Thursday, April 10, 2008

peek-a-boo

My blog turned 2 this week and to celebrate I thought we'd play a little party game. It's called Peek-a-Boo. Here's how you play:

If you read this post and, in a larger sense, this blog, please leave a comment. That's it. Simple, right?

This way I can keep at bay my urge to turn my blog private (which, you should know, I've been seriously considering lately) while still generally getting a pretty good sense of who my regular readers are. (So, yes, infrequent commenters/lurkers -- it's time to come out. Don't worry; I won't bite. In fact, I'd love to hear from you.) I'd like to keep my blog public, but would feel safer doing so if those who were reading chimed in every once in a while.

If you're not sure what you would say in your comment, here are a few ideas:
  • Wish my blog a happy 2nd birthday
  • Tell me how you found the blog
  • Share why you keep reading the blog
  • Confirm once more how adorable you think my baby is (because you know I totally eat that up)
  • Tell me why I should keep the blog public
  • Tell me why I should switch the blog to private

So, Peek-a-Boo. It'll be fun. Here, Garrett and I will start:



( Feel free to ignore my obnoxious, high-pitched baby voice. Oh, and pardon Garrett for that fabulous burp he lets out.)

67 comments:

KaLee said...

I thought this article (http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695263641,00.html) was interesting. And as for going private--please don't! I just don't have enough time in my day to check private blogs individually, since Reader won't do it. :)

Sarah Kay said...

Yo! Thanks for the GF book! And I plan to visit NYC in late summer/fall. Don't let me forget.

Erin Bigler said...

Oh Lindsay, happy second blog birthday! I really enjoy reading everything you write. I wanted to weigh in on the immunizations debate but am actually on the fence and couldn't really think of a good reason to defend either "side." Two of my nieces have gotten measles from their live vaccines. That freaked me out. But, my husband is in the Army so there's a chance that my family won't always live here in the relatively safe US of A. So we went ahead and got the shots "just in case..." Technically, you found my blog and I just decided to respond in kind. I DO think Garrett is adorable. Very very cute baby. I love that he has your complexion. I'm digging the milk-white creamy skin look these days. How could I not? My children are all so pale they're actually see-through. :) Asher has that red and white striped shirt too. Gotta love Oshkosh. I wouldn't mind a bit if your blog went private...just as long as you let me in!

Disco Mom said...

hey there, peekaboo. loved chatting today at the park - i'm inspired to get started on a little something around here, including a new blog series on the moving process - should be totally thrilling to read.

Lyndsie Miles said...

Boo! Here I am! You know me... and I love you blog! Public or private does matter, as long as you include me so I can keep viewing how cute Garrett is!

Wendy said...

Happy Blog Birthday! I love your blog and getting to watch adorable Garrett grow and change.

FoxyJ said...

Boo! I don't remember how I found your blog--friends of friends (and now we know friends of relatives). Anyways, I love your blog and enjoy reading it. Happy second blog day!

I have a hard time keeping up on my friends that are private, but I can understand why people do it. Do you use sitemeter to monitor who's looking and what they are looking at?

Emily said...

Hi Lindsay! I do so love reading your blog because you always have something fresh and creative to say. I love your writing style! That, and I usually blog with a baby on my lap and one of the only ways I keep him happy is to watch videos of other babies - and Garrett is adorable! I've been seriously considering going private myself. It's just not a safe world (terrible understatement, I know), and you never know who could be reading. Not to freak you out, since I'm sure that's why you're considering it. Good luck with your decision!

Janetta said...

Initially, I read because you found me, and I'm so glad you did, too! I think we have so much in common, and I wish I knew that back at PHS. Ultimately, my favorite reason to read you is that I never get distracted by poor word choice, bad grammar or too many exclamation points. (Bless you). You are insightful and creative and you articulately represent your views. (I too, am in love with Eats, Shoots and Leaves, which I re-read often. One of my favorite parts is paraphrased here: 'I think I actually donned my smoking jacket when I responded to the infantile pen pal from America . . .’). Anyway, please let me keep reading if you go private, (which I have loved doing, actually), and keep me posted about your manuscript, and I will reciprocate.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

If I remember correctly, you found my blog, started leaving great comments, and I in turn started reading yours. I keep reading because you're fabulous, your baby's cute, and I can relate to almost everything you post. I'm fairly anti-private blogging, but I understand why. It just makes it more inconvenient, and I guess I'm just not a paranoid person.

