Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Mid-Week Hodgepodge

So, as I type this, I'm listening to my landlord (or "super," as in "superintendent of the building," which I understand now to be the correct term here for landlord) and two maintenance guys yak up a storm in Polish. They're here in my apartment to replace the three windows that were cracked when we moved in, as well as fix one of the locks on our front door. It's absolutely fascinating to listen to them. After spending 7-ish years studying it in school, I can pick out fairly well words and phrases spoken in French, as well as a bit of Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese. I can understand a bit of German occasionally just because it's a lot like English. But I absolutely cannot pick out a lick of Polish. One of the maintenance guys knocked on the door a bit ago and started rattling off in Polish what I assume was something along the lines of, "I'm here to take measurements on your broken windows," and all I could say back was something along the lines of, "I have no idea what you just said." Maybe after being exposed to it frequently like I am, I'll eventually learn a few words and phrases in Polish. That could be cool.

This morning I did something I'd never done before: I went to playgroup. I walked down four blocks to a small park, met up with 3 other women in the ward, along with their children, and sat and talked with them in the cool breeze for nearly three hours. It was nice being able to get to know some of the other young mothers in the ward. I was able to ask them a few of my harbored questions about the neighborhood, and they were able to give me some pointers and advice on how to get around here. I really enjoyed myself -- it's a refreshing boost to be starting to make friends here. But I have to say it: there's nothing quite like being welcomed into the playgroup that makes you feel like a mother.

And speaking of being a mother... Garrett is smiling!!! He mostly does it when I play with the corners of his mouth, but once or twice he's done it on his own. I haven't been able to capture his adorable grins on camera yet, but as soon as I do, you will know. It's such a relief to have evidence that even though he cries a lot, Garrett can be a happy, smiley baby. His neck is also getting really strong, and he's starting to do pretty well at holding his head up. Call me a proud mama, but I'm pretty pleased! I'm pretty pleased, too, at the fact that stripping him down to his diaper and wrapping him in the silky side of one of his blankets cures him of a screaming episode. I suppose that there's nothing quite like being naked and enveloped in synthetic silk to make you believe that all really is right with the world.

8 comments:

goddessdivine said...

Maybe I'll wrap myself in silk the next time I have a crying episode.

Sounds like you are making yourself quite a home there--cozy apartment, new friends, settling into the ward; go you.

Desmama said...

Yeah, I'm going to remember that the next time I have a rough day. Maybe I can convince myself to indulge in some really nice, really high-thread-count sheets or something.

Jenny said...

Yay for mommy friends and playgroup and fixes for screaming babes. Ethan still sleeps with his silky blanky from the colic days.

lori said...

This is a sweet post, linds! Glad your initiation into the world of play groups is complete! And yea for a smiling Garret! Nothing in the world like seeing your baby smile, huh?!
(also glad to hear you are a fellow Secret Garden fan!! What do they say about great minds...? :))

Jessica said...

You live in New York? I was JUST there! Dang if I'd have known I'd have stopped by! Well Valerie and I may take a trip to New York sometime in the next year--we'll have to stop by and say hi if we do!

Kristeee said...

Hehe - a playgroup would be just the thing to make you feel like a "real" mommy, huh? "I'm all grown up and going back to playgroups, only as a mommy this time!" Fun things.

Polish is so hard to understand - every other word ends in ski or sta, so they're hard to tell apart. But it'd be so cool to start learning - and they have dang good food and love to feed people. Stay in their good graces! :)

That's funny that a silky blanket stops the screams - how'd you figure that one out? (and good job!)

Wright Family said...

You are becoming quite the New Yorker. I'm so proud of you. I'm glad you were able to get out and make some friends.

heath said...

Some of my favorite people in the world are Polish--true story. I can't remember how to say anything, not even hello!