Tuesday, June 10, 2008

i guess the lord must be in new york city

So over the weekend a disgustingly oppressive heat wave settled in over the city. We're talking hot and humid, with the heat index sizzling at a miserable 105 degrees (give or take...some places have reached 110, they say).

Not fun. Especially when your apartment is not yet equipped with A/C.

But I'm trying not to think about that. Because, despite the sticky sweatiness, I am still of the opinion, shared by Brooklyn-born crooner, Harry Nilsson, that "the Lord must be in New York City." And here is why:
  • Public parks with fountains of cool water for splashing in. (Even though Garrett could care less for the sprinkling water, I thought it was wonderful. And the breeze coming off the bay only made it better.)


  • Friends who open their air conditioned homes and invite you in for afternoons of blissfully cool companionship. (And even though I'm too, too sad to see some of them move away, I am pretty happy that they're going to sell us one of their A/Cs when they go.)
  • Karen, my most recent landromat friend, who, upon hearing we had yet to purchase and install a window A/C unit, offered to let us borrow her box fan for as long as we need it.
  • That, again, we're blessed to live in an apartment with windows on three sides, allowing for delicious, fan-directed cross-breezes.
  • The local availability of Wyler's Authentic Italian Ices.
  • Cool baths and showers, which we all take many of each day.
  • A multitude of air conditioned libraries and museums easily within reach throughout this city.
With the threat of thunderstorms this evening, the heat wave is expected to dissipate enough that by tomorrow the temperatures will be hovering closer to normal. To which I say again, "I guess the Lord must be in New York City."

Hallelujah and praise be.

In other news, after waiting an obscene amount of time for it, we finally have a mobile boy on our hands! He's not technically crawling, but he's learned well enough how to scoot around. (Yes, the scanner has become his new favorite obsession. And yes, I've been happily spending my time rearranging our apartment.)



14 comments:

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I am glad that you are still positive-thinking when you have rough days (I read your comment on Lori's blog :) Hope things look up again soon! Love the little swimmy-suit Garrett's wearing!

Claudia said...

You must be on of the most positive person I know! (ok ... so I don't know you in person but I've read you long enough to feel that I can say this, right?).

Love this stage Garrett is in and let me tell you this boy is so smart to be scooting on those hardwood floors instead of crawling on them all the time!!! Cute as always!!

Claudia said...

If you look in my blog - I know you probably can't read it b/c is in Spanish but you can see the pictures of Nico playing in the water as well!

Nancy said...

Will was a rear end/right leg scooter like Garrett. He never did crawl on all fours and he is magnificantly well adjusted and as smart as a whip. (So thinks this grandma :) He also loves Garrett's videos!

Katie said...

I know lots of babies who never crawl. They go right from scooting on their bums to standing up and walking. Go Garrett!

We haven't even come close to needing our cooler this year. Share the heat!

Lyndsie Miles said...

Oh! That is hot! Smart to stay cool! Sounds like you have it down. Andrew was so excited to watch the clip of Garrett going... I think he was getting ideas!

Anonymous said...

After living in the East and the South, I would describe the heat and humidity combined with clothing akin to being wrapped in Saran wrap! : )

Amy F. P. said...

I love how you're always so positive about everything.

lori said...

ug. heat is hard. And it sounds like the high temps aren't the only thing that have been threatening your happiness of late....I so much appreicate your list of blessings in spite of it all. Glad we're on the same try-to-be-grateful-when-life-is-hard wave length =) Glad there's so much to be grateful for!

goddessdivine said...

I would die w/o A/C. I hope you are able to get it soon!

Watch out for that mobile stage. Not that I'm a mom.....but just watching my nephews (and chasing after them) is exhausting. Have fun!

JoEllen said...

Garrett has a whole new world to explore. Congrats to him!

Some of Sal's very favorite memories of growing up in Queens involve extremely hot days. Just like in the movies, he would play in the fire hydrants and water soaked streets until it was time for bed. I just love Garrett's swimming suit!

Sarah said...

Congratulations to Garrett! And good luck to you in baby-proofing the house. It seems they always find something to destroy despite our best efforts.

Hope you get a AC unit soon!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I can't imagine the heat and humidity without an A/C. We did the no A/C thing in Reno. Our apt. thermostat was set at 90 and it hit that more than once. But that was a dry heat.

I'm glad your parks have splash pads.

The video is also very cute.

Mallory said...

I love that picture of Garrett at the top. Carson often gives me the same face as if to say "are you kidding me mom, another picture?" Its just so hard to resist, especially when they're so cute.