
I know I've mentioned before just how hilariously fantastic I think the recently-translated-to-English editions of the adventures of the French schoolboy, Nicholas, are. But my love of these stories went up a notch a few days ago. Let me tell you why.
First of all, I don't know if you've noticed, but there seems to be more good quality, classic books, especially those in a series, out there for young girls than there are for young boys. Maybe it seems this way to me because I AM a girl and read books which appealed to little girls when I was younger. But after having a conversation with a friend of mine about a year ago, I realized that I wasn't the only who thinks and is a bit troubled by this. So when I discovered that the Nicholas stories, which I'd originally been introduced to in my French classes, are in the process of being translated to English, I jumped all over them. Currently we have in our possession all four English translations, which are gut-bustingly funny and so, SO fun to read:
Tucked away inside one of the books was a postcard-sized registration form for the newly created Nicholas Club. How fun, we thought. It was totally free, and so, even though he was only a few months old, we signed Garrett up. Because, after all, as a potentially rambunctious little boy who will no doubt spend many hours listening to me read Nicholas's adventures out loud to him, he's bound to grow up loving these stories.
A few days ago, a package arrived in the mail, addressed to Garrett, from the Phaidon Press sponsored Nicholas Club. Not expecting anything more than an occasional e-newsletter from the club, I opened the envelope and was more than pleasantly surprised to find this:
So anyway, here's my plug for the Nicholas books and the corresponding club. Go sign your kids up! But don't forget to read the books, too; they're so funny, they're more than worth the time it takes to read them, and I imagine, too, that the club will be a bit more meaningful if you do.
17 comments:
I can't wait to read them to Abel. I think they are exactly how he and his friends will think when they are Nicholas' age. I enjoyed reading Nicholas; I think reading them out loud does them the best justice...kind of like Portuguese Irregular Verbs.
Maybe I should sign up Abel for the Nicholas club. He'd love to be a part of something.
Speaking of books and free stuff, you should sign up Garrett for the Imagination Library. Go to www.imaginationlibrary.com to see if your county is a participant. If they are, Garrett will get one book a month until he is five! How awesome is that?
Well, unfortunately my son has grown past the age of the Nicholas books, but I can agree 100% that the literature out there for young boys is in very short supply. (Quality literature, that is...)
I think it's so important in the nurturing process to have time for reading, and I'll bet these books will be a hit.
Sarah - That Imagination Library sounds awesome! But I just checked it out and my county doesn't participate. So sad! Maybe someday they'll decide to join in...or maybe we'll just move before all of our kids are older than 5. :) And you totally should sign Abel up. He'd dig this, I'm sure. :)
I don't know Lindsay, I think there are quite a lot of young boy series/stories out there - it depends what age you are looking for and what kinds of stories...I noticed Nicholas stories are designed for 9-12 yr olds.
I will however admit that there are probably many more designed for girls exclusively. I think I will work on making a list of little boy books...
Melissa - I'd love to see your list! The only young boy books (that I consider to be of high quality) that readily come to my mind are things like Nicholas (obviously), Henry Huggins, My Father's Dragon, Mr. Popper's Penguins, The Phantom Tollbooth, etc. I know there are also a lot of fantasy-type books out there that boys love (though the names of all of them escape me right now). In fact, most of what I see on the shelves now ARE fantasy books. All these that I've listed, too, are also more geared to older readers (like you said, 9-12). Is there more out there for younger boys (like 6-9), keeping in mind that, for me, series like Goosebumps and whatnot just don't cut it for me in the "quality" category.
I've never read them in English...I've just read the French about his vacations. So cute!
Thanks for the tip! I definitely need to go check Nicholas out. I've started worrying about boy books too. I have no problems finding girl books, but I want everyone in my home to love reading. Let us know if you find more.
P.S. It seems like Roald Dahl would be pretty good for that 6-9 age group.
Okay, so here's my list, for what it's worth. Keep in mind that I'm a YA librarian, so children's lit is not my forte.
For younger readers (Pre-2nd)
The Snowy Day by: Ezra Keats
Runaway Bunny by: Magaret Brown
Where the Wild Things Are
by: Maurice Sendak
George & Martha Series
by: James Marshall
Magic Tree House Series (I would not classify this as a classic series, but it is really fun and very attractive to young boys!)
by: Mary Pope Osborn
Nate the Great Series
by: Marjorie Sharmat
For older readers (9 yrs. and up)
Mouse and the Motorcycle Series
by: Beverly Cleary
Bunnicula Series by: James Howe
Stuart Little by: E.B. White
The Young Visiters
by: Daisy Ashford
Summer of the Monkeys & Where the Red Fern Grows by: Wilson Rawls
Chronicles of Narnia by: C.S. Lewis
James & the Giant Peach
by: Roald Dahl
Charlie Bones Series
by: Jenny Nimmo
Peter & the Starcatchers Series
by: Dave Barry & Ridley Pearson
Fablehaven Series by: Brandon Mull
This is seriously the coolest thing. I'm so signing up right now!
I am so excited to sign Josh and Drew up! Josh loves it when I read to him and I think this would be awesome for me as well! Thank you for the heads up!
I think I read about Nicholas in M. Burnah's class, is that the way you were introduced? Looks totally adorable, thanks for the recommendation!
Janetta - I actually first started reading the French versions in my French classes at Ricks. M. Burnah always made our class read these complicated, drawn-out novels about love and blind people. Nicholas would have definitely been preferred over THAT.
how fun is this!?
Lindsay,
Sorry to hear that Imagination Library is not supported in your county. Maybe you can change that? :)
What an awesome little discovery! And this whole time I didn't know that you speak French! I do too, although not fluently...4 years in high school and a few college classes up to the literature level. We should have been French-speaking buddies this whole time! I totally want those Nicholas books now.
I think it's so cool you did this. I love getting things in the mail, especially unexpected ones!
Post a Comment