Anonymous said...

I wish there was a way to put private blogs on RSS feed, but I guess that's what makes it private. I think I'd read you anyway even if you did do it. I probably wouldn't read as much, though.

Nancy said...

It's because of creative people like you that I started a blog... Keep it up and by the way, Garrett is adorable, even when he burps!

Krysta said...

Like a previous poster, I am not much of a paranoid person, either, so I have kept mine public. I debate the issue of going private every now and then, but since I only blog for myself, and am not out there trying to find readers, I don't think a lot of people stumble upon me anyway. And I like it when an old friend finds me. Either way, I will still read you, whatever your decision. And Happy Blog Birthday, too!

Sara said...

Happy Birthday! I should find out when mine is...sometime this summer. Hope you continue to keep your blog public...I LOVE reading your writing. And it's nice to think you're my blog-friend. :)

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Comment: Baby is cute. etc. etc.

Humorous story: I checked my site stats and kept seeing this one that came like twice a day. Finally I noticed they actually were logging into my blog (with the password!!) I kinda freaked and changed the password. Then, I remembered that I had cleared the cookies on my computer and it was actually tracking my visits again. I amaze myself sometimes with my intelligence (but, in my defense, it was listing a different city than where I actually am...)!

mcampbell said...

As your blog is my only real access to your world, I just want to say that I better be a part of it, public or private. Can't live without my Lindsay!

Look at you at two years. I'm totally impressed. Love and love.

And Garret is adorable. Yup.

Tianna said...

Hi! Pick me. I vote... public!

Love and miss you!

Launi said...

fine, fine, i'll come out already! hi lindsay, i found your blog through emily roundy's a while ago and noticed that garrett is one day older than my baby, alex. i thought it was fun to watch a baby similar in age to my own grow and listen to your experiences. and i've enjoyed your writing a lot as well, so i kept coming. happy 2 to your blog! don't go private. :)

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Love the blog, love the baby, love the writing. Happy Birthday! About the public/private--do what you want! Although, it would be a shame if some missed out on your fabulous writing because it was private. I will be a reader regardless.

heath said...

You know I read your blog faithfully. That's all I have to say.

Davey said...

Hi Lindsay, I read but I don't get to comment often because Sophia thinks it's highly selfish of me to tap tap tap ALONE on the computer when she could be joining in with some bang bang banging! :) But also, meant to tell you I found a neighbor who has the small formula cans so we can make my homemade toy as soon as she uses a couple of them up. We need tops to the baby food jars and then you'll just LOVE this toy. My nephews spent hours on this freeeeeeeeeee, simple toy!

Jessica said...

If you make your blog private make sure I have rights to read it!

AmyJane said...

Still here, and still waging the same public/private debate with myself. The thing that's keeping me from doing it most is all the new friends (like you) I've made, and all the old friends I've reconnected with this way. It's a tough call though!

Heather said...

I love reading your blog...you make everyday life seem so exciting. Plus you love to write & read, two of my favorite things in the world. To top it all off you live in my favorite city on the planet AND you have an adorable baby. If you go private, please let me still read. I'm so glad I found your blog through my marvelous cousin, Katie :)

Hart Troop said...

Happy 2nd Birthday Lindsay's Blog! Well, whether you go private or public, I sure hope that I still have access to it. I LOVE READING YOUR BLOG....which you already know but it is fun to hear it again. I was inspired by you and began blogging again. You are such an amazing girl! Thanks for sharing parts of your life with our family....it is so fun to see your family grow.

Love ya!

The Adams Family said...

I love reading your blog. It is so fun to hear about all of your life adventures. I am sorry I haven't left a comment before now. I will work harder at that. It has been nice to get to know some of Michael's friends, even if it is just from blogging.
Kim

Amy said...

infrequent commenter here... saying happy birthday!!!

