Monday, February 18, 2008

loving the lower east side

Because we try to be glass-is-half-full kind of people, we took the "50% chance of rain" weather report to mean "50% chance it won't rain" and, along with our friends, Emily and Adam, decided to do some exploring in the city. I told Blake that I was all over a President's Day Weekend excursion -- so long as we visited some place we hadn't seen yet. And so today we all tackled the Lower East Side.

And because we're apparently not only optimists but kids-at-heart as well, our first stop was to a 70-year-old candy store called Economy Candy.


This place was amazing! We're talking a sugar-filled paradise of wall-to-wall candy, with everything from vintage varieties to upscale imports. So cool.

Armed with some Swedish Fish and Sixlets, we next trekked along the Bowery, saw the entrance to the Williamsburg Bridge, and walked in and around Chinatown in search of Little Italy:

You should all know, too, that Chinatown smells strongly of fresh fish and spices, while Little Italy smells like fresh mozzarella and marinara sauce. Also, you know you're in Little Italy if you start spotting parking meters, street signs and fire hydrants painted green, white, and red, just like the Italian flag:

We walked along Orchard Street, which was fun and a great place for bargains, even though it wasn't the Sunday Market, and past the Tenement Museum (which I will one day tour, so stay tuned). The buildings in this part were old and definitely reminiscent of the fact that this was the settlement destination for countless scores of fresh-from-Ellis-Island immigrants. We also walked by the impressive old Police Headquarters, and just before we did, bumped into a group of guys I knew from my days living at Southridge. Small world? Yes, indeed. But it didn't hurt that Blake was wearing a BYU sweatshirt. (For the handful of you who are on the edge of your seats, wondering who it was we saw, I will tell you that the only guy we saw whose name I remembered was Joe Dixon. And yes, he seems to be doing well.)

We will have to go back to the Lower East Side again sometime because even though we stopped for a by-the-slice pizza in Little Italy, we still need to try Katz's Deli and maybe also find a delicious Jewish bagel shop because ohmygoodness: New York bagels (which were brought here by Jewish immigrants) are to. Die. For. But this was a good trip to whet our palates.


(And by the way: though it came awfully close a time or two, it didn't rain. The day was instead an incredibly pleasant 50ish degrees. So I guess the glass-is-half-full is the way to go.)

14 comments:

heath said...

Joe Dixon?! So jealous.

JoEllen said...

Your next excursion to Little Italy MUST include a cannoli stop. Cannolis (spell on that?) are WONDERFUL and although they are available in all parts of the nation, none compare to the creaminess of those found in Little Italy. I prefer the chocolate dipped ones, Sal is an original kind-of guy.

Carrie said...

Looks like you two had quite the fun filled day. Happy excursions are always a blast.

lori said...

You ran into Joe? Wes's best friend his whole growing up life? Smile.

LOVE you guys for taking advantage of all the adventures in your backyard. How great. It makes me want to go...do something. =)

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

My brother lives on the corner of Chinatown and Little Italy. It's great! There's an absolutely fabulous Chinese Dumpling place you have to try. I don't know the exact location, but it's called Dumpling House. It has amazing food at even more amazing prices. Try the sesame pancake sandwich (I think that's what it was.) It was soooooo delicious. And cheap. I think there are 3 kinds, and I got the vegetable one. 3 adults ate to the point of nearly exploding for $10.50.

Lippy said...

I am so enjoying seeing everything again for the first time through your eyes. You're living the NY experience the way it should be lived: to the fullest!

I have a tendency to focus on NY City food, lol, and you mentioned Katz's Deli. You have GOT to put that on your To-See list because it's food like you've never seen, both quality and quantity. You might want to fast a day or two before you go there, and bring a doggy bag! I'm 6'4 235 pounds, and I couldn't finish my lunch!

Thanks for the tour. I've been in and around the City my whole life, and I think I still haven't seen it all.

goddessdivine said...

Mmmmm, Swedish fish.

I don't think I'd care for China Town; hate the smell of fish.

Looks like a fun day!

Unknown said...

I'm most jealous of the sixlets...best candy in the world. and...I was wondering if you would ever run into joe and nate. how fun! i'm with lori...your ny posts always make me want to do something.

KaLee said...

Excellent candy choices! If I would have had the day OFF (stupid work), I could have gone and done something too! But, I should probably be honest. With the weather around here, I wouldn't have gone anywhere. :)

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Fun! I'm jealous of all of your outings.

Sara said...

Random! Emily and Adam were in our married student ward in Provo the last few months we lived there...and Adam was in my singles' ward a couple years before that (and French choir, of course)...totally random! Looks like you all had fun! You've got me thinking about all the exploring we haven't done in Michigan...

Sarah Kay said...

Sounds like a blast! I love exploring, and NYC is one HUGE exploration. Awesome.

Jenny P. said...

I love reading about your adventures. And the pictures too. What fun!

Mel said...

Just one question: Does Blake ever get the privilege of carrying Garrett in the Snugli?