A pile of Goodwill-bound clothes
plus
an idea to salvage what I could from the pile
plus
a few years of collecting
plus
many hours cutting squares
plus
even more hours quilting the squares
plus
a couple weeks sewing the squares together
multiplied
under the weight of the blanket's growing heaviness
plus
two days cutting the fringe
multiplied
by an ocean of tiny threads all over my floor
plus
a trip to the laundromat to give it an industrial strength wash and dry
plus
a wee bit of frustration at having to patch up a few mistakes just when I thought I was finished
equals
plus
an idea to salvage what I could from the pile
plus
a few years of collecting
plus
many hours cutting squares
plus
even more hours quilting the squares
plus
a couple weeks sewing the squares together
multiplied
under the weight of the blanket's growing heaviness
plus
two days cutting the fringe
multiplied
by an ocean of tiny threads all over my floor
plus
a trip to the laundromat to give it an industrial strength wash and dry
plus
a wee bit of frustration at having to patch up a few mistakes just when I thought I was finished
equals
one heavy and enormous, but memorable, warm, and lovely rag quilt made by yours truly.
24 comments:
I absolutely love it! I recently made a quilt out of all my scraps too. It's so fun to reminisce over all the things you've made with the fabrics. As far as I'm concerned, these are the funnest quilts around. I've never made a rag quilt though, where did you get the instructions?
How fabulous!!! Way to go, friend!!
It is gorgeous! Are all of the fabrics flannel or all different? Did they all fray pretty well?
Wow! I would love to learn how to make something like that some day. Great job!
Wow! I am quite impressed. I think it is lovely too.
That looks fabulous! Good job!
Lindsay, I'm totally weirded out by you posting pictures of your quilt today. Only because I was about to compose my own post... about a quilt I just finished. Complete with pictures. Yet another parallel post.
Your quilt is amazing! I've never done a rag quilt, but have always wanted to do one. I don't have enough scraps, I don't think. Yours look wonderful though... great for snuggling under!
Thanks, guys! It's the easiest quilt in the world to make (trust me, there's something about open seams and the term "rag quilt" that makes uneven edges and crooked seams somehow okay). I gathered the instructions from a variety of places: friends who had made similar quilts, an enrichment activity, the internet, plus a few of my own putting together of two and two. Since I used old clothes to make it, the fabric is anything but uniform. In this quilt there are cottons, denims, fleeces, knits, stretchy fabrics, stiff fabrics, sweater-ish fabrics...you name it. Some frayed better than others, but I was expecting that. So try it out. If I can do it, ANYONE can do it.
And MommyJ...that's funny. But you know what they say...great minds think alike, right?
Love, love, love it. Thanks for sharing!
Holy cow, that is probably the biggest quilt I've ever seen. It's enormous! Wow. Good job, it looks great. I'll make one of those someday. :)
That is a beautiful quilt. I'm very impressed at your skills, madam. Congrats on a job well done!
Great job!
That's beautiful! I did a rag quilt for my dad for Christmas about a year ago and ironed on pictures of our family growing up. I thought I did a nice job, given that it was my first try, but I haven't seen it since I gave it to him . . . :O
Anyway, your quilt is gorgeous. Gives me inspiration to try another one. Maybe to keep this time. ;)
2 words:
HU-GE.
Awesome, Lindsay. I love rag quilts. Scott is waiting for me to make one for us with lots of bright colors.
Are you kidding me? That is incredible. My mom would be drooling. Not so much over how beautiful it is, although she would think it was. But because she wishes I would join the quilting world! I'll have to link her the post so maybe she can make me one. That's the second best thing to me making it. (I think:))
Great stinking job, I'm glad I'm one of the lucky few who get to see it in person!
you said you were going to sew a little something...YOU DID! what inspiration you are. you are so active; in mind, in spirit.
That quilt brings tears to my eyes. Mostly because I have made one quilt in my life. My toddlers bed quilt and it very difficult for me. (and that's putting it mildly!) I must say I am now one of your admirers because I don't think I could ever do it!
.
Holy crap!
Is that thing as huge as it looks?
way to go! I really want to curl up under it!
That looks so AWESOME! I love quilting--it makes me feel like I have been really productive in using my time on somthing I can enjoy forever instead of watching movies or going out to eat or something...
way to go! looks like it is nice and warm :)
So pretty! Reminds me of how I made my recent afghan. ;)
Wow. I am totally impressed.
You spent a lot of time sewing! My hat is off to you! I can sew buttons on!
Post a Comment