Tuesday, April 01, 2008

snot nosed children

I have never enjoyed witnessing the runny nosed side of childhood. Drool? Meh. It's part of babyhood. Spit up? Just an annoyance. Poopy diapers? Smelly, yet surprisingly manageable. But a waterfall of sticky, mucousy snot cascading out of the nose (and into the mouth) of an otherwise adorable child? I'm sorry, but that's just downright disgusting. I could never understand why mothers didn't exert more effort to keep their darling's noses clean.

Only now I'm seeing things from their point of view. And boy do I feel their pain. The change in seasons has turned a faucet on somewhere inside of Garrett and no matter how many times I wipe his face, I can't seem to shut it off. It's gross. And it gets everywhere: his cheeks, his hands, his hair...me. Add to this mucous fountain the sneezes, coughs, and screaming involved in the cleaning up after them, and it's almost more than I can keep up with. No matter how hard I tried, his little post-bath body stayed squeaky clean for all of three seconds. It's exhausting!

Ah, springtime.

(Or maybe that should be Ahhhh-choooo!! [sniff, sniff]. Springtime.)

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Ha.Ha. I felt the same way and then understood when Kiara got her first bad cold. When she is teething she gets snotty too. Isn't it a joy. :)

Katie said...

I swore I would never let my kids be snotty-nosed, either! Then one day I found myself at the grocery store with 2 snotty nosed kids. Not only were they snotty nosed, Jackson was barefoot because he absolutely refused to wear shoes.

Ahem. I never say never anymore where my children are concerned!

Nancy said...

I kind of expected a picture???

Lindsay said...

Nancy - I thought I'd spare you all and post this one sans photo. Believe me: it's better this way.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is... yep.

heath said...

Oh man, what I have to look forward to!

Jessica said...

Ha ha, oh what I have to look forward to. My favorite part was "mucous fountain."