
The Annotated Charlotte's Web
by E. B. White
with introduction and notes by Peter F. Neumeyer
I have never had so much fun re-reading the children's classic I first plowed through as a second-grader. This story of friendship, of the pastoral beauty of the farm, of miracles and salvation, and of the circle of birth, life, and death is only made more beautiful and more striking by the comments poignantly and intelligently made by Neumeyer. His annotations allow readers to "obtain insights into the craftsmanship of a highly conscious and self-aware artist, and gain an appreciation for the difficulties of writing beautiful prose fiction."
E. B. White is my kind of writer. His "sense of style [is] demanding." He went to great lengths to see that no paragraph, no sentence, no word, no minute piece of punctuation was wasted. And just like his words, every character, too, was molded with great care and precision. How fun it was to sneak a peek into the world of White's drafts and revisions, to read his notes and see his sketches, to be witness to his writing process. It was refreshingly pleasant to see that my own painstaking way of writing is in very good company.
And speaking of writing, reading this book rekindled that desire deep inside me to write and publish for children. Not an easy task, and certainly not one to be taken lightly. An accomplished author in the adult world, White obviously also excelled at writing for young readers. He once wrote that, "anyone who writes down to children is simply wasting his time. You have to write up, not down. Children are demanding. They are the most attentive, curious, eager, observant, sensitive, quick, and generally congenial readers on earth. They accept, almost without question, anything you present them with, as long it is presented honestly, fearlessly, and clearly." With a focus like this, White (and, it could also be said, Charlotte, his literary spider) is certainly one whose example I'd like to emulate.
I will be honest: I cried while reading again this story of a pig and a spider. What a triumph it is -- for White, for Wilber, for Charlotte. While simple in appearance, the tale is instead deeply profound and moving. It truly was White's magnum opus. It truly was "terrific."

E. B. White is my kind of writer. His "sense of style [is] demanding." He went to great lengths to see that no paragraph, no sentence, no word, no minute piece of punctuation was wasted. And just like his words, every character, too, was molded with great care and precision. How fun it was to sneak a peek into the world of White's drafts and revisions, to read his notes and see his sketches, to be witness to his writing process. It was refreshingly pleasant to see that my own painstaking way of writing is in very good company.
And speaking of writing, reading this book rekindled that desire deep inside me to write and publish for children. Not an easy task, and certainly not one to be taken lightly. An accomplished author in the adult world, White obviously also excelled at writing for young readers. He once wrote that, "anyone who writes down to children is simply wasting his time. You have to write up, not down. Children are demanding. They are the most attentive, curious, eager, observant, sensitive, quick, and generally congenial readers on earth. They accept, almost without question, anything you present them with, as long it is presented honestly, fearlessly, and clearly." With a focus like this, White (and, it could also be said, Charlotte, his literary spider) is certainly one whose example I'd like to emulate.
I will be honest: I cried while reading again this story of a pig and a spider. What a triumph it is -- for White, for Wilber, for Charlotte. While simple in appearance, the tale is instead deeply profound and moving. It truly was White's magnum opus. It truly was "terrific."

"Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both."
-- final paragraph in Charlotte's Web
-- final paragraph in Charlotte's Web
5 comments:
I need to read this. I LOVE Charolette's Web.
We were given an Annotated Alice in Wonderland, and I could not get through it all. I just kept thinking 'Lewis Carrol had to have been on something when writing this book.' It sort of turned me off to "annotated" books. But I'll give this one a go.
I also had a really hard time getting through "The Annotated Alice." This one, though, is SO much better. Definitely track yourself down a copy. You won't be sorry.
My first distinct memory of libraries was when I checked out Charlotte's Web and didn't finish it when it was due. I sobbed and sobbed while my mom tried to explain the concept of renewing a book, then took comfort when I was able to actually leave with the book. Such a treasure that book is.
If my mom, who was the person kind enough to send me this book as a birthday present, suddenly evolved from a Blog Reader Only to a Blog Reader-and-Commenter, she would have said here that nice, coffee table-sized copies of this book are still available on the bargain rack at Borders for only $5.99. So I guess that your excuses for not reading this fabulous book are growing fewer. :)
I love Charlotte's Web! I just realized we don't have a copy in the house. I think this will be on my "to buy" list.
Post a Comment