Thursday, June 26, 2008

frozen

I don't know how people got by in the days before the electric freezer, because I'm here to tell you that I'm addicted to mine. It's nothing fancy: just the top portion of my Frigidaire. But, oh! The frozen solid wonders it holds!

There's the chicken (boneless/skinless, as well as ribbed breasts, drumsticks, and thighs), the ground beef (portioned into one pound chunks), the grated cheese, the extra loaves of bread, the vegetables, the hot dogs, the pork roast, the hamburger buns, the fish sticks, the Italian sausage, the flour tortillas, the meatballs, the sticks of butter, and the second loaf of meatloaf my recipe made last week. And let's not forget the ice cubes and the popsicles, necessities to beat the summer heat.

Though I don't have any in there currently, other things that taste delicious frozen are Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Swedish Fish, and grapes. Really. Go freeze some. You won't be sorry.

I like to imagine that one day I'll be the kind of woman that is lucky enough to own two freezers: one attached to my refrigerator in the kitchen, and another (standing or chest style) stashed away in the basement or garage. If ever that day comes, watch out because I'm sure I'll start sale-shopping and stockpiling like the world's going to end tomorrow!

There's only one drawback to the electric freezer (besides the requirement and cost of electricity), and unfortunately it's a pretty major one. If you want to whip that frozen chunk of ground beef into a delicious dish of stroganoff, well, you'd better think ahead of time because baby, that beef's gotta thaw! So while it's pretty fantastic to have the option to stockpile and store all sorts of goods away in the cold recesses of the freezer, you've got to think sooner than thirty minutes before you want to eat to begin the thawing process.

Which means that we won't be eating barbecued pork sandwiches for dinner tonight.

6 comments:

Claudia said...

Wow ... I know you said it's one of those freezer on top of your refrigerator but BOY YOU storage a lot of stuff!!!!

Can't you thaw your meet on the microwave or if you put it on super hot water??? I'm asking because I've done that (forget to thaw my meat during the day while I'm at work) and I just let it thaw those ways I've mention.

Reece's cup frozen sounds delicious, too bad I'm on a strict diet right now.

Lindsay said...

Yeah, I also don't know what people did before the microwave, because, since I usually forget to thaw my stuff a day ahead of time, I let the microwave do it. Sometimes, though (like the in the case of the frozen solid pork roast we're not eating for dinner tonight), the microwave just won't cut it.

Lyndsie Miles said...

Amen! The only problem with the freezer is that you need electricity... and if the power goes out for long periods of time I want a generator to go with it!

JoEllen said...

I love frozen grapes, especially this time of year. They're sooooo good!

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

So, this tip won't help with your frozen roast, but this is what I do with my meat purchased on sale:

I brown the hamburger and freeze it already browned. Then, if I want easy beef stroganoff, just 30 seconds in the microwave and it's ready to be thrown in with the sauce.
I put chicken in the crockpot overnight and then dice the cooked chicken and freeze it so it's ready for casseroles.
That's what I do, and it works for me. I happen to be one of those lucky ladies that has another freezer in the pantry. It's glorious!

Emily said...

Swedish Fish? Weird. Sounds like something this pregnant girl could go for right now, though. Tell you what else I could go for...a 3-day vacation inside a walk-in freezer. The humidity is KILLING me!