on "fiscal fasts" (a pre-determined period of time where you deny yourself the spending of any money) every once in a while. He's a funny, straightforward guy whose mouth, I think, could use a good wash with soap.
A Little Bit of Paris by Jean-Jacque Sempe
A wordless book of cartoonish sketches of life in Paris, as depicted by the famous New Yorker artist, Sempe. A lot of fun to browse through.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling
Like many of you, I spent many wakeful nights reading this one, but it was a newborn, and not necessarily the story, that kept me up page-turning. Despite that, though, yes I loved it.
A Chainless Soul by Katherine Frank
A biography of Emily Bronte. Depressing, as are most biographies of the Bronte's, especially as she argues that Emily was suffering from anorexia, which I'm not totally sure I agree with. But I'm a sucker for that family and devour anything and everything written by or about them.
In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash by Jean Shepherd
This was a second reading, so yes, it's that good. And oh so funny. If you liked A Christmas Story, you'll love this book. It's Ralphie and the leg lamp and bb gun and so. much. more.
The Making of a Story by Alice LaPlante
An excellent book on how to write a story. I think it's often used as a textbook, but that didn't seem to stop me.
The Baby Book by Dr. Sears
A good resource for the days when parenting is confusing.
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
Read this because everyone else was. However, I think I might be the only person on the planet who hated it. I seriously spent the entire book waiting for it to get fantastic like everyone told me it would. But, no. Still waiting. So I won't be reading the rest of the trilogy.
Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld
Never had a chance to make any of the recipes (because apparently everyone else in Brooklyn wanted to check this book out from the library, too), but they were intriguing. Don't know, though, that I'd ever have the energy to puree all those vegetables.
All righty then. There's my report. And now the next time you're wondering what book you should pick up the next time you're itching to read something, you have a whole slew of options. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go clean my "recent reads" list and start fresh.
15 comments:
I just finished reading the three Twilight books last night. I was actually thinking of doing a whole post about how they are over rated. I thought the story had a lot of potential, but it just never got there. I thought the writing fell short. I also got incredibly annoyed at how superficial all the characters were. How many times can Bella say that Edward is gorgeous? Is that the only thing that is good about him? Anyways, although I didn't hate the books like you did, I also thought they were shallow quick reads devoid of anything meaningful. Fun to read, but lacking depth.
I haven't read many of the other books on your list, but I am curious now. I, too, was a history major at BYU and find biographies and such fascinating. Thanks for the list of good suggestions.
Okay, so I'm going to put in my two bit about the Twilight series. I really enjoyed them. Now, being a high school librarian, I read A LOT of teen fiction. Most of the popular stuff is full of sex, drugs, and loads of foul language. I found this story refreshing, since it contains none of the above! While I wouldn't say it is the best book I've ever read, it is definitely one of the better YA books I have read in the past couple of years.
I thought I was the only person out there who hated Twilight, but I guess there's two of us :)
And I'm not really jumping on the hiding vegetables in food bandwagon because I'd rather just feed my kids veggies and beans straight up. I'm weird like that. (And a bit of a snob like that...)
Thanks for the book list. I am intrigued by many, and they are on my long list of books I will read.
I am now in the middle of the second Twilight book. After reading the first, I said I loved it--but now I think I have decided that it was, in fact, a great page turner, but lacked depth of character and was way too sappy. That being said, I am reading the second one and want to find out what happens. So maybe I loved it, or maybe I didn't, I don't know. Oh, and Miriam B. from book club HATED it with a passion--so there are a few of you out there.
Also, my sister just uses her own recipes and puts pureed veggies in them. I keep thinking I'll try it. But, like you, it just seems like it is too much work. I'll just give them squash cooked the way I like it if I need them to have squash.
How on earth do you find the time to read all that? I have trouble reading the lessons for Sunday. Then again I probably spend way too much time reading blogs. But don't tell anyone that.
I'm glad you liked Big Fish.
And I can understand not liking Twilight. It's not that fabulous for all the lauding it gets. I think people just like vampires, I guess. :)
thank you for the list. I'm always looking for a captivating read. I don't have as much time to read as I used to, so I don't like to waste time reading superficial books (not a Twilight fan either.) Thanks again for the great suggestions.
I have a gigantic stack of books out from the library and no matter how many I read, there are more coming (I have holds on about 10 items at all times...)
I knew we were frinds for a reason! I am so glad to know that there are now at least TWO people who thought that Twilight was ridiculous! I also read it because everyone else kept telling me how fabu it was...so I was skeptical going in to it. Sure enough...BLECK. I mean, come on...a vampire who has been around for hundreds of years and the love of his life is some 17 year old girl with way too much teen angst, who thinks she's so clever because she has read Pride & Prejudice? And that's supposed to be romantic??? Again, I say BLECK.
I must be the only one commenting here who loved Twilight. Superficial and juvenile? Yes...but very engaging. I'm normally a nonfiction kind of person, but I enjoyed this series. And hello! Edward is hot. Who cares if he's 17? (Ok, that sounds bad; but you know what I mean.)
And see, I have ZERO desire to read Harry Potter, yet everybody raves about them. To each his own, I guess.
Well, I have to say that I have been keeping up on your blog. I always love looking at it....and well, you have inspired me to begin reading again. It has been so fun. I think that I let myself hate it for too long after reading my guts out in school but I am back at it. I have to say though that I loved the Twilight series. It is really sappy but it is like your other blogger, engaging. I am going to write these on my list of things to read. THANKS for taking the time to put that on your blog!
I'm out here lost because I can't seem to get ahold of anything that just keeps my attention. Maybe it's age...I should check out the Nora Ephron book?
I've been spending a lot of time looking through bookstores because our local library is deplorable. I do, however have your list now to check some possibilities. Thanks!
Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions... I am always looking for good books to read, and think it is helpful every once in a while to venture away from fiction... I love biographies, and memoirs.
As for the Twilight books, I've read them. I enjoyed the read.. but did get totally fed up with all the teen angst.
Thanks for the report! I need some good suggestions since I'm heading to the library tomorrow! :)
Great timing! Our book group was in need of some suggestions. Thanks!
Post a Comment