Mallory said...

Happy 2 year blog birthday to you. As for the public/private issue, I'm conflicted as well. So far public has won out of convenience. If you decide to go private, pretty please invite me. I love reading what you have to say and also seeing what adorable Garrett is up to.

Eric said...

Happy blog birthday! I think you know a few of the reasons that I read your blog. (1) It's my only contact with my cutest nephew since he seems to avoid talking to me on the phone. (2) I love reading about your experiences (and Blake's), especially since you write them so well. And (3) I need something to get me away from all my schoolwork. Yes, that's right, you are my escape from the real world of school. Thanks for being such a good blogger!

Leisa said...

Hi Lindsay-
I guess I'm a lurker, but I love the pictures and stories. Hopefully we'll be able to get together this summer sometime.

Scrappy said...

•Happy 2nd birthday, Lindsay’s blog!
•I found you through my sister, mommyofthree.
•I keep reading because you are a great writer and you have an adorable baby.
•You have an adorable baby. (Yeah, I said it twice!)
•You should stay public so I can keep reading.
•You should go private because you have a feeling you should (and I will just make mommyofthree beg you to send me an invite).

Jennifer said...

My cousin Kimberlie linked to you in one of her blog entries and I've been reading yours ever since. I don't know you, but I think you're a incredible writer and I get inspired with how you are taking advantage of all your city has to offer. I also love your reading lists. So my vote is keep it public so other people can be inspired.

AnnP said...

I found your blog through Samantha's blog. I like to read what you write because we seem to have a lot in common - we both went to the Y, majored in history, recently moved to a new city, and have babies pretty much the same age. Having a baby while living in a new city sometimes makes me feel very isolated. It is nice to read how someone else is dealing with the same issues.

I am terrible about posting comments. I need to be better about it. I know how much I LOVE to read the comments that others write on my blog. I am sure that you feel the same. How have you managed to get so many readers?

Whether you go public is a tough decision, but I have gotten a lot out of reading your blog and I wouldn't have that opportunity if you had been private.

Kellee said...

Happy Birthday Lindsays blog!! I stumbled across your blog one day while I was at work clicking the "next blog" button at the top of the page and my obsession started!! Your family is adorable!

Lizardbreath McGee said...

Wooow. Lots and lots of people think you're cool. And that Garrett is adorable.

And so do I.

Happy birthday, blog friend. (I'm pretty sure I found you through our mutual friend Becca, btw.)

Also, if you'd feel more comfortable making your blog private, that's totally okay. As long as I'm invited to view it. :)

erin said...

How funny. On my last blog birthday, I invited people to do this (I think you were the inspiration), but I only got like 20 comments, and I know more people read my blog than that. Anyway, happy second birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy blog birthday! We love hearing about you and Blake and seeing Garrett!

JoEllen said...

I am somewhat anti-private blog, as others have stated, just because of the inconvience. I too agree that you're a great write. I love checking in with you to see what your cute little family has been up to. I enjoy your writing style and i enjoy all those videos of Garrett!! I hope you stay public, but I totally understand if you don't. If you make that free toy someone posted about, I hope you show us how too!

goddessdivine said...

Wow. Look at all the fans you have!

Lyndsay, you're awesome. You are very interesting and very gifted at writing. Oh, and your kid is cute, too.

I'm a fan of the private thing, for obvious reasons; but I am itching to go public again because I miss meeting new people. I would say that you definitely would want to go private down the road, since this has your family on it. My SIL made her family one private because her kids are entering school and she just wants to avoid any 'issues'. You could do a public and a private.....

Mel said...

Here's something funny: Most of the time I don't comment b/c I'm lazy. But when I do try to comment on yours at least 7 other people have said the same exact thing that I was going to say. So why bother? You've already heard it. And then I think, "Dang. Lindsay has way more internet friends then I do." And for good reason. As everyone else has said, you are a great writer. And I must say l like using you're site to find old Southridge friends (on whose blogs I also never comment so they have no idea that I know they are still alive.)

