The other day I counted all the couples I knew who are currently pregnant and it totaled up to 16 people (including my brother, Tyler, and his wife, Amanda). If you count the people I know who have had babies in the last three weeks (including my cousin, Julie, with her sweet Baby Sofia), it brings the number up to 19.
Nineteen!! It may be true that me and a large portion of my circle of friends are of prime child-bearing age and circumstance, but numbers this high make me impractically and irrationally baby hungry.
The amount of friends and relatives making baby announcements appeared to be growing exponentially and since I didn't want to suddenly discover that I, too, was pregnant, I went yesterday for an appointment at my new ob/gyn.
I am not pregnant. (And that sound you just heard was my practical, rational side releasing a heavy sigh of relief.)
But I have now checked "get annual physical exam" off my to-do list and have simultaneously established a relationship with a good doctor (who came recommended to me by most of the women in my ward) so that when the time comes for us to join in with the baby-announcement-making crowd, I will already be armed with a physician.
Going to the doctor in Brooklyn is different than going to the doctor...oh...anywhere else I've ever been to the doctor. The office is not located in a fancy schmancy clinic connected to a state-of-the-art hospital, but rather on the bottom floor of a home. It is a private practice in every sense of the word. My visit also had a personal feel to it that I'd never before been privileged to experience. It was the doctor himself who called me back, and before we went to the exam room, we sat and chatted for a few minutes in his office beneath his certificate-encrusted walls. I hadn't ever been given the chance to engage in an interview of sorts with my doctor, and I think I could get used to this sort of thing. In its own way, this appointment felt eerily similar to a visit to Dr. Cliff Huxtable at his private OB practice located in the first level of his Brooklyn Heights home.
(And though it has nothing to do with the office atmosphere, I for some reason feel it worth mentioning that, once you've gone through nine months of regular check-ups and have delivered a baby, an annual physical exam is a cakewalk and absolutely nothing to get stressed over.)
Even though it will be some time before my practical, rational side and my impractical, irrational side find a compromising middle ground on the baby-hunger issue, I do have a happy announcement to make. Yesterday at work, Blake was awarded a promotion and with it an accompanying salary increase and bonus. In the months since he began this job, he has worked incredibly hard and deserves every ounce of this reward. Congratulations, Blake! I'm so proud of you!
20 comments:
Congratulations, indeed!!! So happy that Blake is being recognized for his hard work! And congrats to you to, Linds! You guys are very obviously a wonderful team!
As for the baby issue: I find myself baby hungry whenever I read your blog! Garrett seems so big to you, I'm sure...but all of the DARLILNG videos you post make me so excited for another "little" one! It goes so fast, huh?!
(And, dang! I want Dr. Huxtable for my ob/g!)
Congratulations to both of you on Blake's great news. Well deserved! They are lucky to have him.
Wow, conrats! We know how he searched for the job that would fit just right, sounds like this one's a glove! And if his Pit playing skills are any indication, I'm sure he'll go far!
You'll have to tell him that Frank, who's now a data analyst out here, is beginning to contemplate PhD programs...
Way to go Blake! That's really great. And I love the image of a Dr. Huxtable visit. So fun!
I was thinking even before I read your reference to it that it was sounding an awful lot like Dr. Huxtable's office. Very nice. Congratulations to husband!
Very interesting about the Dr.'s visit. I've recently watched a lot of the Cosby show since I got the DVDs of the first two seasons for my birthday, and I wondered about his office in his home. It was unlike anything I've ever known, and it seemed so...unrealistic? I guess it's just because I"m used to the western clinics. I think I could get used to that kind of set up though. Seems much more personal.
Congratulations! That is a great reward for value Blake has created!
I would be very interested in finding a dr that is very personal. I know I love our family dr, but he is in our ward and to have him deliver my babies may seem a little strange. It's hard to not be baby hungry with such a cute little guy! Good luck with the battle of your wills!
Good job for checking something off your list!
Congrats Blake
Congrats to the Anderson team on the promotion!! It sounds well deserved!
Love the Cosby Show.
That's an interesting way to do visits. It'd be weird to go to someone's home; but I guess you'd get used to it.
And congrats to Blake. Already promoted in such a short time. That's great.
Wonderful news about Blake and the doctor and let us know when baby 2 is expected. (That sentence sure runs on doesn't it :)
19?! Wow. I thought our ward was the winner of that award. Guess not! We even have several sets of multiples. :) Congrats on the promotion!
I found myself baby hungry about the time Jackson was 8 months old. I was pregnant by the time he was 12 months. I will NOT be doing that again, by the way. Little did I know - even though he's 2 1/2 now - he's STILL a baby!! :) So - enjoy Garrett. Darling little Garrett!
Congrats Blake and Lindsay! I can definitely attest to Blake's continuous hard work.
Smile. Good for Blake! That's wonderful news.
I like the thought of any world that will (eventually) hold more offspring of Blake and Lindsay A. I mean, you did such a nice job the first time... :
again, congrats blake! and I too, am spoiled by my doctor's visits. and there have been many. I happen to agree that Garrett has made the rest of us very jealous
A really good doctor can make a world of difference in baby birthing experiences... when henry was born, my doctor prayed with me in his office the week before my c-section, and came straight to the recovery room and prayed again, thanking God that everything went as planned. I can't even begin to express how comforting that was!
Garrett is what, eight months? Not at all too young for you to be baby hungry again. I mean, I wouldn't do it so soon, but a lot of people do!
Having said that, how on earth are you going to navigate your way around Brooklyn when you have two? I guess a baby carrier... and a stroller?
Oh, and yay for the promotion!! Congratulations to Blake. I've never met him, but I am still oh so happy for him! And you!
Congrats on the promotion... and I too find myself baby hungry with all the baby announcements lately!!!
Post a Comment