Take this sign in my neighborhood, for example. It's not a punctuation mistake, but rather one from its close relative, spelling:
While launder does mean "to wash clothes," I'm pretty sure they meant Laundromat. Every time I pass by this little laundry facility, I can't help but wonder if it's actually a money laundering joint using washers and dryers as a cover up. I mean, this is Brooklyn, the city where some friends of ours spent a period of time renting an apartment over a funeral home from members of the Italian mafia who were apparently using said funeral home as a cover up for a few questionable activities of their own, if you catch my drift.
In all likelihood, though, this Laundromat's probably just owned and operated by immigrants who were still learning English at the time this sign was made. But it's still fun to wonder, don't you think?
Just as poor punctuation is fun to poke fun at, good punctuation is fun to praise. Not too long ago, the NYC Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) started running an anti-littering ad on the city's subways and buses. It read:
Bad news!It doesn't matter what paper you read, its language or viewpoints.
Please put it in the trash can; that's good news for everyone.
The clever use of of the semicolon in this ad was noticed by the New York Times, which ran a fantastic article praising that minute piece of punctuation and the MTA employee who penned it. According to the article:
Semicolon sightings in the city are unusual, period, much less in exhortations drafted by committees of civil servants. In literature and journalism, not to mention in advertising, the semicolon has been largely jettisoned as a pretentious anachronism.
So it really should be no wonder why the stickler in me smiles smugly to myself every time I see the ad.
And speaking of grammar, last night I received a much-anticipated phone call from my brother with post-ultrasound news. We now know that their baby will be addressed by the pronouns he and him. While I'd have been thrilled for them no matter what the gender, I have to admit I'm pretty excited that Garrett's first-ever cousin will be a little boy. They can be buddies!
13 comments:
Hi Lindsay
Kimberlie invited me to your blog. I enjoyed today's entry. Just wanted to share our experience with predicted arrivals. Our daughter, Anna, had her 4th child on March 27. She was named Maggie after two solid confirmations by the ultrasound techs. Name change came after much deliberation after
doc announced "It's a boy!" All are happy about it now, but 3 year-old Natalie had an emotional meltdown at first as she is the only girl. All new girl clothes had to go and slightly used boy clothes had to be quickly made ready. It is nice to have these experiences so we never forget who is really in charge.
Have a great day.
Mary Kaye Lyon
Funny. Have you ever visited engrish.com? That's worth a few good laughs.
Is it bad that part of me cringes that you read my blog? Sure, it's not the worst example of grammar and spelling (me spels gud), but I definitely forgot some rules in there. :)
Oh Kristeee (and anyone else this may affect), I'm not THAT big of a stickler. I make PLENTY of my own grammatical mistakes, here and elsewhere, believe me. So please don't cringe. I love reading your blog!
And Mary Kaye -- welcome! Yeah, I've heard of those gender miscalculations. According to my brother, their baby decided to make it quite obvious that he was not a she. I guess, though, that we'll know for sure in a few more months.
I loved the Lynn Truss book. So funny. I am a stickler but also a slight over-user of a lot of punctuation. Especially in informal settings, such as my blog.
I recently checked out the picture book she has with the same title. My girls, especially Shaylie, thought it was very clever.
I read your blog earlier today then spent half an hour at the doctor staring at a sign on the wall with one of the worst semicolon uses I've ever seen. It read, "In order to allow the doctor on call to focus on patients with emergency needs; no prescriptions will be refilled on evenings, on weekends or on holidays." I thought it was so funny! I do love grammar.
I read that hilaroious book back in the day when I was toying with the idea of becoming a linguist ...
And I definately avoid the semicolon at all costs ...
Congrats to Tyler!
Congrats to Tyler! That's way exciting! Everyone's been asking me lately if I'm pregnant. It's actually quite depressing. Not because I'm trying and want to be pregnant. But because I've gained enough weight for people to ask that dreadful question. But, it'll be a little while before David and I contribute to Garrett's cute cousins. So, I'm glad Tyler and Amanda are up to the task!
As for your grammar humor, I love laughing at those things too. I get it everyweek on my kid's treatment team letters. They have some of the funniest ways of spelling words! Of course, those aren't signs. But they are people that may one day make those signs. Smile!
Hey Lindsay,
Hear, hear! I have to agree with you that typos and grammatical errors can be rather humorous; however, there are some out there that just grate on my nerves. Specifically the one on the sign just outside the police station in Rexburg, Idaho. I don't remember what the sign said, but the glaring mistake read "alot" (instead of "a lot") just made me want to cry!
Hey, Lindsay! Great post. My particular grammatical pet peeve is when people use an apostrophe when referring to a family in the plural. Like "the Smith's." What's with that? Also, the misspelling of the word "definitely." I swear that's the most misspelled word on the Internet.
Congrats to Tyler and Amanda!
Congrats to Tyler!
I have to admit, I stink in the punctuation and spelling arena. I also overuse my semicolon all the time!!! I agree that so many errors can be so funny! I also tend to lean toward Mark Twains views on “formalized” spelling and such…
“I don't [care] for a man that can only spell a word one way.”
At least to a point… not quite as much as he hated it.
I think this way more because I’m kind of lazy when it comes to spelling and punctuation. It can add personality…even if just for a good laugh!
Julie!! You commented! That makes me so happy! I hope you and Sofia are doing well and I definitely hope you'll comment again. :)
Loved the book, Lindsay. Thanks for the recommendation. I was happy to see that I remember most of the rules of punctuation...but, I may not follow them all!
I'll have to keep looking for signs in Rochester. So far I haven't found one that's as funny as yours.
I had a teacher in HS that collected signs with spelling and grammatical errors. Students used to steal them and bring them to class for him. I think my favorite was the grocery store's "angle food cake" which my teacher brought to the checkout and asked about.
Julie, I actually have a really hard time with definitely. I have spelled it definately many times. I also hope you and Sofia are well :)
Post a Comment