This has been one of my favorite movies since I saw it on PBS a long, long time ago. I had tried to get my hands on a copy a few years ago, but apparently because it was only being distributed to libraries, it was far too expensive for my meager income. I guess, though, that since then, it's been distributed more widely (and more inexpensively).So Blake and I sat on the couch and while our French dinner of Quiche Lorraine cooked in the oven, we were taken away to the harsh French countryside made beautiful by the tree-planting efforts of one solitary, generous man. It was perfect.
Only when it was over, Blake said he had more. More? I thought. What could top this? And then he pulled out the DVD cover. Turns out he got me this: A DVD with 9 animated short films by Frederic Back, the animator responsible for The Man Who Planted Trees. We watched another one of his Academy Award winning films called Crac!, a cute tale about rocking chair, done in the same beautiful colored animation. It was wonderful, and, Blake -- I couldn't have been more surprised or pleased! I think we should visit "France" more often.
Aside from the France theme, the rest of my birthday seemed to be as much for the baby as for me. My family sent two nice informative books on pregnancy/baby stuff, The Cheerios Play Book with an accompanying Cheerios-shaped Cheerios holder (a staple in my family), and some long-coveted ABC magnets. They also sent me a little pack of monogrammed stationery which I'm excited to use.
So, it was a great day. Thank you to everyone who helped to make it so!! If any of you wants to make the trek to Muncie to help us eat the rest of the cherry chip cake, feel free...there's plenty leftover to go around.
2 comments:
Hee. I have "The Pregnancy Bible." My husband took an interest and started flipping through one day and was a bit alarmed by the naked lady pictures. He has since learned that pregnancy/childbirth is not a very modest experience!
Yeah...Blake was a little alarmed too as he watched me thumb through it last night. But I'm already getting a little taste of the "immodesty" of pregnancy, and I can only imagine that it will get more intense with the childbirth portion. Oh well -- there's no going back now! :)
Post a Comment