PS--You are the 3rd or 4th blog (on my list) this week saying are going private. Is that a coincidence or are weird things happening at Blogspot.

Wendy said...

I love following your adventures.
Mrs. Hickman :o)

Kristie said...

41 (now 42) comments - you're one popular gal - or maybe it's the rush to gush over that sweet looking baby! I'm lucky to get 2 - maybe I need to meet some of your friend:-)

Lance and Kristi said...

I found your blog through your mom (I think..) Anyway, I enjoy reading about your fun experiences and adventures with your family.

Private or Public? Totally up to you. As long as I am invited, I am happy either way.

Oh yeah...your little guy is sure adorable.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lindsay - Happy 2nd b-day blog. I really enjoy reading your stories - you are such a great writer and it is nice to be able to keep up on Garrett. All of here at BSU are so glad that you and Blake are doing well in the Big City!

Krista (remember me?)
CA 201

Desmama said...

I read I read I read your blog! And I love it! I, too, have been revisiting the debate to go private as well, so I'll be interested to see what your conclusions are about it. And Garrett is so cute. And I'm not just saying that.

MidCityGal said...

Lindsay, I found your blog through my sister's (DesMama). I like reading what you have to say because what you write is very well thought out and well written. I also really appreciate your writing style-- you are extremely talented.

Moreover, I like watching your adventures in motherhood-- my baby is just about 6 months younger than your cute Garrett and so I kind of watch what you do and then get to experience it myself later. Thanks for being the one who goes ahead! You are so candid and sincere, at least it seems that way (since we've never met, I don't know for sure). But, I like to consider you a friend.

The decision to go private is a very personal one. I don't blame you for considering it. I like being public because I can meet new people and catch up with old friends-- though I hope that using a pseudonym helps me maintain some anonymity. We'll see what the future holds. Whatever you decide is absolutely fine.

Laura said...

Happy blog birthday! We like keeping up with the funny couple we had some pretty pleasant meetings with back in Muncie. I'm pretty sure that we heard of your blog when proud papa Blake was showing Frank pics of newly-born Garrett. Who is just the cutest, btw. And your writing just makes it so easy to come back to see how you're all doing!

Rashel said...

Hi Lindsay,

I found your blog through Janetta's and was pretty excited to find someone else from high school's blog. I really enjoy reading, especially since you update so regularly. Since I read you regularly, I guess it is only fair to invite you to rad mine. It is fairly new, so only a few posts, but my blog is fioruccifam.blogspot.com.

-Rashel (Rasmussen) Fiorucci

Claire said...

Happy 2 year to your blog and your baby is very adorable as well. I am Mallory's sister and just check in on your blog every once in a while- i really enjoy your writing.

Sara said...

I've been trying to figure out how I found your blog...and I've come to realization that you found me first! ;)

Unknown said...

wow...not much else to comment on. Happy Blog Bday!

Dave said...

Happy birthday to the best blog I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading, and to its creator. What a fun experience it has been to visit your world. I love it!

Here is an interesting perspective to share with you on public and private issues. When I visited your fair city last year to attend the Idea 2007 conference I had the opportunity to be introduced to Hasan Elahi (http://elahi.org/) and hear his story. To solve a problem with a certain security organization’s mix-up he decided to make his life extremely public. They wanted to know where he had been, with whom, on certain dates, etc. He reflects that he was very fortunate to of had his Palm Pilot with him during his first of many encounters with them, and rather than resist their queries he answered every question they had…with details. This experience inspired him to create his web-site; a twenty-four hour a day watch me site. Anyone can see where he is, what he eats, what he is doing, what he has done, where he has been, who he is with, and on and on. You might call it data overload. In a way it gave him his privacy back.

nateandrebecca said...

Wow. Looks like you are definitely have lots of readers...a lot more than we have on our blog! Happy birthday to your blog, yes, Garret is cute, and I definitely read your blog whenever I can. :)

Jenny P. said...

Okay, so you know I read cause I post comments all the time... but I'll wish you a happy blog birthday anyway!

