When we woke up this morning, our local NPR news guy told us that it was 10 degrees outside with a wind chill of -3. This does not sit well. Neither, for that matter, does the ice that formed on the INSIDE of our window during the night. It hasn’t warmed up much yet, and now it’s snowing again. I know our winter was late in coming, and I probably have no right to complain, but can I still publicly ask just when it’s going to warm up?
***
Late last fall, CBS brought some camera crews to town to film some second-rate actors as they trained to be full-fledged officers in the Muncie Police Department, and then followed them around as they hit the streets of Muncie chasing down criminals and pulling over drivers going the wrong way down one-way streets. It was basically Muncie’s own version of COPS, only this was called Armed and Famous. It began airing on Wednesday nights earlier this month, and though I never watched an episode (the rabbit ears on our television aren’t willing to share CBS with us), I heard more than I ever wanted to about it in office conversations and in the local paper (because coverage of the show seriously took over the newspaper).
Though Muncie-ites still liked to tune in to see if any of their friends were getting arrested by a celebrity, the whole show, from what I was told, was a joke from the beginning. It certainly didn’t make Muncie look like a decent place to live. So if you've never heard of it, or just never tuned in, you weren’t missing much. And for those of you who did – well, there’s nothing I can do at the point to make up for your lost intellect. But the good news is, the show was cancelled over the weekend. Apparently they couldn’t compete against the likes of American Idol. (Which, in and of itself, begs many, many questions.)
***
I’m sure that most of you are aware that the Super Bowl is this Sunday. And I’m sure that quite a few of you are also keyed into the fact that it will be a face-off between the Bears and the Colts. I’m not sure, however, how many of you know that the Colts are based in Indianapolis. And I don’t know how many of you truly understand what kind of havoc is caused when “the home team” is good enough to play in the Super Bowl.
Well, let me tell you – it isn’t pretty. I am not a football fan, and do not plan to watch the Super Bowl, even if only for the commercials. I don’t truly understand what causes people to be willing to pay $6,000 for a ticket to the game, I don’t relate to the sea of blue jersey-wearing fanatics who have taken over the city, and I don’t let this crazed local excitement creep into every conversation I have. But maybe that’s just me.
But I’m left wondering: If this is what it’s like if “the home team” qualifies to play in the Super Bowl, what will happen if win on Sunday? Yikes….I don’t like to think about it.
2 comments:
Oh, come on!
It's not often a home team goes to the Super Bowl. There is nothing quite like bonding with the community than by displaying your Indiana blue pride. Maybe this is because I grew up watching football with my Dad. I will be watching the game AND I will root for you. I think Peyton Manning is great. (Don't tell Pittsburgh).
Last year I wore black and gold to church every week of the playoffs. Call it heresy. I love the game.
Sarah - To each his own, eh? I guess I just don't understand "football love." My mom once told me and my siblings that because we never had a dog growing up, like she did, we really didn't understand "dog love." I suppose maybe this is something similar and I just don't get it. But hey -- if you do, more power to you. :)
Post a Comment