And so is Garrett. Well, I suppose I shouldn't generalize
too much. So let me rephrase: We are allergic to Massachusetts
in June. All that green. All those blossoms. Though they're a seriously miserable problem for everyone else in my family, I seem to have gotten away with only the traveling variety of hay fever: I'm fine when I'm home, wherever I may be presently calling home, but the minute I hit the road for some fabulous summer weekend destination, I come down with a horrible case of the sniffles. Like the time, two years ago, when we inadvertently planned a trip to Mascoutah, Illinois, during what turned out to be a weekend of high spring pollen counts. I never thought I'd be so grateful to know that allergies run rampant in my extended family as well, but, see, my uncle had a stash of Claritin he was willing to share with me.
Anyhow, all sniffles and wads of Kleenex aside, we got home last night from a weekend trip to
the Berkshires. The reason for the getaway was a party, held at the Darger family's barn just outside Pittsfield, hosted by my aunt and uncle to celebrate the recent marriages of two of my cousins. I love the city, but love getting away sometimes, too. It was nice to be able to relax, and even nicer to get to visit with so much family. The barn party was a blast, full of delicious food, which was grilled to perfection by Blake, and baked, sliced, and arranged by everyone else. Even though every ounce of in-between time was spent blowing my own nose or wiping snot from Garrett's, we had a wonderful time.
This is the barn. Isn't it fabulous? Inscribed inside above one of the doors is the line, "It was the kind of barn children liked to play in," from Charlotte's Web, which I thought to be most fitting.
And here we are, taking a break from the constant nose-wiping and sneezing.There's no doubt that
trees grow in Brooklyn, but I do sure love the fact that, now that I'm back in my cement-surrounded home, my head is less congested and I don't have to blow my nose as often.
***
While we were gone, my computer-savvy brother created a fabulous new header for my blog. Isn't it awesome? Thanks so much, Tyler!
8 comments:
So sorry about the sniffles. That is miserable.
Your header looks great! He's got talent!
Seriously, how cool is that barn? I once attended a baby blessing in a barn and I thought it was the neatest thing. The sniffles are terrible to deal with, but I'm jealous that you're surrounded by so much greenery.
Lindsay, how do you know Erin? We did, in fact, just move into the Muncie first ward. We love it already, everyone has been so welcoming and wonderful. Good luck not being allergic to Massachusetts, my husband swears by loratadine. And, by the way, I happen to love LM Montgomery's books, too; you can read them over and over.
Hi Lindsay-
I found the link to your blog on Athena's good reads page and I have had lots of fun reading about your adventures. Your little boy is so cute!!
Ok, I LOVE that barn! But I am glad you're able to be home with less nose blowing to worry about.
And Tyler did an awesome job on the header! It is so cool!
I hope I am not allergic to Massachusetts, because we are going to be there next week!
Peter - I've never actually met Erin. I found her blog a few years ago and have been hooked ever since. But anyway, hooray for the Muncie 1st Ward! So many fantastic people live in those boundaries. Also, if you're ever looking for something fun to do, check out the Jar Museum on Wheeling Ave. It's the personal canning jar collection of Mr. Robinson, and it's housed in his garage. If he's not sitting out front when you drive by, just knock on his door and he'll be more than happy to show his jars and tell you all sorts of cool stories about them.
Jolynn - Hey there!! I'm so glad you found me! What have you been up to these last few years, friend? I'd love to catch up with you ...would you mind sending me an invite to your blog? My address is lindsay23 (at) gmail (dot) com.
That is one fancy barn! I love it!
Post a Comment