Friday, April 04, 2008

the last few days at our house

Has it really only been a few days since I last posted? Because it sure feels like it’s been a lot longer. Here’s how they’ve stacked up at our house:

*Sometime on Wednesday, Garrett’s runny nose decided to take on the unfortunate side effect of a raging temperature. During that sleepless night it peaked at around 104.3. Blake gave him a Priesthood blessing, but by morning, it hadn’t gone down much. His congestion was making it hard for him to breathe, not to mention making his sweet voice sadly squeaky, so I made an appointment for him to see the doctor.

*He woke up Thursday morning burning hot and feverishly sweaty, so I put him right in the bathtub. Just like the day before, he started making his pooping faces. Not wanting to have to scrub the tub again, I whipped him out and put him over the toilet…and just in the nick of time, too. And now, at age 9 months, Garrett has gone like a big boy.

*A little later, while giving him his reflux medicine and another dose of Tylenol, I felt something noticeably sharp sticking out of his lower gums. Yes, everyone, Garrett has (finally) taken his first steps into the world of chewing, tearing, and dentist appointments. His bottom left incisor is here, and by the looks of things, will be getting a neighbor before too long.

*At his appointment, Garrett was checked by a doctor at the practice who we hadn’t yet been seen by. After a thorough examination, it was determined that yes, Garrett was very congested. He suspected bronchiolitis, and sent us home with a nebulizer and a prescription for antibiotics, a hydrochloride solution (to be inhaled through the nebulizer), and a probiotic to counteract the diarrhea the antibiotics might cause. Because he wanted to rule out pneumonia, he also sent us to a local imaging lab with a referral for a chest x-ray.

*Turns out this new doctor is really and truly fabulous. After I was essentially turned away at the imaging lab because I didn’t have a male with me to hold Garrett on the x-ray table (apparently it’s against the law (though, more likely, just a company policy) for mothers, even if they are wearing a protective shield, to hold their own children in the event that they end up being pregnant while exposed to the radiation), I called the doctor back and asked him what he wanted me to do. He said he’d call the lab and talk to them himself, and a few minutes later I was being told by the receptionist that he was on his way over – he was going to hold Garrett himself. Can you believe this? Because I couldn’t. This doctor is currently ranking very high on my People I Love list. Garrett screamed through the x-ray, which broke my heart as I stood helpless out in the hallway. But happily, the x-rays looked good: no pneumonia. The doctor seemed relieved, but warned me that if Garrett doesn’t start to improve soon, he would likely end up being admitted to the hospital. He told me to come in the next morning for a follow-up appointment.

*I stopped by Rite Aid on my way home from the lab to pick up the prescriptions I’d dropped off right after the appointment. After spending a small fortune, my sick, cranky son and I headed home, toting with us what felt like the entire contents of the pharmacy. For the record, Garrett does not like being nebulized, nor does he find amoxicillin very tasty.

*The rest of Thursday is a daze. We spent most of the day wiping noses, dishing out medication, checking his temperature, and waiting, trying hard not to let my heart break into a thousand tiny pieces over the pathetic sounds of his sick little cries.

*The TV has been on quite a bit over the last few days in an attempt to distract me from getting inconsolably worried over Garrett’s health. Here are a few highlights:

  • Our turn came to check Enchanted out from the library, so we watched that Wednesday night. I’d wanted to see this, even though I was pretty sure it would be stupid, because everyone kept giving it such rave reviews. Turns out it was pretty funny.
  • I caught a little snippet of the Today show yesterday where they talked briefly about safety in NYC. The reporter was talking about the radical change this city has undergone over the last 30 years, citing that, “One recent statistical survey places New York right at the top of the list of the safest American cities – right up there with Provo, Utah.” That gave me a good chuckle.

*Our new bed was delivered yesterday morning. I was too drained and exhausted to help Blake set it up last night, so that will be a project for the weekend. I’m excited, though, to have a pretty bed to sleep in!

*Garrett woke up this morning a changed baby (thank heavens!). His fever broke while he slept, and his babbling (though still squeaky) smile has come back. We went to our follow-up appointment and the doctor was as pleased as I that Garrett is looking better. We’ll continue with the nebulizer and the medicine for the next ten days, at which point the antibiotics should be all consumed, and then we’ll head back to the doctor for another follow-up (to make sure that it was, in fact, antibiotic-curing bronchiolitis and not RSV or something else awful).

Garrett’s still a sick, sick little boy, and I’m completely worn out, but I think we both seem to be on the mend – or at least headed in that direction. Hopefully by the next time I post, we’ll be doing even better.

23 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh, that's so sad! I'm sorry you've had to care for a sick baby. The first time my DD got sick, it was really hard on me because I felt like it was my responsibility to protect her from getting sick and my responsibility to help her get better soon. It was very discouraging and I felt so helpless-- and I'm a pediatric nurse! It's hard to be a mother somedays because you love them so much. And it's wonderful to be a mother when you can make them feel better. Best wishes to Garrett. I hope things continue to get better for you all.