Public or private? Well, I found you because you were public... and I certainly value the interactions that we have had and the friendship that we are building...

I've struggled with the issue on my blog as well... I found a balance by keeping any identifying, personal things private, but keeping other things public. So, you can come to my blog and see pictures of my kids, and know first names, but unless you know me, you aren't going to know more than that. That's tough for you becuase so much of your writing is centered around the adventure of living in a big city, but with out a last name... I would say you are okay.

The internet world can be scary, that is for sure. But it helps to be aware, which I think you are!

OH, and that baby is adorable. SO, SO cute!

Claudia said...

Happy 2nd Birthday "Adventures with Lindsay" I have not been reading you that long but since day one I've loved your stories, pictures, videos, opinions and everything else ...

Even though my blog is written in Spanish I still have you listed on "mis blogs amigos". I read you periodically even if I don't leave a message on everyone of them.

I hope you add me on your list if you go private ... it doesn't matter to me if you keep it public or private ... besides is your blog ... you can do whatever you want to do with it!! ;) As long as I am able to keep reading!!

Alison said...

My boy Zach (he's 2 1/2) loves watching your videos of Garrett! And I enjoy your variety and gramatically concise voice. It's nice knowing what my former roommate is up to.

Sorry I don't comment as much as I read. Your gramatically concise voice rather intimidates me.

If you choose privacy...can I still come?

Anonymous said...

This is your oldest cousin on the Nay side. Grandma introduced me to your blog and frequently asks me if I read your adventures. I am constantly consumed in books so I do not frequently find myself her but I do so love to see your little boy growing up.

If you choose to make your site private I would love the priviledge of continuing to read.

4,
Christi

Carrie said...

Wow, will you get to this comment. I found your blog...I don't remember how. You probably sent out the address to all your friends. If you go private just let me in! Love ya, Garrett is cute.

Wright Family said...

Wow have you hit record yet for the most comments ever left on one post? It doesn't look like we'll be coming to NY this summer but soon I hope we are going to Boston this month instead for busy and I get to tag along. I love your blog I miss having you around here to hang out so I love how you make all your readers feel like we are right there with you.

Anonymous said...

How could I ever stay away from your blog! It's one of my favorite sources of knowing what is going on in your lives -- and with the most beautiful grand-baby in the universe! It's also let me get to know you so much better and to love you. Grandma Joyce

Kristeee said...

Garrett's so fun! It makes me want to come and play with him!

If I remember right, you found my blog through AmyJane's, and I've been glad ever since that you did!

Going private doesn't delete all the cached copies of your blog, as far as I know. If someone really wanted to find you even after you went private, I bet they still could. Just saying. Once something's published on the www, it's oh-so-very hard to take it off.

Emily said...

My goodness! Are you really going to read all of these? And how did you get so popular? And what will going private mean? And what is this feed thing that everyone keeps talking about? Because I don't think I have it and maybe I should...

So I found your blog when we moved into the same ward in Scary NYC and became good friends. We should say "mates" b/c that's more British and more cool. It's also b/c of you that Adam and I are seriously considering naming our baby "Charlie" so we can say it in British accents.

Oh, and Adam reads your wonderful blog, too.

lori said...

Can I be fashionably late on a blog? Probably not. But I'm here! I love your blog! Keep up the great writing, friend!!

Claire said...

Lindsay, late comment but I love reading your clever blog. I have no doubt Google will figure out some way you can just log in once on Reader for all the private blogs you read, although it is annoying for now that they haven't done that yet. I totally understand your fears, though.
-Claire

jeanine said...

Look at you Miss Popular! I love reading your blog!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday. I love reading your adventures in NY! And girl with all these comments you really should have some ads on here to make you a little extra cash. I'm sure no one would mind. :)

Kristin said...

Hi. I'm a lurker that stops by now and then. I found you from a link from Kristie's blog. I love public blogs - it's so fun to peek in on people's lives, and connect with others with similar issues and ideas. I'm glad you've decided to stay public. It gives me a bit of courage to stay public myself! Feel free to stop by:

http://www.krisandco.blogspot.com/