Tuesday, June 03, 2008

top o' the muffin to you!

It seems that lately I've become a big fan of muffins. They're usually pretty easy to make, there are countless varieties (so it's hard to get bored of them), whipping up a batch gives me a great excuse to use my really cool stoneware muffin pan, and I don't know about you, but it's just hard to beat a simple Saturday breakfast comprised of fresh, homemade muffins. Tonight we tried a new recipe, Maple-Walnut Muffins, which went splendidly with our German Pancake And Fresh Fruit dinner.

Maple-Walnut Muffins

6 tbsp butter
1 cup flour
1/4 sugar
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup sour cream
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 400. Prepare muffin tin and set aside. In a medium bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Meanwhile, sift flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. In the medium bowl, whisk melted butter, sour cream, egg, and vanilla until well blended. Add butter-sour cream mixture to flour mixture and blend. Stir in maple syrup and walnuts. Divide evenly into muffin cups and bake 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Makes about 8 muffins.

I strongly suggest you all try these out sometime -- they were delicious! I'll probably double the recipe next time since six just wasn't enough. (Our stoneware pan makes six larger muffins.)

And now, I'm curious: what is YOUR favorite muffin recipe?

(Because, really -- did you think I'd divulge the secret of the tasty Maple-Walnut Muffin without expecting something just as delicious in return? Yeah...not likely.)

18 comments:

Kristin said...

These aren't breakfast muffins, but they are the muffin I make the most. Great with potato chowder or chili.

Sweet Corn Muffins

Stir together:
1 1/4 c flour
3/4 c yellow cornmeal
1/4 c sugar
1 TBSP baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Mix separately:
1 c milk
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 TBSP butter, melted
2 TBSP honey
1 tsp vanilla

Stir all ingredients, just enough to combine. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes

FoxyJ said...

This morning I made some banana muffins using the recipe from the Cooks Illustrated "best recipe" cookbook. They were pretty tasty. The Joy of Cooking suggests the same method: you start by creaming butter & sugar together, then add eggs, then flour/wet ingredients. Kind of a like a cake, so it makes a very fluffy muffin.

I love my mini muffin pans because they're a great size for snacking and for giving to small children. Generally a mini muffin is less messy than a full-size one (though Little Dude proved me wrong on that today) and it makes easier portion control for me. I like to buy the mini chocolate chips when they're on sale and add them to pumpkin or banana muffins. Mini chips work better in mini muffins, and they disperse well so I usually only use about 1/4 a bag per batch.

Desmama said...

Oooh, this post made me hungry. I'll have to give these a go. I also have a muffin recipe that calls for several ingredients but the end result is deliciously moist and hearty. I'll post it on my blog. Thanks for the recipe!

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

I think I have a few I love, but I have been craving these lately. Yum. (They're in your Muncie cookbook and you've actually poted the recipe on your blog before, I think, but just in case...

Lemon Muffins

1 ¾ cup flour
¾ cup sugar
1 Tbsp. grated lemon peel
1 tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 8 oz. carton lemon yogurt
6 Tbsp. melted butter
1 egg
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Combine dry ingredients. Whisk wet ingredients and add to dry, stir until barely combined. Spoon into greased muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes at 375.

Glaze:
Mix the peel and juice from one lemon with enough powdered sugar to make a light glaze. Poke muffins with a fork and pour mixture on top while they are still hot.

Lindsay said...

Oooh...those sweet corn muffins look tasty. I have a sweet corn bread recipe that I love, and I wonder if this is similar. I'll have to try them out and see!

FoxyJ - I've considered investing in a mini muffin pan, especially now that Garrett's getting old enough to finger smaller pieces of food. Maybe I'll have to take the plunge. :)

Can't wait to see what you post, Desmama!

And yes, who can forget the Delicious Lemon Muffins. I am a BIG fan of those puppies!

Keep sharing the muffin love, you guys! This is great!

Jessica said...

They have the best muffins in the bakerys in NYC. I got one across the street from the Carnagie Deli on 7th ave. that was really good--honestly the best muffin I've ever had. I also got one in the bakery next door to the temple, which wasn't as spectacular, but better than I can make!

Nancy said...

Here's my favorite to eat and to make...
Glazed Mandarin Blueberry Muffins
21/4 c. flour
1T. baking powder (*note it's 1T not a 1 teaspoon)
1 c. buttermilk
1 egg
1/2 margarine or butter, melted
1 pt. fresh or frozen blueberries
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 t. vanilla
7 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained and chopped
Stir together flour and b.p. in a large bowl. In another bowl beat egg, butter,sugar, vanilla and buttermilk; stir in oranges.
Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and stir in just enough to moisten the ingredients.
Add blueberries, stirring carefully.
Bake for 20-25 mmin. at 400. Cool
Orange Glaze...
1/2 c. confectioner's sugar
2 T. orange juice
1 t. orange zest
1/4 c. chopped pecans.
Mix together conf. sugar, zest, o.j. to make glaze. Drizzle over cool muffins and garnish with pecans. (SCRUMPTIOUS!)

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

For a sugary dessert muffin, I love this recipe.

For a good breakfast muffin, I like the bran muffin recipe on the back of the quaker oat bran box. I'm too lazy to go get it right now though!!

Disco Mom said...