Jessica said...

Oh no! Nothing is as bad as your baby being sick! But I'm glad he's doing better. That Provo comment made me laugh.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Sad! I hope you and Garrett recover very very quickly! Sounds like a nightmare (especially the stinking pharmacy costs...argh!)

Rebecca said...

Wow. I hope that Garrett fully recovers quickly. That doesn't sound like fun for anyone! Good luck with it all!

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm going ignore all that sad stuff and look on the bright side... way to go poopie in the toilet, Garrett!

Kristeee said...

Oh, how sad! It's such a shame that we have to get sick in these mortal bodies, isn't it? I know it's supposed to make us appreciate being healthy, but it's rough. The doctor sounds like a winner, that's for sure. I'm so glad that things are looking up, and that your baby didn't have to be admitted to the hospital. Because that's really no fun.

AmyJane said...

Oh, those sick babies really take it out of you! And it's so scary when it's all happening at once. Sounds like things are on the upswing, but make sure you nap and rest a lot so you don't get it next. Also, SUPER doctor! I love hearing about doctor's who care like that and just do what has to be done without regard for their titles and positions.
Oh, and I meant to tell you about the poop in the tub...I personally think you lucked out that he had never done it before! Patrick's always suffered from a tendency towards constipation and a warmer than normal tub has always been the one sure fire cure. Fortunately his daddy has always been drafted into clean up duty while I attend to the boy, and now he can sit in there awhile and then hop onto the potty--much like oh-so-advanced Garrett did! :)

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

I am totally impressed with your doctor! Not very may would do that. Hope he's back to normal soon!

Nancy said...

Sounds like Dr. Keeper Forever! Bless Garrett's little heart, and yours. Thank goodness for a week end and Blake's help. There is rest for the weary.

KaLee said...

So sorry to hear, but glad Garrett is on the mend! Be sure to get some rest for yourself in there so you don't burn out!

Jenny said...

I swear, teething is such a nightmare. Your Dr is truly amazing, like you said. I have never had a dr give a probiotic to help counteract drugs before. Lucky you!

Wendy said...

Thank goodness for wonderful Doctors! I hope Garrett continues to improve quickly now.

RJ said...

Oh Lindsay, how sad! I was feeling so sorry for ourselves here with Sophia's crazy nose/congestion, but we have nothing to compare to that kinda pain! Thanks for helping me keep perspective! I'm so sorry you guys are having it rough though, I will keep Garrett in our prayers and you too!! Good thing tomorrow is Saturday and you can have the "changing of the guard"!

FoxyJ said...

Glad you made it through OK. I was just remembering that when S-Boogie was Little Dude's age (between 1 and 2) she ended up with chronic bronchiolitis and some kind of recurring flu that ate up nearly six months of our lives with medication, nebulizers, hospital stays, etc. Taking care of sick kids is hard!

Mallory said...

Bless your superman doctor. What a nice guy! But poor Garrett! I had deja vu reading your post. It sounds exactly like what Carson had. Looks like you guys won't be ending up in the hospital though (YAY!). Still, those nebulizer treatments are nearly impossible with a little one squirming and crying through the whole ordeal. Good luck with the recovery. I hope you can get some rest in and avoid contracting the grown up version of what your little guy has.

Claudia said...

Unfortunately the nebulizer is our Best Friend, since Nico was 2 months! The first thing the nurse told me was "the more he cryes the better it is for the medicine to break up the congestion" so that's what I kept repeting myself!
But it is so hard!!!!! But it gets better with time.

On the good side - I am very impressed with the poopy in the potty!!! and needless to say YOUR DOCTOR!!! (and a little bit jealous too ... I want one like that here!!). Good Job on the 1st tooth!!

Hang in there Mommy ... you can do this!
Love on your baby and tell your husband to love on both of you ...

You'll be on my prayers!

heath said...

Oh Linds, all my prayers for you and your adorable baby!

Lyndsie Miles said...

Oh! I'm sorry, Lindsay! Poor sick little guy! And very tired mommy! I'm glad he's on the up swing of things. I hope he gets better quickly! And you get some sleep!

Carrie said...

That's so scary. I'm glad you have such a good doctor that cared enough to come help. I'm so glad that you both are on the mend. Take care.

Sara said...

I am so glad Garrett's doing better! I didn't read this until today...I can only imagine how worried you've been. Hope you all get some much needed rest this weekend!

Desmama said...

My goodness! I do hope things get better! It sounds like you've had an eventful few days. I hope he's back to normal before long.

goddessdivine said...

Your doctor is awesome. (That law is insane.) Glad to hear that the little guy is on the mend. I was a little worried as I was reading this post, but glad there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

And yay for a new bed!! That's always exciting.

Katie said...

Poor, poor little baby and mama. Teething AND bronchitis! Whew!