Thursday, September 20, 2007

Connection Restored

Because we here at our house are all about saving a few bucks each month, and apparently because we’re also easily fed up with obnoxious phone companies, a few days ago we tacked a second cell phone onto our plan (so Blake could feel like a true New Yorker, gabbing on his cell phone to his lovely significant other as he commuted back and forth to work and so I could I could do the same as I hung out at the grocery store), said goodbye to our land line -- and with it our DSL internet -- and installed cable internet. So, now that my connection with the rest of world has been restored, I can fill you in on what's been happening the last little while in our little world:

- Blake and I spoke in church on Sunday. AND we were called to be the Nursery leaders. AND we did it all with a kicking, screaming baby. You may commence your pity on us. (Just kidding about the pity. We all survived, and now our Sundays will involve snack time, play time, and blowing bubbles, so no deprivation here.)

- I made (and won!) my first bid on eBay. And now my baby boy gets to parade around as Garrett the Carrot on Halloween:



- I (finally) started working on Garrett's baby book. And then I started getting dissatisfied with how it was going. And then I decided (for some strange reason) that it would be better if I created my own baby book/journal for him. We'll see how this little project goes.

- I made lasagna for the first time ever. Okay, I take that back. I've made lasagna before in a crock pot, but it never really turned out all that great. So this was my first attempt at lasagna in a traditional 9x13 pan. And reports given by those who ate it lead me to believe that it was a success. So, yay.

- Garrett and I trekked again to Manhattan yesterday to meet Blake after work. While in the city we ran a few errands and, on my aunt's recommendation, stopped by Greeley Square to check out the statue of Horace Greeley. I'm pretty sure that only those as addicted to Newsies as I was back in the day will truly appreciate the significance of personally witnessing said statue. (And yes, I resisted the temptation to climb up into his lap and take a nap.)



- After having several people recommend I read it, and after surviving the move that prevented me from getting it sooner, I was finally able to get my hands on a copy of The Happiest Baby on the Block to see what Dr. Harvey Karp had to say about soothing colicky babies. Though I'm still trying to perfect his technique, I'm already eager to shout this man's praises. Or maybe it's just working because Garrett's starting to come out this phase on his own. Either way, generally speaking, we have a happier baby at our house these days. Which makes ALL of us happier. In a nutshell, his "colic cure" technique revolves around the idea that babies from birth to 3-4 months are essentially experiencing a "4th trimester" and therefore need to live in a world as womb-like as possible in order to stay calm. In practice it involves what he calls "the 5 S's": tight swaddling, letting the baby lay on his side or stomach, loud shhhing, vigorous swinging, and sucking, all done quickly together in order to turn on the baby's calming reflex. So far, Garrett's quite the fan:



- And speaking of Garrett (again), we got our insurance cards in the mail and I was able to make him an appointment for a wellness check-up with his new doctor. The soonest I was able to get him in is October 15th (we're still waiting for the insurance to begin), so essentially his 2-month appointment that we missed because we were in transit and insurance-less will happen at 3 1/2 months. But, better late than never, right? Yeah, I thought so, too.

- Okay, last tidbit of business before I sign off. I just wanted to let you all see, because I'm getting quite the kick out of it, that Garrett has discovered his hands. And with that he has also discovered that they taste pretty darn good:

13 comments:

AmyJane said...

Glad you're back online. I was wondering if ya'll had been killed on a subway somewhere, since you're normally such a regular poster.
Also, I thought it was funny that your first Ebay experience was for a halloween costume, since mine was too. Patrick's 1st halloween costume (even though it was his 2nd halloween--we brought him home from the hospital on Halloween 05) was a gymboree dalmation that I bought on Ebay for a fraction of it's original cost.

Jessica said...

oh Lindsay Lindsay. We haven't had TV since we were married--we buy all of our TV shows off of iTunes and watch them on the iPod or our computer. Its SO much cheaper than cable and then you have to really pay attention to what you are watching. If you're ever down one day you can just go to your computer and pay $2 for an episode! Just thought I'd share the joy--we love Monk!

lori said...

Oh! That carrot costume is a crack up!! That will be DARLING!
And I know a new mom who might appreciate your "5 S's"...I'll have to pass them along!

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Mary says, We love your movie, and Garrett. The costume is sooo cute." Shaylie says, "Garrett is adorable. I love that we can hear him sucking on his hands." Jennica's at ballet so missed this viewing of the blog. I say ditto to all of the above and I sure wish we could cuddle the little carrot this Halloween!

heath said...

I love the carrot! Classic.

Katie said...

Garrett the Carrot! :) You have to let me know how you upload those videos. I can't figure out how to get mine small enough so it doesn't take upwards of a decade to upload. :)

Dave said...

I'm glad you're back too. I've also missed Lindsay reading time. Here are a few NYC equations that might help with the culture differences of "city" life and the rest of us.

Cable = Internet connection
Cable ≠ TV because
NYC = Free TV via "rabbit ears"
Phone = Cell

Is that correct?

Desmama said...

Garrett the Carrot. DesTot will be enormously pleased to see the wee child dressing up as the vegetable she originally thought he was. He is so precious!

P.S. I'm jealous of your new calling! I'd love to work in nursery with my wriggling TinyDes.

Sara said...

A carrot? Fabulous! I think my favorite "S" is "shhhing". We use a noise machine...and it works wonders. Even at 10 months that seems to be the most important "S" to Christopher. No more swaddling, though! No way would he put up with that!

Kristeee said...

I'm glad you're up and running again, and feeling like New Yawkers. Garrett the Carrot? *giggle* Hilarious, but very cute!

Those 5 S's sound like a good trick (though I'm still hoping I won't know the joys of colicky baby in my house). And the picture of him all wrapped up like a burrito baby with his sleepy, puffy eyes is precious.

And sad that you didn't hope up in good ol' Horace's lap . . . but I suppose you're a mommy now and shouldn't do such crazy things :). I don't remember all the trees being around him, though...

Kristeee said...

Hey! I was your 12,000th visitor! Do I get a prize?? :)

jeanine said...

The five s's are AWESOME! James wasn't even colicky and it helped a ton! He still loves the tight swaddle and the sushing! I hope it works for you.

Amy said...

Lindsay!
Welcome back.... I was wondering what happened to you... :)

WE spoke in church yesterday, too, AND I am the nursery leader. SPOOOOKY!!!!

And last, but not least, the 5's!!!! OH MY GOODNESS... those little tips SAVED MY LIFE. Hopefully they will continue to work for Garrett (the carrott! YEAH!! you got the costume :)