Tuesday, January 02, 2007

And….We’re Back!

We flew back yesterday from our lovely stay with Blake’s family in San Antonio. It was a long day (air travel makes me antsy) with A LOT of luggage (which was, I guess, to be expected, considering Christmas and Blake’s birthday, plus a bit of pre-birthday for me, happened while we were there), but we made it back safe, sound, and in one piece. Here are a few quick highlights (in no particular order) of the trip:

  • San Antonio was warm. Not incredibly tropical, but warmer than Muncie. And that was nice.
  • We got a boat tour of the Riverwalk and that was not only beautiful in the evening with the neat old buildings along the river lit up by Christmas lights, but it was absolutely fascinating. Our tour guide was a little cheesy, but he had some very interesting things to tell us about the history of the river and the inhabitants along it, as well as its practical ability to prevent floods from damaging the city.
  • We visited the Mexican Market where Blake and I bought a pretty and brightly colored vase along with some trademark paper mache flowers to put inside it. These will definitely brighten up our little apartment.
  • Fredericksburg was a lot of fun, like I mentioned in my last post. And, again, so was that store, Bath Junkie. I think if I keep wearing this honeysuckle perfume, I just might turn into a honeysuckle plant. By the way, if you ever do get a chance to visit Fredericksburg, might I suggest you go in the springtime. Blake and I discovered when we drove through on our way to our wedding open house a year and a half ago that on the outskirts of town are wildflower farms. So pretty!
  • It was great visiting with Blake’s family to get to know them all better. I’ve decided (again) that I really like them all. I couldn’t have picked a better family to marry into.
  • Christmas!!! I do love me a good Christmas holiday. And a very generous Santa found us both in Muncie AND in San Antonio. I feel very loved.
  • My favorite cousin, Julie, got to drive down from Austin to spend a few hours with us on New Year’s Eve. It was great seeing her again.
  • After-Christmas shopping was highly successful. I love the incredible deals I can find in the clearance sales after the holidays.
  • The part where the whole family got to help Blake's youngest brother, Neil, get his finger- and toenails clipped was quite the adventure. Neil is a strong 14-year-old, who has Down Syndrome, and who is totally awesome, but who absolutely hates getting his nails clipped. And that might be an understatement.
  • Doing a session at the San Antonio temple was very...uplifting. And needed. And oh my, is it a gorgeous temple!
  • Blake’s birthday was fun. I really enjoyed the part where he liked what I got him, and shrieked a little to prove it.
  • The food. Was. Fabulous. Between the fried turkey his dad whipped up, the sweet and sour chicken his brother, Eric, made, and the brisket, ham, and traditional Walk Around dinner (not to mention the gourmet breakfasts) his mom was able to so beautifully throw together, we all ate incredibly well.
  • Ah! Sleeping in! It was nice to wake up at 8:00 and not feel guilty about it.

Today I’m back at work trying to tie up loose ends before our ENORMOUS week-long economic development course begins next week. I’m still not sure how it all came together last year, and this year, the powers that be decided that I’d do a good job running the show. We’ll see about that one. My head is spinning just thinking about all the piddly things there are still left to do. I will be glad when it’s over. So just as a heads up…I don’t know how much you’ll be seeing of me and my new blog posts in the next two weeks. I’ll pop in when I can, though.

Happy New Year!!!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Glad you're back with a nice little Mexican vase to remember the warm vacation :) Don't worry about taking time off - after all the Christmas blogging that went on, I think we're all feeling a little blog fatigue...

Sarah Kay said...

Happy New Year! Glad your trip to TX was nice and warm!