Tuesday, February 26, 2008

causing a scene

So apparently there's this group based in New York City called Improv Everywhere (motto: "We cause scenes"). According to their website, the group "causes scenes of chaos and joy in public places," and to date they have "executed over 70 missions."

What sort of missions, you ask?

For starters, there was Frozen Grand Central where over 200 agents froze in place at the exact same time for five whole minutes on the main concourse of Grand Central Station, causing much confused amazement:




Then there's also the annual No Pants mission. In January, for the seventh time, approximately 900 agents rode three major NYC subway lines sans pants. Sadly (or happily), I missed it. But I certainly got a good chuckle out of the video report:




I haven't watched any of their other mission videos, but, after watching this clip from the Today Show, I continue to be intrigued. Just skimming through their Mission page piques my curiosity and makes me want to waste more time on the internet.

They seem to welcome new agents, if you're interested. Acting's really not my thing, and wearing pants really is, so becoming an Improv Everywhere agent isn't anywhere near my priority list. But I'm curious, would YOU join in?

12 comments:

Dave said...

I heard that at BYU in one of the quads everyone started dancing on cue, then they stopped just as suddenly as they started. I wish I could have seen it. Apparently they gather using text messaging.
- Dave

Lindsay said...

Yeah, I've heard of those BYU flash mobs. The Improv Everywhere guys, though, claim that they are not flash mobs.

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

I agree, I like my pants, and acting is not my thing--so I don't think I'll join. So, so funny.
I also think that the 'Just for Laughs' show (that is on some channel lately) is funny too.

Anonymous said...

I probably wouldn't join because I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face.

Lyndsie Miles said...

So funny! This is something I would have tried in high school. I am not brave enough now... and sitting on the dirty ground with no pants! Ahh! Maybe that's just the mom in me.

goddessdivine said...

Huh, something like this was pulled on Trax a while back; I'm sure it had to do with this. I thought it was rather grotesque.

The freezing on cue thing is pretty funny though. I couldn't do that w/o laughing.

mcampbell said...

Um, this completely delights me.

I would join in at least once. Just to have done it. It cracks me up.
Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Yes, the freezing on cue was by far my fav (I watched a couple others). The desktop computers in a Starbucks was pretty funny too, I thought.

heath said...

Oh, just kidding. I apparently didn't sign in with my account--that last one was me.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I heard about the trax no pants day here in Utah. Good thing I don't go there normally. I think it would be fun to freeze in place, but not to go public without my pants. (Go figure :)

Ashley Thalman said...

of course i would. it doesn't really take all that much to put a little tweek in the norms we so heavily depend on being present in our day-to-day.
in fact in my dada art class we are planning a similar project. stay tuned...

Mumsy said...

Oh, I missed the pantless one. I love the frozen GCT. Awesome.