I love my mini muffin tins. I had a 12-er and it took way too long to cook a whole batch of muffin batter 12 minis at a time so I got a 24 one so that's better. They're perfect for self-feeding kiddos, especially frozen so they don't crumb as fast. I'm loving Kelly's muffins from last week's playgroup. But my favorite muffins are made from a devil's food cake mix with a chocolate chip cream cheese center - too tired to copy the recipe. Some might call them cupcakes but they're not frosted so I call them muffins. But these Morning Glory Muffins pack a healthy and very delicious punch.

Disco Mom said...

Oh and I forgot my VERY favorite muffins are from Trader Joe's pumpkin bread mix. It's seasonal only available in the fall so I stock up for the year. I usually add a little oatmeal, mini chocolate chips and chopped pecans. The absolute very very best ever!!! And my kids GOBBLE them up.

Disco Mom said...

More comments! PLEASE email me and tell me how you do that cool quote thing making the recipe look different!

FoxyJ said...

I just remembered these muffins we tried a while ago. Ours turned out tasting just like gingerbread and they were so good:

Gingersnap Muffins

Sarah said...

I fell in love with a college friend's recipe during a study group - blueberry. I got the recipe from her and used it for years. Then, after I got married, I realized it was the same recipe in the Better Homes and Garden book. I was a bit surprised she had tried to pass off the recipe as hers...

anyway, I still think it's a great recipe. Muffins, pg. 60. I'm a big fan of using blueberries with fresh lemon juice and peel.

Lindsay said...

Jessica - I'm so sad you didn't call me when you were here! I would have been so glad to go eat a bakery muffin with you!

Nancy - Thanks for sharing...that looks divine!

Celia - Also, thanks for sharing. Those look good. And I've been curious about a good bran muffin. Blake says he doesn't like them, but I'm convinced that if I found the right recipe, I might be able to change his mind.

Disco Mom - I'm not going to let you get away with not sharing that cupcake/muffin recipe. Do share! Also, if you want to put some in quotes, just highlight what you want blocked and click the quotation mark button in your compose post template. Each blogger template does quotes slightly differently, but it's the same idea with each one.

FoxyJ - Mmmm...gingerbread is a favorite at our house. I'll definitely be trying those out!

Sarah - Can you believe...I don't own a copy of the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. Maybe it's time to invest. Of course, that muffin recipes is probably online somewhere, right?

See, guys, aren't muffins the best? :) Thanks for sharing your favorites!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

I have had some gross bran muffins, but these were good. Another decent breakfast muffin (ie not overly sweet and/or healthy) recipe is

pumpkin wheat honey muffins

I just made them this week. I didn't have pumpkin so I used pureed (and watered down to a pumpkin consistency) sweet potato. Matt hates sweet potato and he couldn't tell one bit that's what I used. I also increased it to 1 c, and I think this is a MUST.

Disco Mom said...

As promised:

Chocolate Surprise Muffins
From the Chocolate Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn

Filling:
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup miniature chocolate chips

Cake:
24 paper liners for muffin pan
1 package plain devil’s food cake mix
1 1/3 cups water
½ cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs

Directions:

1. Place cream cheese and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat on low speed until combined, 30 seconds. Add vanilla and egg. Beat another 30 seconds on low until egg is incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips and set aside.
2. Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 350F. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
3. Place cake mix, water, oil, and eggs in large mixing bowl. Blend on low speed for 1 minute. Stop and scrape down sides. Increase speed to medium and beat 2 more minutes until thick and well combined. Spoon batter into the lined muffin cups, filling each liner 2/3 of the way full. Spoon a heaping teaspoon of the filling onto the center of each muffin. The filling will sink into the batter as the muffins bake. Place pans in oven.
4. Bake until muffins spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, 23 to 27 minutes. Remove pans from oven and place on wire cooling racks for 5 minutes. Remove muffins carefully to wire racks and cool for 15 minutes before serving.

Sarah said...

Lindsay, I can't believe you missed getting that as a wedding gift! Here's the link to the recipe:
http://www.bhg.com/recipes/recipedetail.jsp?recipeId=R090676

BTW, I made your muffins this morning and they were divine. It was an answer to prayer...I needed something yummy to make for Tessa's teacher as a thank you and your muffins were perfect (Amazingly I had all the ingredients). I can't wait to make them for myself.

Kristie said...

Mary Kay Lyon introduced these to me, so much fun to substitute ingrediants!
Morning Glory Muffins
Excerpted from Leslie Mackie's Macrina Bakery & Café Cookbook: Favorite Breads, Pastries, Sweets & Savories (Sasquatch Books, October 2006). .
Makes 12 muffins
This is by far our most popular muffin, and customers have been requesting the recipe for years.
I prefer fresh pineapple when possible, but the unsweetened, canned variety works just fine.
1/2 cup seedless raisins
1/3 cup walnut halves
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 medium carrot, grated
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and grated
3/4 cup chopped pineapple
3 eggs
1/4 cup canola oil
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
1/3 cup coarse raw sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Brush the insides of a muffin tin with canola oil.
2. Place raisins in a small bowl and cover with hot tap water. Let sit for 10 minutes while raisins plump, then drain and squeeze out excess liquid with your hands. Set aside. Place walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool, then chop coarsely and set aside.