It doesn't take a lot of scrutiny to see that Garrett looks an awful lot like his papa: the round face, the adorable cheeks, the cleft chin, pouty lower lip, and smiley mouth. It also doesn't take a genius to see that he inherited both his blond hair and fair skin from his mama. Not too long ago, I came to the realization that it wasn't just skin color that he inherited from me; Garrett has unfortunately also acquired my skin's temperament.
About a month ago, I started noticing a scaly, bumpy, but decidedly not red rash developing on his legs. Before too long it had spread to his arms. Thinking it was a heat rash caused by my tendency to overdo it with blankets at night, I not only lessened the amount of blankets I tucked him in with, but, in an effort to keep the sweat glands from getting clogged, I also stopped putting baby powder and lotion on his body after his nightly baths. This did not help. In fact, the bumps got worse and ultimately consumed the entirety of both arms and legs. At this point, Blake suggested that I take him to the doctor. While I seriously toyed with the idea, the rash, while concerning, just didn't have the look of something to get too worked up about. Falling back on my mother's instinct, I told Blake I wanted to wait a few more days before taking such drastic measures. "I don't want to spend $20 for a co-pay just to have the doctor tell me he's got dry skin or something," I said.
And then it hit me: dry skin. What if this rash wasn't a rash? What if it was just very thirsty skin? It is winter, after all, and I, his DNA-bequeathing mother, get horrible dry skin problems at this time of year. With a fresh point of view, I took up some new tactics to bring my baby's sweet, soft skin back.
Even though I've been told that too much contact with water can strip skin of hydrating membranes, I didn't want to deprive Garrett of his nightly baths. He loves the water too much and by 6:00 in the evening when we're all worn out from the day, the only place either of us want him to be is happily splashing in the tub. So the bath routine stayed. I did, though, start using my bar of Dove soap to wash him. My skin's become addicted to its gently moisturizing qualities, and I didn't think it would be such a bad idea to let Garrett's skin have a taste.
I also started searching the shelves of my local drugstores for some heavy duty baby lotion that I might use to lock in what moisture his skin did have. I initially didn't think there'd be much of a market for cure-alls for dry baby skin. After all, aren't all babies supposed to have soft, supple skin? But it turns out that there is. Because Aveeno, with their natural colloidal oatmeal-including formulas, has helped my skin in the past, I ultimately purchased some Aveeno Baby Soothing Relief Moisture Cream. And let me just tell you: this stuff is fabulous! I began by slathering it all over his arms and legs two or three times a day, then eventually to twice a day (morning and after-bath evening). Now I'm just using it once a day, after he's out of the tub. It's been only a week and Garrett's skin is sweet and soft again. Not a sign left to indicate that he ever had scaly, bumpy, dry, dry skin.
So Dove and Aveeno: you make great products. I'm a fan. You've fixed my baby's skin (and, let's be honest here, you've done much to fix mine, too). And if you ever need a new spokesperson, I'm your girl.
Anyway, I'm glad that I was able to fix this little problem. It was sure a lot cheaper and less embarrassing than a trip to the doctor. But I feel kinda bad that my innocent, unassuming little boy inherited such a nasty trait from me. It's sad, too, to realize that he'll probably sunburn (and by "sunburn" I mean "burn to a crisp") after only 10 minutes outside in the summer sun, with or without sunblock. I will, however, consider us all very lucky if the skin problems stop at that, rather than developing into embarrassing teenage acne and cancerous moles like they did for me. My fingers are eternally crossed for you, Garrett. And in case that doesn't work, just know I've become somewhat of a trailblazer when it comes to temperamental skin and, when it comes time, I'll be happy to find you a good dermatologist.
8 comments:
Thanks for the tips! My kids inherited my skin, too. Argh. Right now we are battling the same thing. That is the ONLY reason I can't wait for the NY summer to return--humidity and all. (I'm almost too embarrassed to show my face because it looks so bad--peeling, scaly. YUCK.)
I'm going to go buy me some Dove.
Ooh, I love Aveeno baby lotion. My kids thankfully don't have skin that is too dry or sensitive. But we've been very worried about sunburns and skin cancer. My husband has very fair skin and only burns, doesn't tan. I will tan, but I also have a tendency to burn as well. Since my hubby has already had some cancerous spots on his face (growing up in Hawaii and burning horrendously will do that to you) we've been very paranoid. But I'm proud to say that S-Boogie has never had a sunburn in her life (going on five years now!). She's still very pale, but I want to keep her that way. We're extra vigilant about sunscreen, our kids always wear hats and sunglasses, and we try to stay inside or in the shade during peak sun hours. Thankfully for most little ones the middle of the day is nap and lunch time. For example, when we're in Hawaii we usually get up and hit the beach first thing in the morning for only a few hours. Then by 11 we get back to Grandma's in the afternoon for lunch and naps; then we go out to do other things in the late afternoon and evening. Putting on sunscreen and wearing hats can be annoying, but I don't want my kids to have skin cancer at 26 like their daddy did!
One really great thing I found was a sunscreen stick for faces; it easily fits in a diaper bag and it's a snap to put on when you're out and about, not just at the beach.
I've never found anything I like as well as Aveeno. It's amazing.
Dry skin is such a pain! So glad you were able to find something to make your baby "babysoft" again!
Good to know. I have Aveeno's shave gel and have wondered as I read the label in the shower (I read all labels) about its colloidal oatmeal power and if it would be good for my baby. I think I'll add it to my shopping list. :)
Lindsay-great blog! You crack me up. I too have little reptilian offspring and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Burt's Bees "Baby Bee" skin care products and soaps. They're all we use. They make a great Apricot Baby Oil that is miraculous--Ingredients: Apricot kernel oil, grapeseed oil, wheat germ oil, Vitamin E, rosemary leaf oil, sunflower oil, vegetable oil, and oh, MORE Vitamin E. I add about 1/4 teaspoon to my kids' baths and their skin is soft and sweet (albeit JUST a tad slimy). So you may not need it since the Aveeno stuff seems to be working great, but I just thought I'd throw that out there because I'm a HUGE fan!
Way to trust your instincts! I've spent a small fortune on co-pays for being overly paranoid.
Thank you for the tip. We fight dry skin all the time! I'll have to give Aveeno baby lotion a try!
Post a Comment