Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Happy Birthday

I didn't realize before today that turning 25 could be so great! Blake's taken incredible care to make sure that this day is as perfect for me as he can make it.

He hinted to me a few days ago that he was going to whisk me away to "France" for my birthday. So this morning, in order to do so, he got up a little earlier and made me a gourmet 2-course breakfast of cheese and crepes, orange juice and hot chocolate. He even pulled out some of the nicer dishes and a tablecloth for the occasion. The table looked beautiful (I took a picture, which I can post later). Then he put together lovely little croissant sandwiches and fruit for our sack lunches. Meanwhile, the soundtrack to Amelie was playing in the background. He purchased it a few days ago as a gift for me, and last night I guess he programmed it on the stereo to begin playing as we sat down to breakfast. (Our timing was a little off, but the effect was still there...especially when I discovered that he'd been hiding the CD case underneath my overturned breakfast plate.) Though I've long been intrigued by it, I've never seen the movie, Amelie, and I probably never will, on account its rating, but Blake and I recently discovered that the soundtrack is pretty fun, so it was definitely a worthwhile investment.

But wait -- this isn't all! There is more planned for this evening, too. On the menu for this tonight is Quiche Lorraine (my absolute favorite meal) with imported French lemonade (from the international section at Meijer) and cherry chip cake with chocolate frosting for dessert (have you ever dipped your fingers into the divinity that is cherry chip cake? If you haven't, you should. It's delish. But good luck finding the mix...apparently it's not available in Indiana or California -- my family sent a box of it in their birthday package to me).

(Based on on the delicious food Blake is feeding me today, I'm getting the feeling that not only does he love me and want to feed me food I love, but he's also picked up on the fact that now that the morning sickness has made itself scarce, I'm hungry pretty much all the time and seem to live for my meals. Is this normal? Is this what they mean by "eating for two"?)

The rest of the evening will probably be spent in opening a few gifts and cards and installing the hi-speed internet we ordered (today is the official first day of our service -- what timing! Can I just say how totally thrilled I am to have decently fast internet at home?! We're definitely moving up in the world). So, because I can, I just might have to post again tonight, and maybe include a few pictures.

Thank you, Blake, (in the words of my sister, Chelsea) so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so MUCH for giving me such a wonderful day! I love you!!

9 comments:

AmyJane said...

Ooh, fun. What a thoughtful husband you have...all that cooking. You should really appreciate birthdays and Christmases now, before your baby takes all gift giving precedence.

Also, the ravenous hunger? Totally normal. I just made myself eat two or three healthy things before indulging in junk due to hunger. It helped a lot to visualize actually feeding the baby a Twinkie or a greasy burger or whatever. Since that thought made me feel like a bad mom, I could usually find a healthier substitute. I am glad you're starting to feel better though.

Sarah Kay said...

Happy Birthday!

Sounds like Blake is a keeper.
Well done.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Lindsay,
I'm so glad you've been able to enjoy a little piece of France. It took me over twentysix years to take your Mom there. Blake is a genius. Know that we love you and think of you often. You are a wonderful person to know and love.
Dad

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Happy Birthday! You're now a quarter of a century. Your day sounds like a lot of fun. I can't even remember what we did for my 25th...

I think we went out to eat then I went to yoga and he played computer games...

but maybe that was my 24th...

Anyway, like sarah said, he sounds like a keeper!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Yaay! Kudos on having a wonderful, wonderful husband, and kudos on turning 25! Now you can rent a car! (Hey--it was a big deal to me. :^))

Sara said...

Yup. Completely normal! (Although sometimes it's still hits pretty hard...I had ice cream for breakfast yesterday!) Joyeux Anniversaire!

Claire said...

Lindsay, happy birthday! As my gift to you, if you really do want to see Amelie and don't mind edited copies from Cougar Rentals or wherever it is she gets them, my sister-in-law has one I'm sure she'd be willing to mail out to you, as long as you mailed it back in a reasonable period of time. Just let me know through the blog, or your cousin Julie has my email address. I watched it over Christmas and liked it well enough, but then again I know next to nothing about France or French culture. My sis-in-law is much more artsy though and loves it. It does have a good little story. Anyhow, just let me know and I can make it happen. Or I think she can get you your own copy for $7.99, that's how much she is getting us a copy of Gladiator for. Don't ask me how or where she gets these, some underground connection someplace. Anyhow, happy b-day.

Lindsay said...

Thanks, everyone, for your good wishes! It was a fabulous day.

And Amyjane and EYofA -- thanks for validating me and my ravenous hunger. :)

And Claire -- thanks for the offer, but I kind harbor some ethical/moral issues with cleanflicks films. Oh well...I don't mind being intrigued by a movie I won't let myself see -- life gets pretty uninteresting if I leave myself with no "element of unknown-ness." But really, thanks for offering!

Nemesis said...

Claire, I have no such compunctions. I have an edited VHS copy of Amelie that I was going to offer Lindsay, but can your sister get the DVD by any chance? I know it's not my birthday or anything, but it's worth a shot! :-)

Also, Happy Birthday, Lindsay! Sounds like it was wonderful!