Tuesday, January 30, 2007

In case you've never taught from the Young Women manual...

...let me just say that the lessons are seriously outdated. No offence to our inspired leaders in Salt Lake, who I'm sure are at this moment working on revamping them, but it just doesn't seem right to teach these lessons - with their antiquated stories and examples - to young women who deal with challenges which are far more weighty. So in our ward, we basically take the title of the lesson, the lesson objective, and (because they are more recent and usually much more applicable) the suggested talks/Ensign articles in the Young Women Resource Guide and plan lessons of our own making that we feel would better suit the needs of our girls.

This Sunday I am teaching all the young women, and I'm wondering if I can solicit from you some suggestions as to possible lesson progression and/or elements, object lessons, appropriate scriptures and stories, etc. Don't think, though, that by asking for help, that I'm not doing my own part of the planning. I am vigorously hard at work here. But I'm still very new to the young women organization and I could use some ideas. So, if you have any, I welcome your thoughts.

The lesson is entitled "Home Environment," and the objective is "Each young woman will strive to create a home environment where the Spirit of the Lord can dwell." It's a good topic, I think, and the lesson does make a few good points, but again, if you have any thoughts/ideas along these lines -- please, if you would, send them this way.

Thanks! You guys are the BEST!

Update: Blogger is apparently having some issues and won't let me comment, so I'll say it here: Thank you to everyone who gave suggestions...I'm working to put them to good use.

4 comments:

AmyJane said...

Yeah...the last bunch of lessons in last year's manual weren't too bad, and the first three were fine. But, getting into the whole issue of whether you will be a homemaker or a rocket scientist is tricky for me. I can't tell you how many times I have already told those girls that life can take SO many different paths and that not everyone goes to Rick's and get's married and has ten kids in ten years. I usually just pick and choose the parts of the lessons that work (like scripture stuff) and then insert my own preferred examples and stories. Besides, the girls want to talk anyway, so I make them talk about the lesson and share their own examples.

Anonymous said...

Hi Linsday!

No freakage on my part for you liking my blog. I'm flattered. Let's be friends. :)

erin said...

Ask them if there's anything that they do in their own home that helps them to feel the spirit. Their parents probably do things that the girls haven't thought about; give them some time to think about those things.

Sarah said...

Sorry - I don't have any specific advice for your lesson, but I do have to agree with you about the lessons being far too topical for the girls needs and it's important for leaders to really teach by the spirit and go into greater detail.

I sat in on a Beehive class last year and the teacher mentioned abortion. Not one of the our Los Angeles 12 & 13 year olds knew what it was. Their innocence was sweet and scary at the same time. Especially since we were pretty sure a few of the older girls in the ward were sexually active.

It's so hard to know how much of their innocence to invade on and what is our responsibility versus their parents'!