There's Lindsey, who, when she was little and lived down the street from me, used to feed "pizza" to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with my brother, Riley, by slipping pieces of bread down the sewer hole in front of our house. And there's Linsey, whose underwear "caught fire" at a slumber party. And of course one can't forget Lyndsie, who has been a bosom friend and kindred spirit since we discovered we shared the same name and therefore thought it appropriate that we eat lunch together on that first day of 7th grade. Yes, there have been many Lindsay's in my life.
When I was younger (and less forgiving), my life would become a perfect graveyard of buried hopes each time someone misspelled my name. The variety that irked me the most was Lindsey. I realize that it's an honest mistake, given the long 'e' sound in the second syllable, but it still sent me into the depths of despair. I like my letter a.
There was a time, though, when I didn't particularly like the name Lindsay. It seemed too plain and hopelessly without any thrills. I sincerely wished, and often imagined, that I had been named Charlotte. Charlotte was by far a much more romantic sounding name. But after being told one day by my dental hygienist as she cleaned my teeth that I looked exactly like a Lindsay, I decided I might as well take what I was given and run with it -- so long as it was spelled with an 'a.'
What difference does it make how it's spelled? you may be asking yourself.
"Oh, it makes such a difference. It looks so much nicer. When you hear a name pronounced can't you always see it in your mind, just as if it was printed out? I can; and [L-i-n-d-s-e-y] looks dreadful, but [L-i-n-d-s-a-y] looks so much more distinguished. If you'll only call me [Lindsay] spelled with an [a] I shall try to reconcile myself to not being called [Charlotte]."
At any rate, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes, spelling or otherwise, in it?
(Um, yes, I am, in fact, presently reading Anne of Green Gables, and the further along in the story I get, the more I catch myself wondering if perhaps Anne - with an e - Shirley and I are kindred spirits. Anyway, I'm happy to report that I have grown wiser and more experienced since my first reading of the book, and am consequently now finding it perfectly delightful and myself eager to devour more.)
13 comments:
Yes, I'm right there with you on the correct spelling thing. Mine is ALWAYS misspelled. And, now that I am older, it doesn't bother me as much, but still makes me feel extra special if someone pays enough attention and spells it correctly.
And then there's my sis-in-law who spells is Lynsey. Picture a tall, thin redhead. =)
Oh, and people get my last name wrong all the time. Even when I spell it out for them. It was quite a bit easier when my last name was Waterman.
Amen! I have shared similar thoughts about wanting another name… but my current dental hygienist happens to be Lindsey Weaver from school, and we haven’t really talked about the whole name thing together for a while.
I have become accustom to having my name misspelled all the time! But at least they only misspell one letter of your name, no matter how difficult it is to accept the name as your's when it is off. My brother shortened my name to Lyn-z early on because he couldn’t even remember how to spell my name… well, not really, but more to make it easy to put into video games.
I am not only careless with spelling names incorrectly, but I also call people by incorrect names. So... Charlotte if I have ever spelled your name incorrectly, I do apologize. (Please take my age into consideration!)
Loved this post. Since name spelling has always been a thorn in my side. I have only met one other person with my spelling. I love the uniqueness now, but I was devastated in junior high and elementary school when there were no pencils or pads of paper personalized with "KaLee". Darn that capital "l".
I always visualize the way people's names are spelled. I frequently get Clair or even Clare but I love Claire best. I like your spelling, too.
cute post. I often quote anne to myself when I've had a bad day. luckily, my name is most always spelled correctly, but it's not unique as your blogroll indicates :)
Lindsay is a wonderful name. And you're right, it gets misspelled all the time!!!
People have always misspelled my name. I've just gotten used to it.
BTW, I love the name Lyndsay!
My best friend growing up spelled her name Lyndsay. I always thought that was how it was supposed to be spelled. :) Well, Lindsay-spell-it-with-an-a, I am so glad you like the Anne books better now. I simply love them!
I think I have doomed Kaleigh to a similar fate. Already many people have misspelled her name and for those who don't know her, have a hard time pronouncing it. The receptionists and nurses at her pediatrician's office could never get it right. Ever since I saw the animated film, Quest for Camelot, I liked the name Kayley. But I wanted to spell it in more unique way. One day Kaleigh is going to blame and hate me for it. I guess that what I get for going with something unique.
Oh yes, the 'name game' - played it long!
Love, Christi, no I mean, wait it's Christy, oops -Christie, no it's Kristy, getting closer with Kristi, no, I mean
KRISTIE!!
(and to think my parents named me Kristen!)
My Momma is a Lindsay with an a, so I have to say that is my favorite way to spell it!
Post a Comment